• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabeties question???

lisa x

is very happy!
HI..
I just wondered if you could tell me how many of you managed to..(for want of a better word) reverse your diabetes.?:)
How many have come off medications.
I am really interested to know how you coped with liquid diets/low carb diets before surgery,
Also how you coped with insulin reduction before and after surgery?
thanks, Lisa x

I was'nt on injections for diabetes. I had metformin and still do but my sugar levels are now in control. As for the pre op diet, I did the milk and yoghurt. It does seem hard for the first few days but it definitely gets easier. Just remember why you are doing this pre op diet and you will get through it. Good luck xxx

I coped with the pre op milk only really well. Since op off actos and metformin halved, blood sugars are between 5.3 and 6.1 two weeks post op. Hioping I'll be able to come off the metformin real soon

I am type II diabetic, as I was for around three years before my bypass. I had gone through different treatments and everything seemed to have little or no effect, so I went on to insulin a few months before my surgery.
I stopped all medication on day one of my pre-op diet and have never taken anything since. There was a week or so a couple of months back when my blood sugar kept spiking into the double figures, but that soon stopped, then a few weeks back my blood sugar kept dropping big time, I was sick of having hypos, so I looked to see what could cause it and it seemed to be if I had a carby breakfast (cereal) so I make sure to try to have a protein breakfast (grilled bacon and dry griddled egg/scrambled egg) though even if I have cereal now it doesnt seem to happen as much, maybe because I am now sure to have a mid morning snack.
I struggled a little on the pre-op once I went to the clear soups and s/f jelly on the second week, my blood sugar just wouldnt stay up, but I managed to stick with it.
I cant call myself reversed or cured or anything, but I AM diet controlled now, which is excellent and I am in a much better position now than I have been for a few years. Its very nice not to be taking Metformin (always upset my tummy) or jabbing myself with needles (though that never really bothered me to be honest).
I was told I couldnt do the milk diet as my pre-op because of the diabetes, which gutted me as I LOVE milk, ah well.
Wow, I blabbered on there lol
Take care
Steph xx

thank you steph.
how do/did you cope with hypos and not being able to eat to compensate..after all you cant just have a high carb snack to bring you around(if you know what i mean)
did you need to use the hypo gels..

lisa x
p.s your before and after photos look amazing(just had to say that) xx

Thanks Lisa xx
During the pre-op I had to have extra soup, I worked out that it contained enough carbs to up my sugars a little bit. That and I was allowed to have two small glasses of clear apple juice each day, I had tried not to have those but that last few days before the op I sipped them during the day and it was just enough, combined with the soup, to keep my sugars at an acceptable level.
Steph xx

I was on over 100 units insulin a day pre-op and did the low carb pre-op diet.

The diabetic liaison nurse told me to halve my insulin - go back to 4x day testing and alter it accordingly.

I woke up post-op with really high blood sugars - usual with me after surgery - but stayed on half dose insulin. Stopped it for a short while but blood sugars crept up so back on quick acting insulin - then told I needed my glargine back and stop the rapid one - went onto 8 units daily then down to 4 - when my HbA1c was 5.8 I stopped the insulin and haven't had any since - that was Nov 09. Last HbA1c was 5.4 so am cautiously considered a resolved diabetic.

When I had my second knee replaced in March I spiked one high blood sugar immediately post-op then they settled - unheard of before.

Hope it stays resolved !!

Angela xx

I was on over 100 units insulin a day pre-op and did the low carb pre-op diet.

The diabetic liaison nurse told me to halve my insulin - go back to 4x day testing and alter it accordingly.

I woke up post-op with really high blood sugars - usual with me after surgery - but stayed on half dose insulin. Stopped it for a short while but blood sugars crept up so back on quick acting insulin - then told I needed my glargine back and stop the rapid one - went onto 8 units daily then down to 4 - when my HbA1c was 5.8 I stopped the insulin and haven't had any since - that was Nov 09. Last HbA1c was 5.4 so am cautiously considered a resolved diabetic.

When I had my second knee replaced in March I spiked one high blood sugar immediately post-op then they settled - unheard of before.

Hope it stays resolved !!

Angela xx

thanks Angela.
wow no meds!!!
the thought of that to me is like a dream..
every reponse to this is making me more determined that this this is the right way for me to go.

did you suffer from hypos post op.?
fingers x you stay in remission.
Lisa x

No I haven't had any hypos post-op!!

DSers aren't meant to "dump" but I've had a couple of occasions when I've felt like people have described a dump.

Cos my diabetes didnt go straight away I didnt think it would go - but I felt SO much healthier post-op I wasn't that bothered really.

