• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dizzy?

wobbles

Hi all, i'm just wondering if anyone else experiences much dizziness post op?

I've been finding that i'm getting increasingly dizzy, lightheaded etc. You know that 'head spin' feeling you get when you stand up too fast? I get that all the time, even when sitting down, and i'm having terrible headaches.

Any ideas anyone?

I have only felt like that once and it was last weekend when I woke up the room was spinning as if I had been drinking to much the night before. Dont no if its got anything to do with not eating properly. Hope it settles down for you

Hi Erin,

I suffer from postoral hypotension. When you stand up your blood pressure drops, which is completely natural, however mine tends to plummet lol, so I have to stand up slowly. I've noticed that over the last few months, this has got a lot worse. I had got used to it and rarely stood up fast enough to trigger it, but now even at slow speed it's affecting me quite a lot, to the point where I've blacked out a few times.

However, if you're getting that sensation at rest too, then it's worth seeing your GP over. You're not on blood pressure meds are you?

Shel x

You read my mind Shel. I am on bp meds & have felt dizzy lately, I am thinking I may need to lower my dose or stop it all together. I have a doc appointment next week & I will ask her to check me. I also get lightheaded & dizzy when my blood sugar drops too low so if you have hypoglycemia or diabetes you should definately discuss it with you doc as your meds may be the culprit.

In both cases, it could be a good sign that maybe you don't need the meds anymore. If neither case applies to you, I would speak to a doctor about it since it doesn't sound like something that should happen all the time. Let me know what you find out.

Nic:)

Hey lovely girls. Yeah it is very much like that blood pressure drop feeling, i almost fell over today, and have nearly blacked out a couple of times. I think i will go see the doc.
Admittedly, i've not been eating for the last few days, only because we're in a crisis at the moment and eating is the last thing on our minds, but i do eat when i remember. I know, i'm naughty and i'm going to fix it.

The GP has never been able to take my bp because they don't have arm cuffs big enough. My arms are disproportionately huge and normally docs have to use a thigh cuff to check my bp, and most places don't have these. As a result, my BP has not been accurately checked since i was in hospital having my son, just over 17 months ago.

Anyway, i'll try and get to the gp and let you know the outcome.

Thank you :)

This is from the BBC health page...

What are the symptoms?

Feeling dizzy is a universal human experience, but we all tend to mean slightly different things when describing it.
Some people may be describing a sense of light-headedness, while others simply mean they feel wobbly on their feet. They may have a feeling that the room is whirling around, although this is more properly called vertigo, especially if accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
What causes it?

Viral infections are among the most common causes of dizziness, especially those that affect the air passages in the head or the ear and result in a disruption of the inner ear. In labyrinthus, for example, the fluid-filled canals in the inner ear that play a vital part in balance become inflamed.
If your normal blood pressure tends to be low, you're more likely to experience dizzy spells.
Many attacks of dizziness are caused by momentary, harmless drops in blood pressure, leading to a transient reduction in the blood supply to the brain. This typically happens when getting up suddenly from a sitting or lying position and is known as postural or orthostatic hypotension.
This may be aggravated by certain medications, especially those used to control high blood pressure.
In older people with arthritis of the spine in the neck, tilting the head back or twisting it from side to side can temporarily cut off the blood supply to part of the brain and induce dizziness. This is called vertebrobasilar insufficiency.
Low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) is another possible cause, and is easily remedied by eating some sugary food.
Other rarer causes of dizziness include:
  • Drug treatments
  • Migraine
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Stress
  • Tiredness
  • Anaemia
  • Acute intoxication
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning
In most cases, dizziness is a minor annoyance, but there are a few warning signs that there may be a more serious underlying problem.
The most important of these is loss of consciousness. If someone complains of feeling dizzy on several occasions and then passes out, they should be seen by a doctor. It may be a simple faint that can be easily explained. But if this happens more than once, they should visit their doctor to get it checked out.
Other possible danger signs include:
  • New and intense headaches
  • Strange sensations or memory changes
  • Odd behaviour
  • Family history of diabetes or epilepsy

I am sure it is nothing serious, the fact you have not eaten enough recently would be enough to cause it...but get it checked, best to be safe...

And BTW, you are doing very well :)

The venue is booked, the catering sorted but ni final numbers yet, next on the list is invitations.

We are getting married in a medieval barn, so the overall theme of the wedding will be that. We plan to have a spit roast and maybe fire jugglers/breathers for the finale.

My dress will be full on medieval in purple and gold...

Oooh we have booked honeymoon to Lake Bled in Slovenia.

So things are moving forward...:)

The venue is booked, the catering sorted but ni final numbers yet, next on the list is invitations.

We are getting married in a medieval barn, so the overall theme of the wedding will be that. We plan to have a spit roast and maybe fire jugglers/breathers for the finale.

wow congrats Missy - didn't realise there was a wedding in the offing! Your plans sound FAB!!

Hi all, i'm just wondering if anyone else experiences much dizziness post op?

I've been finding that i'm getting increasingly dizzy, lightheaded etc. You know that 'head spin' feeling you get when you stand up too fast? I get that all the time, even when sitting down, and i'm having terrible headaches.

Any ideas anyone?

Yep, been happening to me too for the past couple of weeks. Having read the replies, I have taken them all on board ...
  1. I haven't been eating all that well/properly & of course this will affect it
  2. Had a vius this week, not the flu but knocked me out - went as quick as it came!
  3. 3. Hospital said I am low on iron so this will have an effect too!
Got doc Monday so will have a word. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm a bit concerned .. I haven't got my invite yet!! :cry:

Back