• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabeties question???

HI..
I just wondered if you could tell me how many of you managed to..(for want of a better word) reverse your diabetes.?:)
How many have come off medications.
I am really interested to know how you coped with liquid diets/low carb diets before surgery,
Also how you coped with insulin reduction before and after surgery?
thanks, Lisa x
I had GB surgery April 1st 2009. I was off all insulin and oral meds by August. I still see my endocrinologist and my GP refuses to classify me as "cured" until I go a couple years with normal blood glucose levels. It's good though from an insurance standpoint. My doctor did not require me to go on any special liquid diet or milk diet before surgery. I can't assist you there other than to say my co-worker did have to and did fine on it. I have my life back thatnks to surgery. It's not easy ...old habits remain but I'm glad I had the surgery. April 1st 2009 I weighed 324lbs. Today I am 204lbs! I feel great and can't wait till weekends now to see what fun life has in store for me.

I'm coming to the end of the pre-op diet and have had no hypo's. I just did loads of blood tests and was extra cautious regarding carbohydrate to insulin regime - this'll have to continue well after the op! I'm worried about hypos post op, and basically the only think I think would be suitable is those glucose gels. I've stocked up! Have to say though, the pre-op diet made me pull the diabetes back to basics, as it were. The only thing bothering me now is, I'm absolutely petrified about the op.

I'm coming to the end of the pre-op diet and have had no hypo's. I just did loads of blood tests and was extra cautious regarding carbohydrate to insulin regime - this'll have to continue well after the op! I'm worried about hypos post op, and basically the only think I think would be suitable is those glucose gels. I've stocked up! Have to say though, the pre-op diet made me pull the diabetes back to basics, as it were. The only thing bothering me now is, I'm absolutely petrified about the op.
hi..
glad your doing well on the pre op diet.
did you do low cal diet or milk diet??
did they make you reduce insulin intake(like by half)before the diet???
please let me know how you get on post op..

i will be thinking of ya.. on the 17th..
what did you decide to have in the end..sleeve or bypass?
xx

Last edited:
Hi Lisa. I did the slimfast diet pre-op and used the DAFNE scale of 1 unit of short acting insulin to 1 unit of carbs and it worked ok.
I had my bypass on the 17th. It was a "complicated" operation, but I was home 5 days later. That's when my sugars went mental! I couldn't get them down and it looks like my body went into post-op shock. This week my sugars have begun to settle down and are now just about back to normal. I'm still using the 1 - 1 system of gaging how much insulin I need and testing regularly. I have had a couple of hypo's and have "dumped"! I found that orange juice and glucose tablets work for me. I tried the glucose gel but it's well expensive! I always knew the bypass wouldn't cure the Type 1 diabetes but I'm no longer on Metformin and it looks like the insulin I take is actually starting to work, which is great. I'm afraid though it has been a case of trial and error, and I'm sure when I go onto solid food I'm going to have to re-think again! If you want any more info, just give me a shout.

Hi Lisa. I did the slimfast diet pre-op and used the DAFNE scale of 1 unit of short acting insulin to 1 unit of carbs and it worked ok.
I had my bypass on the 17th. It was a "complicated" operation, but I was home 5 days later. That's when my sugars went mental! I couldn't get them down and it looks like my body went into post-op shock. This week my sugars have begun to settle down and are now just about back to normal. I'm still using the 1 - 1 system of gaging how much insulin I need and testing regularly. I have had a couple of hypo's and have "dumped"! I found that orange juice and glucose tablets work for me. I tried the glucose gel but it's well expensive! I always knew the bypass wouldn't cure the Type 1 diabetes but I'm no longer on Metformin and it looks like the insulin I take is actually starting to work, which is great. I'm afraid though it has been a case of trial and error, and I'm sure when I go onto solid food I'm going to have to re-think again! If you want any more info, just give me a shout.
Hi Wibble.
Glad your doing ok..
At least the metformin has gone..
I did question my nurse regarding the hypo gels..because of the dumping issues..I guess you are right when you say its trial and error.
I haven't had my op yet but this was the major questions..(niggles) I have about after surgery.
I would be interested to hear what your h test results are over the next few months.
Keep us updated...this is an interesting thread..all positive so far.
x x x

It's been a month since the op and my insulin's come right down - I'm managing on long acting morning and evening and very,very little short acting during the day. I'm dead pleased!!

It's been a month since the op and my insulin's come right down - I'm managing on long acting morning and evening and very,very little short acting during the day. I'm dead pleased!!
hi wibble..
I am dead chuffed for you too....
its very reassuring to know this....
I have concluded that immediately post op to expect high blood sugars.

Now your a month out,are you still having hypos,or do you feel more control with the weight loss.
Again..it would be interesting to hear what your next h test is..
keep us posted
xxxx

I never had hypos post op. I reduced my insulin by half for the pre-op diet - with help from the diabetic liaison nurse - and carried on with it post-op reducing the insulin as my blood sugars fell.
I was offered metformin instead of insulin but refused as it gives me diabolical bowel effects!! :(

My HBa1C when they stopped my insulin was 5.7 and the last one 6 months after I stopped was 5.

Cholesterol really low too :)

Good luck

Angela

I never had hypos post op. I reduced my insulin by half for the pre-op diet - with help from the diabetic liaison nurse - and carried on with it post-op reducing the insulin as my blood sugars fell.
I was offered metformin instead of insulin but refused as it gives me diabolical bowel effects!! :(

My HBa1C when they stopped my insulin was 5.7 and the last one 6 months after I stopped was 5.

