• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver reduction diet!!

paulineiw

Six Month Post Op
Am I the only person not sticking totally to the liver reduction diet!!!!! I am not eating anything that I shouldn't be but probably eating too much ie 2 slices of meat and 4oz mince rather than a small portion, is that going to be ok? I am losing weight, lost around 1olb so I must be doing something ok!! My diabetes has gone from a sugar read of high 20s to now very low, possibly too low, just shows I was eating too many carbs!!!
Having the bypass on Saturday at the Spire in Southampton, so frightened but know that it will be the start of a new life and a new me, it will be nice to buy clothes that I like rather than...ok, it's a size 24, it'll fit, I'll have it without even trying it on!! To be able to go out and be ashamed of how I look, how ever much people tell me how good I look! .

Anyone have any idea how long recovery should take... I will be moving in with my 88 year old father who I normally care for, no access to a computer, no popping to the beach as I won't be able to drive! EEK!! I WILL GO CRAZY!!!!
I am going to miss work so much, I am a chef so there is lifting ( and food!!!! )
involved, I reckon to be off for around a month, what do you reckon?
I love the support of the group, I know that I will get the true facts from you guys.... fingers crossed for me on Saturday Pauline:D

I don't know anything about the liver shrinking diet yet...but I would follow it to the letter if I were you.

But I just wanted to wish you all the very best...hope it all goes well for you...let us all know as soon as you can how it all goes.

~hugs~

Am I the only person not sticking totally to the liver reduction diet!!!!! I am not eating anything that I shouldn't be but probably eating too much ie 2 slices of meat and 4oz mince rather than a small portion, is that going to be ok? I am losing weight, lost around 1olb so I must be doing something ok!! My diabetes has gone from a sugar read of high 20s to now very low, possibly too low, just shows I was eating too many carbs!!!
Having the bypass on Saturday at the Spire in Southampton, so frightened but know that it will be the start of a new life and a new me, it will be nice to buy clothes that I like rather than...ok, it's a size 24, it'll fit, I'll have it without even trying it on!! To be able to go out and be ashamed of how I look, how ever much people tell me how good I look! .

Anyone have any idea how long recovery should take... I will be moving in with my 88 year old father who I normally care for, no access to a computer, no popping to the beach as I won't be able to drive! EEK!! I WILL GO CRAZY!!!!
I am going to miss work so much, I am a chef so there is lifting ( and food!!!! )
I love the support of the group, I know that I will get the true facts from you guys.... fingers crossed for me on Saturday Pauline:D
Hi had bypas 1st april, i was on milk diet so you're lucky being on low cal diet, i managed really well on milk diet with my diabetes type 1 lol.. if you are having low blood sugars you need to speak to diabetic nurse or dietician to reduce your insulin intake. As for recovery time i had 6 weeks off work, you will find you will get tired very quickly due to lack of nutrition to start and lack of nutrients my energy started to come back around 3 1/2 wks my job can be strenuous at times so thats why i chose to take the whole 6 wks off. hope this helps. xx

try and stick to the diet as much as poss it not about loosing weight it about loosing the fat around the liver which shrinks it making it easier for them to opperate but good luck x

Hello there,

The pre-op diet is there for a couple of reasons, firstly to lose the glycogen fat stores in your liver, so it will not bleed if knocked during surgery and also making access to it easier.

Secondly, the pre-op is too prepare you mentally for the radical changes in your diet after the operation.

The pre-op is not forever, so it would be best to stick to it.

Just think how you will feel if you wake up and they have not been able to do the bypass.

Think of this as your new start, not the operation. Your life and relationship with food will never be the same.

