• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do I need to stop smoking

Tracietxx

Help needed .I've been refered to walsall manor for wls very early stage ..got first appointment on 19/04/2017..I'm a bit worried as I'm a smoker ..do I need to give up b4 they will even consider surgery. .I have got a appointment also with the no smoking clinic I've smoked for as far bk as I remember and have tried and failed many times to give up ..Please can someone shed any light in this please xx

Morning tracie
I think any doctor will tell you that it is best to quit smoking at any time .. But I believe smoking and healing do not go together..
Although saying that , my niece has her op in 3 weeks time and her surgeon told her not to quit so close to her op and it will only serve to aggravate her lungs , cause mucus and could aid in chest infections afterwards ... I was surprised by that but it does make sense really ..
Personally I think it would be so hard to give up smoking and also be on the pre op diet , but like I said I'm sure the surgeon and the team are going to insist you quit .. Esp NHS ...
let us know how your getting on and keep a diary which helps a lot ..
xxxx

Good Morning and thankyou so much for reply..I'm so scared they will refuse funding because of the smoking .I no myself I need to stop them I've just been diagnosed with beginning stages of COPD so health wise it's best .loose weight stop the cigs. Live longer easy to say right. but Ive smoked over 30 years so i no its not gonna be easy again thank you for the quick reply I realy apreciate it ..ill

Smoking does impact your bodies ability to heal and if you are right at the start of the process you have the option to quit now and not only use it as a way of showing your commitment to the process but also help your body deal with surgery better. I know how hard it was, I was a very heavy smoker for a very long time but you can do it if that's what you want :)

Lol ..Thanks for being so blunt ..my type of person ..I no its killing me I want to stop I prob do stink like cigarette lol I Deffo don't have bad breath though lol ..but yes your right x

No its ok ..I like people who r blunt ..I think it's fab lol ..no offence taken at all ..I actually giggled when I saw what you had wrote xxx

I do actually describe myself an addict .. a food/carb holic.. and like any addict we have to fight our demons each and every day ..
today I fought mine big time , a proper punch up in my head between my healthy self and my carb head .. In a little cafe at Hengistbury head I cam face to face with a huge piece of home made rocky road . It must have been probably 2inches thick by 4 inch square , dusted with icing sugar .. As I looked at it , it grew loving arms and beckoned me to buy it .. As my time in the queue grew short I was asked what I would like .
. " a large latte please and ... and .. ( pause ) .. no that's all thanks " PHEW !
Carb head crawled back into the dark recess and stays crouching there waiting for its chance to test me again another day ...

I've actually been to my gp ..who has put me on medication to stop ..I'm now 3 days in and just had 1 a day hoping to give that up aswell ..Thanks for reply xx

I've haven't had a cigarette for 4 years soon to be 5 years.
I started on the electronic cigarettes on the highest nicotine which was 24mg. I'm now on zero nicotine and I've never looked back. I can stand next to someone while they smoke and I dont even think about having one. It's the best thing I ever did.....however if you can do it without needing an aid that's even better. The best of luck to you xxx

I've haven't had a cigarette for 4 years soon to be 5 years.
I started on the electronic cigarettes on the highest nicotine which was 24mg. I'm now on zero nicotine and I've never looked back. I can stand next to someone while they smoke and I dont even think about having one. It's the best thing I ever did.....however if you can do it without needing an aid that's even better. The best of luck to you xxx
Thank you ..my gp has given me some tablets .I have been having 1 cigarette in the morning and that's it ..I'm hoping I can stop all together .I was on around 15/20 a day so to cut straight to 1 I'm happy with that nd maybe after a week or so I can stop thank you for reply x

Hi Tracie. I'm from Birmingham so i don't know if it will be different where you are but when i went to the information seminar there were smokers there that had been invited too and apparently if you've been invited to the seminar you've already been approved for surgery. So as far as i know smokers will still get the op. The lady at the seminar did say something about having to take certain tablets and injections for longer though to prevent ulcers which i think you're more prone to if you're a smoker.

It's really great you have been to the doctors and are on the road to quitting. I think everyone on here can understand addiction to some extent because we all do have those problems with food. A life times habit is extremely hard to change. No easy feat at all!! I've never smoked so can't understand myself how hard it must be to quit after so long but you're definitely making a great start so be proud of yourself for taking such a big step and keep it up! one day, one hour, sometimes even one minute at a time is all we can do but we CAN do it!!

My sisters ex boyfriend said the hardest thing about quitting smoking is the habit of doing something with his hands.. maybe it would make is easy for you if you could find something to do to keep those busy? :) good luck!!

Hi Tracie. I'm from Birmingham so i don't know if it will be different where you are but when i went to the information seminar there were smokers there that had been invited too and apparently if you've been invited to the seminar you've already been approved for surgery. So as far as i know smokers will still get the op. The lady at the seminar did say something about having to take certain tablets and injections for longer though to prevent ulcers which i think you're more prone to if you're a smoker.

It's really great you have been to the doctors and are on the road to quitting. I think everyone on here can understand addiction to some extent because we all do have those problems with food. A life times habit is extremely hard to change. No easy feat at all!! I've never smoked so can't understand myself how hard it must be to quit after so long but you're definitely making a great start so be proud of yourself for taking such a big step and keep it up! one day, one hour, sometimes even one minute at a time is all we can do but we CAN do it!!

My sisters ex boyfriend said the hardest thing about quitting smoking is the habit of doing something with his hands.. maybe it would make is easy for you if you could find something to do to keep those busy? :) good luck!!
Your right it is the hands .I just don't no wat to do with them ..I also live birmingham but been refered to walsall manor. .so not sure if it's the same there ..I'm realy wanna quit ill just try my best that's all I can do xx thanks for the reply xxx

I'm at heartlands so i'm not sure. I doubt it differs much when we're so close!
Do you do anything with crafts? I spent lots of time inside when i was a kid. I was in the hospital a lot so i learned to cross stitch to keep me from being bored. That could help.. or maybe colouring or knitting? Adult colouring books are quite popular these days. I think you can get them from a lot of places. I know they sell them at B&M

I'm at heartlands so i'm not sure. I doubt it differs much when we're so close!
Do you do anything with crafts? I spent lots of time inside when i was a kid. I was in the hospital a lot so i learned to cross stitch to keep me from being bored. That could help.. or maybe colouring or knitting? Adult colouring books are quite popular these days. I think you can get them from a lot of places. I know they sell them at B&M
Ohh thanks for that great ideas..I love colouring so will definitely invest in 1 thank you xx

giving up smoking was a must for Salford royal, they wouldn't consider doing a bypass

Back