• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trying to stop smoking

Alex1977

Hi all
Just wanted to share some info if you are trying to give up smoking for the big op day or in general. I was a smoker for 15 years (im only 33:D now) and probably smoked in excess of 30 a day. I had read about the surgeons being very against smokers having this op and that made me make a decision i never thought i would. I had been told by a friend to try Champix anti smoking tablets off the doctor. They are non nicotine so they are not like patches or chewing gum but they block the craving signals to the brain and eventually you no longer crave a cigarette! I thought yeah right that wont work for me. So i asked the doctor to try them and they have truly worked and ive now stopped for nearly 12 weeks and actually cannot stand the smell of cigarettes now!! You have to take them twice a day morning and tea time with food but if this is going to be a problem with your surgeon please give them a go if i could stop im sure it would help others too xxx (i'll get of my box now lol):553:

Hi Alex..
well done....I have quit too but I am on the patches still..I got them free through my G.P
Its not easy but I am doing ok...
I was offered champix,but as it is a anti depressant drug, I refused it..
Its a personal choice,mainly because I suffer badly with side affects to everything lol...

well done hun xxx

Im a non smoker but just wanted to say congratulations on your achievements. It must be even harder to consentrate on your weight and giving up smoking as well. Well Done xxx

Alex and Lisa well done. I was told i had to give up smoking for my surgery 14 months ago, like you Alex i was smoking over 30 a day too, i used the electronic cigarette and have never gone back to them. Congratulations to both of you its not easy to do and you should be very pleased with yourselves xx

Congrats, as a fellow ex-smoker I know how hard it is. I used Champix too and I have never looked back since. I smoked 80 a day and no one thought I could do it.....3yrs 4months later ....;) xx

thanks! and well done to Lisa and all who have quit its worth it in the end. i was offered patches but am allergic to sticking plaster and my whole arm decided to swell up on patches. You feel better and will heal better xxxx

my user name is a bit of a misnomer now as after having given up a 60 a day habit for two years pre op - and put on a stack of weight - I actually took up smoking again post op... couldn't eat, couldn't drink, had to have 'something'. i see it as a blip though and shall go back to the Zyban i used (along with the allen carr book) as soon as the eating and drinking thing gets under control!

thanks! and well done to Lisa and all who have quit its worth it in the end. i was offered patches but am allergic to sticking plaster and my whole arm decided to swell up on patches. You feel better and will heal better xxxx
lol I know that feeling..I am allergic to the sticky stuff in plasters to!!!:eek:
My upper half of my body is one big rash..:jelous:lol I am running out of room now as to where to put them...
I am persevering though,I really don't want to take meds ....I go onto a smaller does in a week or so...so it wont be for much longer.:D
xxxx

Back