More bothered by the fact my pain didn't go away like I thought it would - I'd been told so often if I lost weight my back would get less painful - well I'm the lightest I've been for about 35 years now and my backs been a sod this past week!!

It will be worth it I'm sure

Love Angela xx

I was / am a type 2 diabetic. Pre-op I was on roziglizone, metformin and glycerzide all at max doses. My blood sugars were between 18-20! Hb1ac was 8.9. I was a disaster. I managed to escape insulin injections as I was 2 weeks away from op. However pre op diet ny bs were still very high (15-20) until 2 days pre surgery when I suddenly had hypos of 3 and 4. I had my bypass and was on insulin pump for first 3 days as standard in the hospital where I went to. Then it came down and my sugars stayed around 5-8 for a few days. I came home (my surgery was open) after 1 week and was on a tiny amount of glycerzide. Within 24hours I had a hypo , phoned diabetic team and stopped all meds! None since. Sugars around 5 pretty much consisitently. Am I diet controlled, cured or in remission? Dont know and to be honest dont care. I feel great, no meds. and stable sugars! WOW!

Hi

I was on two tablets of Metformin per day, pre-op and was told to stop all tablets post op. I checked my sugar 2 times a day for the first week post op now I check it every few days and it's always around 4-5.

My nurse said that I should check them every few days for the next month then weekly after that.

So I think I'm in remission, for the moment anyway :D.

As for my pre-op diet, I decided to do the slimfast one as I'd done Lighter Life before and quite liked their shakes so I thought SF would be similar - it wasn't for me at all. So I switched to the low carb 1000Cal diet. I had a major 'blip' for 4 days in my diet and had to really rally for the last 5 days to get my liver shrunk - lucky for me it worked.

Good luck and if you stay positive through the diet you'll be fine.

Poppy x

Hi Lisa. I've been a Type 1 for 25 years and Type 2 for 2 years. I'm on ridiculous amounts of insulin and metformin daily. I'm having a bypass on July 17th to try and combat the insulin resistance. I too have all these worries about what happens after the op regarding how much insulin, what if I go hypo...
I can try and let you know how things go if you like.
Alex xx

Hi Lisa. I've been a Type 1 for 25 years and Type 2 for 2 years. I'm on ridiculous amounts of insulin and metformin daily. I'm having a bypass on July 17th to try and combat the insulin resistance. I too have all these worries about what happens after the op regarding how much insulin, what if I go hypo...
I can try and let you know how things go if you like.
Alex xx
i would love to hear how you get on....
the one piece of information i cannot find on here(internet)is how people cope with a rapid insulin reduction following surgery..and how hypos are corrected on liquid diets.:confused:
it was suggested by one diabetic nurse that i carry hypo gels....ideal short term...but it still doesn't answer the question of what do you eat/drink to compensate.
I wish you well for the 17 and please let me know how you get on..
Lisa x

I have done well with no diabetes meds since the night before the op.
However, twice recently I have had a hypo. This evening was 2 hours after a meal and it hit 2.6 and I felt like *(^% Was fine after a glass of milk. How odd, I will ask dietician next week when i see her
Shells
x

i had fat mans diabetes type 2 when i was fat ;) always around 12 to 18 levels and struggled, was on 4 850 metformin a day plus loads of others then after the op last july it started dropping and by dec i was off every medication prescribed, metformin,atenelol,etc about 15 to 20 tabs a day, now for 7 months a perfect 5ish and just take 1 or 2 vitamin tabs thats all :)

i had fat mans diabetes type 2 when i was fat ;) always around 12 to 18 levels and struggled, was on 4 850 metformin a day plus loads of others then after the op last july it started dropping and by dec i was off every medication prescribed, metformin,atenelol,etc about 15 to 20 tabs a day, now for 7 months a perfect 5ish and just take 1 or 2 vitamin tabs thats all :)

hi..
that's good to hear...have you had any hypos since your op...?
Lisa

Hi, I was taken off my medication the day I was discharged from the hospital. I wasnt on insulin just metformin and since then (almost six months) by levels have been 5. something and thankfully all is ok. I have my diabetic check up on the 21st July and it will be interesting to see what they say as I havent been there since before my op

Hi, I was taken off my medication the day I was discharged from the hospital. I wasnt on insulin just metformin and since then (almost six months) by levels have been 5. something and thankfully all is ok. I have my diabetic check up on the 21st July and it will be interesting to see what they say as I havent been there since before my op
hi...
please keep me posted as to what they say..will be interested to hear what your h test is??Lisa x

Back