• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

why do dieticians think they know all but they really dont.

kphorrox

i had my second weight management appointment with the dietician.
well the result was when i got out of there i cried that much i got in a panic and couldnt drive.
why do some proffesionals make you feel so worthless and that every thing is your fault.
i am seeing them for help not to be bullied.
i was told if i know my faults why do i still do them ,if i no i pick them why do i carry on. if i know my portions sizes are large cut down, if i know i eat sweet stuff dont eat it.....
do they not realise if it was as easy as that there would be no obesity issues.
yes they are text book taught but they have no idea how it feels emotionally, physically and mentally.
i need help no matter what i say to her she just doesnt understand i keep repeating that i never feel thirsty,hungry or full so i eat for the sake of eating and she looks at me blank.
the session was ended by her saying well i dont know what i can do for you or why i am here, i commented saying cause the pct say i have too.
also she told me to think about changing job?? buy a treadmill?? we havent all money to buy treadmills and i work my job to fit in with family.

sorry about rant,,,hope everyone is well

kerryxx

I have deleted my post as it seems to have upset alot of people on here and that wasn't my intention

Kate x

Last edited:
no your not harsh but i have been under the doctors for three years now and and done everything they have asked.
but by someone saying dont put something in your mouth it doesnt work like that if it was that easy none of use would be in this situation we dont choose to be over weight.
it is hard the motivation and will power but my argument is no one should make you feel worthless as i felt

Wow, that was harsh. She came here looking for support after being treated awfully by a dietician. Whether or not she is paying for her op has nothing to do with it. I am thinking of paying for my pre-op privately and I don't think it is a free ride on the NHS.

No one has a right to treat you like that Kerry. If it were me, I would complain.

At the end of the day they cant help you if you dont want to help yourself

There is no point in going to see her if you aren't prepared to make some changes, if you want your op on the NHS you have to do what they say and if that means going to see a dietician and following their advice then you must do it, sorry if I sound harsh but your getting your op free, if I was able to get mine free I would have jumped through hoops to get it, dont look a gift horse in the mouth

what a uncaring unhelpful responce.

what a uncaring unhelpful responce.

I didn't realise we couldn't say what we think on here incase others dont agree, I like to be honest and if others dont agree then thats not my fault
I wasn't meaning to be harsh im not that type of person and I agree that she shouldn't have been made feel the way way she did but unfortunately if you want something on the NHS you have to do as they say and see who they say and also things have to change. We all know how hard it is to loose weight and none of us like to hear certain things but do you really expect a dietician to say its ok eating the things we do and not do any exercise, they are there to be honest and let you know what you are doing wrong, they aren't going to wrap you up in cotton wool and tell you that you are doing everything right and to continue eating what you are eating, they wouldn't be doing their job properly if they did

Many moon's ago a dietician told me to stop eating mars bars & buy a punnet of strwaberries instead!! Had the ignorant b*tch taken any notice of what I had been discussing with her then she'd have known my downfall is savour not sweet. In fact I've never eaten a mars bar in my life!! (Honest).

Please don't give up, it took me years to go see my GP again about being overweight & after a year of 1st being referred for surgery, I'm having a gastric band fitted tomorrow.

Fair enough I'm having it on the NHS & for that I am extremely grateful but its certainly hasn't been an easy ride.

If the surgeon had told me I would lose weight if I stripped naked, set my hair alight & run around the hospital I would do it!! I've tried everything else!!!!!

