• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet coke

lyzzyanne

Happy shrinking bypasser!
I don't want to be shot down in flames but would like to know the reason that coke is banned after op?? I understand the fizz aspect but if it was flat and it was no sugar how is hat different from drink no sugar squash??

Love curious of Herts

I don't want to be shot down in flames but would like to know the reason that coke is banned after op?? I understand the fizz aspect but if it was flat and it was no sugar how is hat different from drink no sugar squash??

Love curious of Herts

It is OK if you shake all the fizz out of it, but why would you want to drink it flat :rolleyes: blurggg :) It only takes a week or two to break an addiction so go for it :) xxx

To be honest the fizz is only part of the problem, whether it stretches our pouches is yet unproven and unlikely to ever be so, and as you say you can let it go flat first so what's the problem?

Well I asked a well known American surgeon this and he said that the sweetness of the diet soda can trigger a craving for other sweet foods. He did a study of his patients and found that the vast majority of his patients who failed and gained weight had gone back to drinking diet soda. That was enough for to stay away from them thanks

Thats informative, I was curious. I haven't had any for ages so I was curious, its nice to have a reason apart from a straight ban!!

The fake sugars in it apparently spike actual sugar cravings and over eating xx

Plus Aspartame (sweetner) has very mixed reviews so is really to be avoided as much as possible ... back to the corporation wine I guess, lol ... we only risk alzheimers with that :eek: xxx

I had major problems with diet soda's pre op that have had me avoid them now for well over three years and of course most definitely post op - I actually found that they lowered my blood sugars quite severely Château eau de tap chilled in the fridge does me nice lol

Before my pre op I didn't think I would ever be able to give coke up . I drank the full fat not even diet as I can't stand the after taste . Well For some reason I tried some coke (flat) and to be honest I was grad I didn't enjoy it as I know that would have been the slippery slope for me . there was nothing I enjoyed more on a hot day , ice cold coke so cold it bit the back of my throat ! Now thank god I drink lemon and lime water , what a life saver !

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Do NAS squashes have different sweeteners to coke then? I'm weird with anything you dilute......they give me a sore throat and i have no idea why :confused:

Do NAS squashes have different sweeteners to coke then? I'm weird with anything you dilute......they give me a sore throat and i have no idea why :confused:

Most, if not all NAS squashes have Aspatame in them so as with everything else the mantra is 'everything in moderation' girls ... I do like Ribena Plus NAS but drink mostly water wth either fresh lemon or lime added (until they decide that they are bad for us, lol) ... try the fruit flavoured teas with ice in them ... they are very refreshing & it is surprising just how quickly you will not even want the sweet stuff .. good luck :):)

As alreasy said about fizzy stretching your pouch... as per a documentary i watched the other week, they said that diet pop was just as bad as full fat pop... ok lower caleries.. but the amount of aspartane and other sweeteners is very high. this can lead to craving other sweet foods and one of the biggest downfalls for breaking a healthy diet xx

Although this isn't weight loss related another good reason to avoid coke is what it does to your teeth! I always thought I was good by drinking diet coke but about a year ago I went to a dentist and he said that he could tell I drank coke from a bottle because pretty much all the enamel has come off my front teeth! If it can do that to your teeth, what on earth could it do to our delicate new tums?! Scary thought. I have to say I couldn't give it up then but I have now and can't wait to go to a dentist again and not be moan at for a change :)

Another thing that most squashes (including nas ones) have is Sodium metabisulfite, which can trigger an asthmatic like response that could cause coughing that might cause a sore throat too. Pesky hidden nasties in so many things.

I bear in mind my mum uses coke to clean the horse brass in her cottage, two litres coke throw them all in a bucket couple of hours later bright shiny brass - now that can't be good for the insides!! xx

So NAS squashes are as bad as diet coke then? so why do i keep reading how much everyone has of them to drink but coke is the antichrist? makes no difference to me as i drink neither but does have me wondering.

Love curious of Herts
At one of our meetings they put a balloon over a bottle of coke to show how the gas effects your insides,after about 30 mins it was so full of air that it blew off and scared us all to death.so even without an opp i cant see it being very good for you lol xxxx

I bear in mind my mum uses coke to clean the horse brass in her cottage, two litres coke throw them all in a bucket couple of hours later bright shiny brass - now that can't be good for the insides!! xx

Especially if you forget to take the horse brasses out :D:D

There are so many other things out there to drink, this coke obsession is just that, an obsession ... lets all give it a lifetime ban & do ourselves a favour :D:D xx

So NAS squashes are as bad as diet coke then? so why do i keep reading how much everyone has of them to drink but coke is the antichrist? makes no difference to me as i drink neither but does have me wondering.

Cokes contain much more crap than just the artificial sweeteners that are in NAS squashes and that's why the squashes are seen as a better option. To be honest though anything sweet will trigger the cravings for sweet stuffs. That's why I baulk at people eating sugar free sweets and cakes, they may contain no sugar and little fats but it's a behavioural thing with me. My head knows they are sugar free but my mind tells me I'm eating sweets and cakes and it's OK. It would be only a short time until I'd be on the real stuff.

I've seen a brilliant WLS post opper here who had their head well sorted but even they succumbed to the bad behaviour in time and started eating sweet stuff resulting in a weight gain over time

We have to modify our behaviour and that is so hard to do and anything that can undermine that makes it harder. For two years I only drank Volvic with a hint of lemon and coffee

Back