• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Disposible stiches

rybens

yorkie puddin!
I had my lap bypass nearly four weeks ago and was told id had disposible stiches, all the wounds have healed up great nice and flat and fading . I had a little bump at the side of one which with reading up on things sounded normal and just tissue rebuilding, this got smaller but ended up looking like a tiny boil whilst showering i realised this bump had now gone but a prickley thing in its place , closer inspection i saw a nylon looking stitch so i thought must been a bit under the spot from the op (this bit not fot faint hearted lol)

When i started to pull at it , it was about half inch long then it tugged like it was still attached! omg i was nearly sick so i stopped then it disapeard back inside me with just about 1/2 cm sticking out. so now i dont know what to do as id have thought they would have dissolved by now as all others have, so do i trim it down a bit so its not catching as i think as the swelling going down and the weight coming off thats why its now come to the surface , i was going to start back on bio oil back on my tummy this week but that will have to be put off till this is sorted x:rolleyes:

Hi
Didnt want to read and run as I have no idea, I suggest phoning either nhs direct, calling into your gp or phoning your surgeons secretary. I woudlnt just cut if off just incase it should have gone by now and if you cut it and cant see it anymore its still inside isnt it.
If there is a boil or swelling it could be that the whole stitch needs to be removed (I think) see what others have said but imo I woudl get it checked out xxxx

by the way your weight loss is fab x

Hiya Hannah, if in doubt phone your gp or wls team. If it were me, I wouldn't be too worried, as long as it isn't sore/red/imflamed/oozing it should be ok. I think I remember reading that internal stitches take longer to dissolve than external ones so it could just be a bit near the skin has popped out to say hi. Like you say though if you're worried get the nurse to take a look to put your mind at rest.

Glad I had just finished my brekky before I read this lol!! :D

Cuppa xx

mmmm ....good advice from cuppa methinks, though can imagine how horrified you must have been when the stitch seemed still attached ......

It should be fine, just leave it alone, i had a stitch sticking out which i showed my consultant post 2 weeks and he wasn't worried, they haven't cut the stitch short enough and it will disolve in time and fall out.
If you notice an infection or it becomes inflamed, or the wound opens then contact your team or GP as you may need antibiotics.

Hannah i bet you was always been told not to pick your scabs as a kid weren't you? I can spot a picker a mile away lol....

Hope your gp puts your mind at rest xx

I think it is best to get the nurse to have a look tomorrow. If there is any infection or you have a temperature though you should ring the out of hours surgery to make sure. Take care.

lol julie you would be great in the FBI lol

Lol Hannah your right.... Apparently my partners ex is having problems with her daughter 'forgetting' to brush her teeth... She told her mom quote '' Abi (my daughter) keeps saying she's brushed her teeth to Julie and Julie smells her breath and sends her back to the bathroom'' lol so yeah i am ready for the FBI... Bring on the tooth abusers and soap avoiders of the world lol xx

Back