• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medication after surgery - Diabetes

penguina

I have been pondering for a few days - not good for the brain but have come up with these questions, and apologies in advance for lack of knowledge. I will ask them on different threads to keep things simpler (I hope!)

If you are diabetic (T2 that is), things improve after WLS, but you are still diabetic right? You are just diabetic controlled by diet? Although I know some will still need medication. I am newly diagnosed, and don't really have problems, but later in life can you start things go bad, and you start to need medication and have diabetic related problems? I read the discussion about diabetes and dumping with interest. Thanks Trisha

hi, I am recently Bypassed and have to go to the dr's today about the t2 and hope they will reduce or take me off the medication

rich

Before surgery I was on Byetta injections, 2 other tabs and 2000mg of metformin a day, now I'm free from them all.

I'm diabetic, i'll always be diabetic, i just don't need medication as it's controlled by diet now...

I don't know if in twenty years time i'll suffer any symptoms/problems of diabetes as i don't know anyone that far out from surgery. I'm thinking to myself if i got type 2 diabetes because i was obese and ate crap and i eventually get out of the obese category and don't eat crap (very often) then i can't see why i should have problems. Saying that, i'm no doctor, it's just a wait and see i guess...

I was T2 and on 1000g Metformin a day pre-op, since my bypass I havnt had any meds for it. Some say its a cure but some say it just puts it in remission so I dont really know. Cant answer about the effects in years to come :D XX

I was just wondering if it stayed on your medical records as being T2.
Some say its a cure but some say it just puts it in remission so I dont really know.
That is the question I was thinking and wanted an answer to LOL

I have just had my normal sight test and it was free as I am on medication, but I was wondering about the annual retinal screening. Do you still get that? I did show background retinopathy in one eye back in the summer, although my optician couldn't see any signs, he said it must have been very small amount on the periphery.

Like you Julie I brought it on myself with bad eating, and I wouldn't have known about being T2 if I hadn't started the WLS programme, so would have been one of the many 'undiagnosed' until things got worse. Just thinking...

Thanks Dotty, Just my mind been racing a bit:thankyou:

I came of meds when i came out of hospital I am type 2 and will be going for more blood tests in May. I test my sugar once a week but dont worry about it because i feel good x

Glad you feel good Wendy, that is great news, how long since you had your op?

I was type 2 on insulin.

None since I was 11 months post-op.

I was told it is in remission - and can be considered diet controlled - but retinal damge can be ongoing and annual testing/photos is still required.

My surgeon says that WLS hasn't really been done for long enough to know whether the diabetes will stay in remission

We can but hope!

xxxx

That is good news for you Angela congrats on how well you have done, That is an amazing loss and turn around of your health.

I was told it is in remission - and can be considered diet controlled - but retinal damge can be ongoing and annual testing/photos is still required.

I guess then to be safe, it is good to do annual checks at least. And I would guess they do HBA1C in with at least annual bloods.

Interesting post, i have been wondering the same thing myself. I am type 2 and on victoza, metformin and gliclazide(sp). I personally think it must go into remmision but fear it will raise it's ugly head, as maturity onset later on in my life...i suppose only time will tell. I will say my surgeon said cure but having lived with it for 10 years and my dad's had maturity onset since i was 8..i just can't see it..but i suppose it's the likes of us that will provide the research in years to come..fingers crossed my surgery will be a cure as long as i have self control

I was type 2 diabetic and was on 4 metformin a day and 2 prandin a day and also on Simvastatin for high cholestrol. I got taken off all my medication in hospital a day after the operation when all my readings where normal. I have since have various checkups with my blood sugar - all of which have been around 5 and my cholestrol is at 3.2. I'm over a year out of surgery and although don't take any medication I am still required to have the diabetes checkups and have been told that I will always be susceptible but as long as I keep my weight in check then all should be fine. My eye tests and foot checks have always come back normal so hopefully I haven't had no lasting damage. I was going to ask if anyone has had to return their exemption card as I have been sent a renewal form but as I am not on any medication I am not eligible for it now.

Hi Stella Thanks very informative. As you say "T2 diet alone" you are not eligible for the exemption card, and I would guess if you filled in the renewal they would not process it - or it wouldn't get signed off.

I think I will still be on Thyroxine after albeit a reduced dose, so I will still be eligible for the exemption card. I hope that is the case, or I would buy a prepayment again, as I think there are items after surgery that the Doc prescribes.

You have done so well a BMI of 24 you must feel brilliant?! Your subsequent blood sugars - were they fasting ones? I was only insulin resistant on my fasting blood sugars but stayed up high on the Glucose Tolerance test at 12.5 and 11.1 after two hours. Trisha

PS your measurements are great too. I don't think I have ever been a size 10 maybe when I was at primary school !

The blood tests I have had done at the diabetes clinics were fasting ones but I have since tested my blood during the day 2 hours after eating with my own machine and they were still 5. The thing that puzzled me with the diabetes medication is that my blood sugar immediately came down a day after the op even though I was still obese. I did some research and apparently the part of the intestine they bypass (the Jejunum) deals with sugar so I wonder whether thats the reason it reacts so quickly and the reason why I can't stand anything overly sweet since the op (I was a strictly 2 sweetners in my tea gal but the first day after the op I couldn't stand any in my tea)

Yes it is funny how instant it is. Logically you would think it would take weeks or months to come down and stabilize. It is amazing how it all works 'inside'.

I am just hoping I don't go off tea as I have read some people have, as I already don't like coffee! I used to say I was a savoury person, but I think hormones and maybe pre menopausal has made me lurch from one way to another. Sometimes I just craved sweet things, often just after I had eaten a meal And that wasn't to do with being a piggy - it was a definite sweet craving. Sometimes I would just have to have a spoon or two of sugar or Jam.

medication I newly diabetic I been on tablets for past month medication I am on are making me less hungry which good thing but bad to be diabetic I lost 12. Pounds havnt had my bypass yet

Last edited:
Back