Good luck & take care

i had my second weight management appointment with the dietician.
well the result was when i got out of there i cried that much i got in a panic and couldnt drive.
why do some proffesionals make you feel so worthless and that every thing is your fault.
i am seeing them for help not to be bullied.
i was told if i know my faults why do i still do them ,if i no i pick them why do i carry on. if i know my portions sizes are large cut down, if i know i eat sweet stuff dont eat it.....
do they not realise if it was as easy as that there would be no obesity issues.
yes they are text book taught but they have no idea how it feels emotionally, physically and mentally.
i need help no matter what i say to her she just doesnt understand i keep repeating that i never feel thirsty,hungry or full so i eat for the sake of eating and she looks at me blank.
the session was ended by her saying well i dont know what i can do for you or why i am here, i commented saying cause the pct say i have too.
also she told me to think about changing job?? buy a treadmill?? we havent all money to buy treadmills and i work my job to fit in with family.

sorry about rant,,,hope everyone is well

kerryxx

Hi kerry sorry to hear you were treated like this by a so called health proffessional. I know how long you have battled with your weight and you are quite right if it were that easy dietitions wouldnt be in jobs.

Personally if it were you i would be asking to speak to her superior. You are attending the clinic for help if she were worth anything she would be looking at triggers and helping you find some solutions one step at a time. be it a eating disorder, bad food choices or emotional support of food they all need addressing one by one otherwise the task becomes too big.
One of the dietitions i once saw said that initially for the first 4 weeks she didnt want me to diet she wanted me to keep a detailed diary of not only what i ate but how i felt at the time of eating how much i ate and how i felt after. she also wanted me to keep a tick sheet of everytime a food thought entered my head.
My initial reaction was yep i will do it but hows that going to help. Knowing what i know now i would say that was the best thing i ever did. it still didnt address my weight but it certainly helped me understand where i was with food.
Foe a dietition to give the responces she did and to surgest you change jobs and to say she didnt know why she was there is abolical and i would take it futher. she obviously just wants a pay pack by turning up at work but without doing anything for it.
speak soon
carole

Kerry, really sorry to hear you had such a hard time with the dietitian.To say just because you are NHS its ok to be treated like that is incredible. I paid for my surgery myself. However I don't think treating you like this is acceptable.

What we all need is encouragement and help to lose weight. Stating the obvious is not helpful. We all know what to do to lose the weight, its actually doing it that's hard.

Please use this forum for support. All of us have needed advice and SUPPORT at some time or other.

Hope you feel better about it all soon.

Best of luck with your journey

I agree with Carole about the food diary. I did one once and it was soooo revealing! It needent be onerous if you make yourself a little chart with columns and list time, what you are eating, how you feel e.g. happy, angry etc., and, importantly, where you are e.g. standing in the kitchen, sitting in the dining room, on the sofa watching television. You might see a pattern emerge. I know it sounds like a bit of a faff but you might get something out of it and at least the dietician will see that you've put some thought into it. That'll show her! Good luck Kerry.:hug99:xx

Lookingforward
To say just because you are NHS its ok to be treated like that is incredible. I paid for my surgery myself. However I don't think treating you like this is acceptable.[/QUOTE said:
I take it you were talking about me in your post, I didn't say it was ok for her to be treated like this

I work day in, day out with addicts - serious drug and alcohol addictions t say the very least.NEVER is an addict I work with told to just stop injecting heroin,crack or to just stop drinking 8 litres of white cider a day, even though the individuals know what they are doing is killing them slowly. They are offered support, advice and help.
I see food as akin to such addictions and I have come across some s****y dieticians in my time. I am lucky and am under a really good one at the moment. I think we all, regardless of NHS or private need support and there is no such thing as a hierarchy between NHS or private and I don't think yummy mummy should be criticised for her opinions. However, if it were as easy as just doing what the dieticians told us to do, I think there would be far fewer people on this forum. Food is, (again my opinion) an addiction which is far less understood than drugs and alcohol and in soime cases, sadly the Nhs still has a way to go in sourcing empathic employees capable of giving the support, advice and help that addicts and people with food issues need and deserve.

Hi Kerry, Sorry to hear about your treatment by the dietician. I too had a bad experience with the bariatric nurse I saw but thanks to the support here and from my family and GP I can see past it.

