• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you inform the DLA benefits people about your surgery?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I just wondered as I currently receive DLA but it's for mental health rather than weight. However my weight was mentioned on the form as one of the symptoms of my depression.
I'd rather not have to inform them straight away in case they make me fill that awful form in again. Also, I wouldn't want to be worrying about finances whilst I recovered from surgery. I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here lol but I just wondered about it.
I would hope that losing weight would make me feel much better about myself, and perhaps I'd have the confidence to go back to work again. But I'd rather do it at my own pace.

If you receive DLA for mental health rather than your weight then I can't see a reason for you to let them know. If you do tell them it should'nt make a difference to your benefit if they assessed you for the mental health side of your claim. Don't take my word on it and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrongxx

Hi
In all honesty I would tell them only because as you say it is not your weight that you are on DLA for so it wont matter to your income however if you dont tell them and they find out you will be in trouble for not telling them.
Honesty is teh best policy almost all the time x

I have a broad understanding of the benefits system as part of my job as a money adviser, however it is impossible to say whether losing weight will affect your care and mobility needs that you receive this benefit for.

I would advise you to let them know just to be on the safe side because you dont want to end up with a benefits overpayment.

When most recently I was assessed I spoke to my decision maker. I asked him about this and he said that if my care or mobility needs change then I should let them know but I do not need to tell them if my treatment changes.
I was asking about this with regards to the surgery and so I reckon this should apply to your query too.
I know what you mean about not wanting to face the forms before you need to and as DLA is paid out for your needs and not for your diagnosis you only need inform them if your needs change. At least that is how I understood it.

Hope that helps

Why not ring them and make an anonymous enquiry?

When most recently I was assessed I spoke to my decision maker. I asked him about this and he said that if my care or mobility needs change then I should let them know but I do not need to tell them if my treatment changes.
I was asking about this with regards to the surgery and so I reckon this should apply to your query too.
I know what you mean about not wanting to face the forms before you need to and as DLA is paid out for your needs and not for your diagnosis you only need inform them if your needs change. At least that is how I understood it.

Hope that helps

That makes perfect sense, and actually until your care and/or mobility needs change I cant see why they need to know you have had the surgery.

Weight was only part of your mental health prognosis,who says your depression will disappear when you lose weight?In my case the depression makes my weight worse not the other way around!

Back