Cholesterol really low too :)

Good luck

Angela
wow Angela..that's really good to hear..
It is very positive feed back from a pre opper to hear...:)
I do have many concerns about the liquid diet post op.
But I feel more confident knowing that this op is going to help me get my blood sugars under some sort of control...
Metformin is not nice I agree..:eek:but without it my cycles would be really irregular coz I have poly cystic ovaries....
Let s hope that with the weight loss this may get better too...(so I never have to blame the dog again):D
x x

hi wibble..
I am dead chuffed for you too....
its very reassuring to know this....
I have concluded that immediately post op to expect high blood sugars.

Now your a month out,are you still having hypos,or do you feel more control with the weight loss.
Again..it would be interesting to hear what your next h test is..
keep us posted
xxxx

Hi Lisa. Sorry for not posting sooner - things keep changing!
My last HBa was 7 and that was 2 weeks ago. However, I found my blood sugars had begun swinging - too low in the afternoon and too high in the evening. The insulin I was on had a peak and a trough and that was what my blood sugars were doing. So... this weekend I swapped to a newer insulin that provides a very flat basal platform and so far it's working ok - no hypo's or really high blood sugars. I don't know why my sugars suddenly went nuts - maybe it was to do with the old insulin finally working as it should have done and it wasn't before the op, and losing weight highlighting it. So now I'm on the same amounts of the new stuff as the old and still little amounts of short acting, and the insulin actually does what it's supposed to do now which I'm v pleased about! I've found also that certain types of food do make my sugars rocket (basmati rice!!) and I think a lot of of it's due to how my body is digesting and absorbing food,which has been drastically altered by the op. As it should do! As for hypo's, my diabetic nurse suggested concentrated ribena followed by a piece of bread 10 mins later and it seems to work fine and doesn't makeme dump either! Due to the altered digestion, hypo's are over quicker too.
I'm sure that as time goes on things will change again as more weight comes off and I get more active, etc. When I have a bad day I have to sit down and think about the pre-op me compared with the post-op me. Pre-op insulin didn't work as it should, and now it does (even if I had to change types of insulin), and that can only be a good thing! As can losing 3.5 stones and 3 dress sizes - yay!
I hope some of this is useful xx

I was on 3 x metformin before my op & came off it whilst on the pre-op I have gone from being in the 8's to being in the high 4's (sometimes I've slipped in the 3's so have to watch that) I'm only 10 days post op too. xxx

Hi Lisa. Sorry for not posting sooner - things keep changing!
My last HBa was 7 and that was 2 weeks ago. However, I found my blood sugars had begun swinging - too low in the afternoon and too high in the evening. The insulin I was on had a peak and a trough and that was what my blood sugars were doing. So... this weekend I swapped to a newer insulin that provides a very flat basal platform and so far it's working ok - no hypo's or really high blood sugars. I don't know why my sugars suddenly went nuts - maybe it was to do with the old insulin finally working as it should have done and it wasn't before the op, and losing weight highlighting it. So now I'm on the same amounts of the new stuff as the old and still little amounts of short acting, and the insulin actually does what it's supposed to do now which I'm v pleased about! I've found also that certain types of food do make my sugars rocket (basmati rice!!) and I think a lot of of it's due to how my body is digesting and absorbing food,which has been drastically altered by the op. As it should do! As for hypo's, my diabetic nurse suggested concentrated ribena followed by a piece of bread 10 mins later and it seems to work fine and doesn't makeme dump either! Due to the altered digestion, hypo's are over quicker too.
I'm sure that as time goes on things will change again as more weight comes off and I get more active, etc. When I have a bad day I have to sit down and think about the pre-op me compared with the post-op me. Pre-op insulin didn't work as it should, and now it does (even if I had to change types of insulin), and that can only be a good thing! As can losing 3.5 stones and 3 dress sizes - yay!
I hope some of this is useful xx

hi wibble..
thank you updating this post...
wow ..well done 3.5 stone ..3 dress sizes...and insulin that works..
I know this is the route I have to take...I know there will be rough times..bit long term I know it the right thing to do.
Please do keep me/us updated because I am sure your not just helping me with the diabetes issues/questions raised.
I have finally got my first appointment through for the hospital..I hope the nurse I see/speak to is ready for 101 diabetic related questions lol
As for the foods that make you rocket...(even though I haven't had my op)mine is pasta in any shape or form....just don't touch the stuff any more...lol
X x xXX

I was on 3 x metformin before my op & came off it whilst on the pre-op I have gone from being in the 8's to being in the high 4's (sometimes I've slipped in the 3's so have to watch that) I'm only 10 days post op too. xxx
hi..
i would keep an eye on that..
i would be interested to hear how your correcting this without dumping at this stage....
xxxx

Just wondering how peeps who were previously on insulin are doing post op?

Were you taken straight off your insulin post op?

Or were you tested for a while before your meds were stopped and insulin post op?

Thanking you.

Love and hugs xxx

No insulin since the day before the op!

I'm hoping my insulin days are gone for now.... I will know in a few months time...

My blood is stable around 5 to 7, although I'm only on post op liquids yet.

For those who may be interested, they put me on a 'sliding scale' drip which was a concentration of glucose, insulin and water and eventually because I'd been reducing my insulin for four weeks pre op on the pre op diet.... it seemed to help.

Post op, I'm tired and healing, but feel better not feeling 'diabetic'... that dry taste has gone, I was guzzling the large bottles of Fanta Zero to quench my thirst, now a few sips of water is brilliant!

So I'll wait and see but for now it's been a great start, and gives hopes for people with diabetes and deteriorating health.

Love and hugs xxx

Back