Don't let her make you judge dieticians by her example. I have been seeing a very understanding dietician who has given me a lot of support, it was her that supported my wls by contacting my GP etc. I think sometimes professionals get frightened when they look at obese people and panic that they could become like us. We didn't just get obese by over eating for the sake of it. For many of us food becomes a way of comforting and shielding ourselves from the traumas that life throws at us. As a dietician she should know this, and instead of demoralising you, she should be a facilitator and give you the correct information and tools to help you overcome the need to comfort eat etc. As you say, if it was a matter of just following her advice the slimming industry and dieticians would be out of a job.

Rebirth

Kerry sorry you were treated like that it doesn't matter that they are dieticians yes they are there to do a job but they are also there to treat people with respect and dignity as Bungle says food is an addiction and i too work with people who have substance addictions and have lost their kids as a result but they need help to get them back and they are still their parents so i still treat them with respect and put my personal feelings aside. people who have never had a weight problem see the solution as oh so simple! Don't let them get you down Kerry and yes i would def challenge their approach x

I'm with Carole, complain formally about the dietician (and let them know you will be expecting a response within pct complaint time guidelines) to a superior and ask to see a different person next time! Then do the food diary, a lot of us, myself included, eat when were emotionally hungry and not physically hungry. We have bad habits, as the dietician said to you, but slating us is not going to help us stop them. Instead encouragement and talking about why we ate whatever it was will help us.

Lets face it, most of us fat people know more about healthy food/diets than a lot of other people. We've done the diets and the fitness regimes....

I hope you get an apology and the help you deserve.

And if at all possible lets not fight amongst ourselves, we have enough antagonism from the skinny world without imploding on ourselves....

I too had a bad experience with a dietician. He did not take my previous weight loss ( 5 stone ) and long journey to get where I was into account. he ridiculed my coping strategies of cooking meals for my family that I didn't like so I wouldn't eat them. He gave me no help or support just sent me away to lose another 2 stone.
I was distraught but realised I should fight for this, even tho he made me feel worthless. I went to see my GP and complained who luckily supported me and wrote to the Consultant. This resulted in replies of the ilk "any weight loss pre-op is good". After a decision against my commitment to wls an appointment with the Consultant who hadnt read my notes until I pointed them out then put me straight on the waiting list!
It does pay to complain /stand up for what you want even tho I wasn't sure about rocking the boat.
I since discovered the dietician had a motorbike accident after the appointment and at the subsequent Psych appt the Psychiatrist said his mind may well have not been on the job. Great hey!:rolleyes:

I work day in, day out with addicts - serious drug and alcohol addictions t say the very least.NEVER is an addict I work with told to just stop injecting heroin,crack or to just stop drinking 8 litres of white cider a day, even though the individuals know what they are doing is killing them slowly. They are offered support, advice and help.
I see food as akin to such addictions and I have come across some s****y dieticians in my time. I am lucky and am under a really good one at the moment. I think we all, regardless of NHS or private need support and there is no such thing as a hierarchy between NHS or private and I don't think yummy mummy should be criticised for her opinions. However, if it were as easy as just doing what the dieticians told us to do, I think there would be far fewer people on this forum. Food is, (again my opinion) an addiction which is far less understood than drugs and alcohol and in soime cases, sadly the Nhs still has a way to go in sourcing empathic employees capable of giving the support, advice and help that addicts and people with food issues need and deserve.

Hi :)

As someone else who also works every day with people who have drug & alcohol addiction issues I totally agree with what you are saying about food being akin to this!
Yes, we can live without certain drugs or alcohol but cannot live without food for our bodies but the association and craving can be just as powerful! :rolleyes:

Kind Regards,

Isis :)

that was terrible she wants reporting as she isnt doingher job properly.and its right food is in adiction and its a far greater one than drugs or alchohol.wen they try to get off them they know if they have one drink or take on lot of drugs they will probably be hooked again and thats the difference you dont need to take these things but you do need to eat so obviously its so much harder to lose weight. sorry for faffing on .............kath x

Back