• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can you drink diet coke

zoehooper2

im on my pre op diet 2 shakes and weight watcher soup i was wondering if i can still drink diet coke ????? thanks zoe

Were you given pre op diet sheet? On mine it said no fizzy drinks at all. From what I understand, a few studies have suggested that diet soft drinks can make you feel hungrier, and crave sweet things more. With that in mind, I personally wouldn't have wanted to possibly make my pre-op diet more difficult.

check with your provider - the one I followed did not allow any fizzy drinks even low cal ones

I think you can't. I would also wean myself off fizzy drinks, as I heard it can stretch the pouch post op.

I was allowed diet fizzy on pre op but chose not to, I thought adjusting post op would be hard enough without the fizzy withdrawal.

I used to enjoy a couple of small glasses of diet coke a week and my dietician said that small amounts like that would make no difference to the pre op diet. Glad I had them as honestly didn't realise that fizzys were a complete no, no post op and forever! Wouldn't have change my decision to have surgery at all but I do really miss the odd diet coke. It's really hard when you go out to the pub for an evening with friends too as I'm not a drinker at all, I used to have a couple of fizzy's then. Can't do fizzy, cant do juice and pub squash is diabolical and sugary...................I've ended up taking a little bottle of squash in my handbag to add a dash to my bottled water. I'm sure if people saw, they'd think I was a tight wad sneaking in vodka without paying for it or something.......we did used to do that at doos as teenagers though! lol

I didn't realise it was a no no I drink about 3 cans a day of diet coke ! Ooops I've still lost 3 1/2 stone in 5 months. Would I loose more if stopped ?

I don't think you would necessarily lose more, it's just that studies have shown that diet drinks can cause you to be more hungry. Also, I heard it can make the pouch uncomfortable and stretch it after the operation, so it's best to stop completely. Just what I heard though.

my pre-op diet says i can have as much diet pop as i like, which im suprized at, but not complaining..

My preop was the same and it got me through the milk diet. Post op I haven't touched it.

Interesting how different hospitals vary in their views about it. My clinic adviced against it, maybe as a measure to get used to not having it.

i find it fills you up.. im sick to death of eating vegtables grrrrr

I know that my eating got a lot worse after I left home and started consuming large amounts of diet coke/pepsi max. I'm pretty sure it increased my appetite and the size of my preop stomach,

All diet fizzy drinks are no good for you pre op or post op, full stop... I miss it but it's so so bad for you

Hi I post op and used to love pop. I weaned myself off it before hand and honestly don't miss it at all. I am happy with NAS juice. I think it would make me feel exceptionally bloated. Honestly you won't fancy it after the op.

That's what I thought. I am having it very rarely now, only when I go out, but even that I will stop once I had the operation. I can imagine it would make you feel very bloated, as the fizz makes you fall in general.

Back