• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do sleevers dump?

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
Hiya :)

I know the stomach is not bypassed with the sleeve, but im sure i've heard some people say they dump, was i hearing things? lol

From what I've read there is no medical reason for sleevers to dump but eating too quickly or eating too much carbs or sugar can cause similar symptoms to dumping x

From what I've read there is no medical reason for sleevers to dump

There is a medical reason. Despite the fact that the pylorus valve at the base of the stomach is retained with a sleeve (which no longer exists in RNY patients who have a pouch which empties straight into the lower intestine) ..... the sleeve is VERY tiny (between 10 mm - 12 mm wide), the width of a large pen ..... and thus food is transported to the lower intestine more quickly than it would have been in a normal sized stomach.

This is particularly true if too high a volume of carbs is pushed thru the narrow, tiny sleeve.

I tried to google a scientific answer, but could not find many -- but loads and loads of anecdotal evidence online of sleevers who do dump:

Bariatric Revisionary: Dumping: A Reality of the Gastric Sleeve

Common Side Effects of Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Dumping syndrome is a very common issue with gastric sleeve, one of the common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying, is caused when patients eat food too fast, causing the food to pass through the stomach and into the intestine undigested. It’s important to note, that even though dumping syndrome is extremely common, it is completely avoidable. Eating slowly, chewing your food, and following your bariatric surgeon’s dietary recommendations will help to avoid this issue.

and an anecdotal personal response from a sleevers only group:

I get a mild form of dumping which proves it's not restricted to gastric bypass patients. If I eat too much junk food or if I'm on the go the whole day & snacking. Not really sitting down eating a healthy meal.

I find when I prepare my meals at home and eat what I should I'm fine.

wow thanks, some great reading there :) xxx

I had a sleeve and I have had what I call a dumping episode on a meatball, I was only 3 weeks out and think the meatball meat was too fatty. I felt sick and sweaty had shakes and was on the toilet for a while lol. I was feeling very ruff. So I do believe we do dump, or have bad reactions to certain food x

Thanks Suzie :) I think i'll end up with a sleeve, and i want to dump lol xxx

I think the awful feeling I had with the nuts on Saturday was a kind of dumping. And the pain I get when I eat too fast or don't chew well enough. So yes I'd say we dump.

Back