• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diets !!! Why dont they work for everyone

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
hello
my cousin is in the grand finals for slimming world woman of the year, she has lost so far 8stone and 3 lb.
I just dont know how some people can do so well on a diet and others cant.
Jelous me - hell yes, of course I am if only I could do it, is it that i just dont have the will power or what. The most i have ever lost on a diet is around 3 and a half stone and it all went back on and alot more.
xx

I think everyone has to find a diet that works for them, I used to calorie count and while it did work it was extremely slow so I joined SW. It works for me because I'm a food addict and on it I can stuff my face as long as it's with the right food. I know I'd be miserable and hungry on WW or a very low calorie diet so they're not for me.
My cousin has lost 7 stone in a year on the Cambridge Diet so I'm jealous as hell of her but I know I couldn't stick to just soups, shakes and bars so I have to grit my teeth and say "Well done" to her lol

SW worked for me too but it is quite expensive and I had to eat different to everyone else and would lose weight but then start to eat normal and pile it all back on.
I could eat as much bacon as i wanted as much steak chicken meat etc.... with a plate ful of veg or salad.

I think that some people have a propensity to just put on weight once they have lost it and those are the people who have surgery like us. We are all successful at losing it but rubbish at keeping it off. My surgeon said it could be genetic - they (whoever they are), are still doing studies on why this happens. What I find tragic is the people that have lost 10 odd stone and then piled it all back on again - that would kill me mentally. I come across these people more and more so there has to be something in our physiology that does it. I just thank god for my bypass!

The percentage of losers that keep it off longterm is quite low,I should know.Got that tee shirt in xxl!!!!

Good question Helen-I have lost weight so many times by different methods over the years-only to be heavier the next time I diet

Having lost 8+ stones on Lipotrim over recent years (& yes put over half of it back on!) I am now looking into WLS

most people that get to goal with long term diets rarley keep the weight off long term, but well done to the ones that can keep it off i have high admaration for them, food is an addiction and this is why most regain the weight lost through normal dieting, everyone can lose weight its keeping it off forever thats hard as old habbits die hard and they creep back in as im sure this has happened to us all at some point, wls is a permanant life style change it just helps to keep us on track better in the long run, food is more of a major addiction for some than others thats why i chose to take the route that i did x

Sorry guys - dont want to burst your bubble here, but self control diets do not work !

The proof of this is in the amount of diet organisations and types of self control diet that are out there, if they did work they wouldn't exist because we would have all lost the weight and managed to maintain that weight loss ! therefore rosmary connoly, weight watchers or LL would be out of business.

Statistically 95% of those that lose weight through self control dieting will regain that weight and more long term, only 5% manage to maintain it long term !

Open your eye and take a look, the diet industry makes millions from people like us that buy into the latest fashionable diet or liquid replacement diet, they simply do not work long term !

most people that get to goal with long term diets rarley keep the weight off long term, but well done to the ones that can keep it off i have high admaration for them, food is an addiction and this is why most regain the weight lost through normal dieting, everyone can lose weight its keeping it off forever thats hard as old habbits die hard and they creep back in as im sure this has happened to us all at some point, wls is a permanant life style change it just helps to keep us on track better in the long run, food is more of a major addiction for some than others thats why i chose to take the route that i did x

Liz - i disagree slightly with this, foods not and addiction its a neccesity to sustain life, smoking, booze and shopping are addictions, and are something you can give up, but you cant give up food.
Humans have developed over millions of years to crave food, with our bodies developing the ability to store fat for when lean times come ! to resist food your fighting against chemicals and proteins in your body and brain that are screaming at you to eat !

ok thats a fair point richard yes x

I'm sure I could win one of those titles hands down, but just like the guy who won biggest loser USA it will all come back or most of it.....

In my opinon there are food groups which are addicitive and therefore although we have needed food since the dawn of time etc etc , the introduction of processed food , e numbers etc are indicative of the types of foods which people are usually addicted to.

Me personally I have no problem losing weight. An example was last year when I was motivated for a holiday between Jan- Aug I lost 25kgs. However my issue is maintaining weight.

Most diets do work its just that people can not maintain them

Back