• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Different surgery than planned anyone?

Roccosmummy

Has anyone woken up to find they've had a different surgery than planned?

I understand there are complications from time to time. I was wondering what these different complications have been that affected surgery outcome?

Has anyone been disappointed or found it was the best thing?

I'm asking as I'm terrified I will wake up without my band to bypass conversion. I fully intend to follow the milk diet to the word so to ensure the liver is as small as possible. I hope I'm a good candidate as my BMI is at the lower end being 38 but of course we don't know if the 10 year old band has caused any issues other than being in the wrong position..... Again!
Can someone put my mind at ease or at least prepare me ;-)

I signed a consent form to say I agreed to a sleeve being done if for any reason the bypass wasn't possible (I was ok and had the bypass)

I was advised there was a slight possibility there would be internal scar tissue from a previous op and is have to have a sleeve. Only a very slight possibility but I also had to sign something to agree.

I was advised depending what he found he would a comets as possible bypass, position and damage by the band would dictate my final pouch size. Only surprise he found was massive hernia lots if damage but he sorted it all out for me and I'm good now. My band was in 12 years,

i have been told bypass but if for any reason they cant do that they will sleeve i have told them though under no circumstances do i want banding

I was told bypass but dependant what they find it might be a sleeve . I did tell him that if he finds any think nasty inside he has my permission to do what necessary their and then . That I didn't want to be woken up and told Kimberly we found a big mass but did not take it our because you hadn't signed the consent , So I trusted him to do what was right for me . And said if he found any think take it out . Saying that he found a hiatus hernia which he repaired .

I woke up with a sleeve when I had been booked for a bypass. Nothing was mentioned to me beforehand that it could be a possibility. The reason was I had a bowel malformation (my bowel is completely reversed) and I had a lot of adhesions (which they removed), and they were reluctant to cut into my bowel. I was happy that they had done what they felt was best in the circumstances and not woken me up having done nothing at all. Seven months on I am actually pleased I had the sleeve as I have lost 6 stone, but I have no trouble eating any food, I rarely dump and I have no vitamin deficiencies. I know the weight loss is slower, but as this is for life I am very pleased with the result. I can eat out with no problem, I either order a child,s portion or leave what I can't eat. So for me, it has actually been a blessing. And my irritable bowel has been sorted as the surgeon said it was almost certainly caused by the adhesions which would never have been discovered if I hadn't been having this surgery.:)

i just feel that banding is not right for me all my weight is middle weight round my stomach as the surgeon said when i saw him so i feel banding would be wrong and i wouldnt benefit from it

ive signed permission for them to do a sleeve if bypass proves to be impossible to do at the time.

they wont do a band on me, surgeons reg told me he doesnt bother with bands anymore and that at my size it wouldnt be an option anyway

I went 2 years on a waiting list expecting a sleeve, to be told the night before when I met the surgeon I would be having a bypass due to stomach acid.
Thrilled to bits with the results x

Back