Start again tomorrow with a new resolve.:)

stick to whats on the pre op diet sheet to the letter as they can see if it hasnt been followed as the 1st thing they see is the liver with the cam when they go in. i know a couple of people thats woke up with the scars but no wls because they have not commited to the pre op diet and the surgeon has chosen to pull the plug on it. its not worth cheating.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind comments, I am finding it hard to stick to the diet but it is quantity that is my problem, have not had anything fatty except a slice or 2 of ham which is ok I hope. It is a bit challenge working with food all day!! It is AMAZING that I have managed to lose weight, a real first for me.
I am having the op at Southampton, the surgeon in Mr Burne, hope he's in a good mood on Saturday!!! Pauline

Hi pauline and good luck for the weekend. I also didnt stick to it to the book I did mine over christmas and cheated on Xmas day. I had my op and then had 10 weeks of work. I was very tired and couldnt walk upright for many weeks

Hi Pauline

Mr Byrne was also my surgeon - he was great and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

He will come and see you before your op and will ask whether you have stuck to the liver reduction diet. I would strongly advise you to stick to it because as Caz has said the last thing you want is to wake up and find that he hasn't been able to operate.

Go for it and good luck!

I will be thinking of you

x

Hi Pauline

I can only second what the other members have said ,I was on the milk and yoghurt diet for 10 days and i didnt cheat,but i woke up with scars and no wls,mine was due to a fatty liver,due to the unhealthy life style i kept before that wake up call.

The liver shrinking diet isnt for long and really is worth sticking to and as you have said you have lost 10lbs which is brilliant .
Keep up the good work.

As for time off work,i am going back on my first night shift tonight and i have had 4 weeks off,but i have had a gastric sleeve not the bypass,everyone recoverys differently,you will know yourself when you feel well enough to return to work.

Good Luck for Saturday and we will see you on the losing side real soon.

Welcome and good luck with your op.
I would follow the diet to the letter just to be sure but i am having a band so maybe another bypasser will have more words of wisdom.

I've found LS diet very hard most days and worryingly easy on others, made me think I'd done it wrong, and most days I've gone a little bit over but I have tried really really hard.

People I've spoken to have said first week you'll be out of it, and some go to back work after 4 weeks some 6. there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules, how could there be. I've gone and bought tickets for a festival in 6 weeks so I've got my fingers well and truely crossed and hope all goes very well tomo.

No pooter!!!!!!! Yuk got any friends with a laptop you could borrow? can you get internet on your phone ~ thats an option I always forget till mine breaks down.

Good luck for Sat I',hoping to be off my face, but if I haven't floated away I shall think of healing thoughts for you
XxxX

I'm back!!!

Finally had the op on the 6th June, did have a few complications and had to stay in hospital 6 days on water only,, but, now seem to be doing ok and to be honest seem able to eat quite a lot, about 2-3 tablespoons at a time, is that normal? A girl in the paper yesterday said she was full after a teaspoon of spinach!!! How much weight is it normal to lose, I seem to be losing about 1lb a day, just under a stone since the op, I didn;t lose any weight in hospital as I was on Glucose and a drip the whole time I was in and very bloated, I am afraid I am eating too much!!! Anyway I have no regrets, here's to a healthy future.
Most importantly, I no longer need to inject for my diabetes, amazing!! Pauline

Hi there, FAB news on no more injections. That in it self has got to be worth the surgery. I'm a bander so can't really advise you on the amount you're eating but someone with experience will be along soon.
Good luck with your weight loss xxGaynorxx

Finally had the op on the 6th June, did have a few complications and had to stay in hospital 6 days on water only,, but, now seem to be doing ok and to be honest seem able to eat quite a lot, about 2-3 tablespoons at a time, is that normal? A girl in the paper yesterday said she was full after a teaspoon of spinach!!! How much weight is it normal to lose, I seem to be losing about 1lb a day, just under a stone since the op, I didn;t lose any weight in hospital as I was on Glucose and a drip the whole time I was in and very bloated, I am afraid I am eating too much!!! Anyway I have no regrets, here's to a healthy future.
Most importantly, I no longer need to inject for my diabetes, amazing!! Pauline
Hi welcome back, welcome to the losing side. Well done on no more injections are u type 1 or type 2 diabetic? im type 1 and have to continue with injections just constantly adjusting my insulin. As for eating it sounds like your eating the right amounts, are you on sloppies? a ramikin should fill you up, i found i still had about a spoonful left in my ramakin every other day. xxx

Back