• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do Diabetics Dump?

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
I'm sure I read on here that diabetics dont experience dumping?

Do you know if this is true? also my diabetes has now gone since my op, so do you think I will dump cos Im not diabetic anymore. Or it is a case of becasue Ive been diabetic I may not dump?

Sounds a bit waffly that, hope you know what i mean?

So thrilled that my blood sugars ahave been below 7 since the op. Woo Hoo!

I am diabetic, Hba1c was 5.4 a month after surgery.You are always classed as diabetic as it's a life long condition. You will still need an annual review and regular bloods and eye tests. Also the new advice is even if your bg is low you should still take your meds after surgery for life, just half the dose you were on pre op. I am now back on one 500mg of metformin a day.
In answer to your question, I don't think I dump, however I have only tried one biscuit.

I'm diabetic and I don't dump. I wish I did cos it would keep me away from the naughty foods. Since my op I've not needed any diabetic meds - I was on 4 metformin and victoza inject each day. As Marie says - once a diabetic always a diabetic.

Well i didn't know we still had to take meds i gave all mine back to pharmacy :( i was wondering if we still had to have yearly checks etc i will have to get back onto doctors to make appt as i have ignored eye test one as well :(

Ive been taken off my insulin and been told as long as my blood sugar is below 9 I dont need to take it and its been below 7 since op.
Tried to make an appointment with my diabetic nurse but she is fully booked for 3 weeks, so she is ringing me Tuesday. She may put me back on Metformin, I cant go back on the insulin as I would be having Hypos all over the place.

Aw didnt realise once a diabetic always a diabetic. But hey never mind, at lease our control is improving rapidly eh?

i'm quite sad about that really :( i was enjoying not having to take tabs and give myself jab every day :)

I was on insulin & Piaglitazone pre op but nothing now as my bloods are good :) I still went to my diabetic review & my eye test, too as I am aware that my diabetes is only in remission & if I abuse myself with the same sugary rubbish that made me diabetic in the first place, then I will be back to square one :( The op is not a cure, just a delaying process, but for now I am happy :):) xxx

i meant i don't want to give jab and take meds :) but yes am strange woman :)

My mistake, I read that wrong, thought you meant you missed the jabs and tablets. lol

I was off all meds for a month then the dietitian got in touch with my doctor about putting me back on a low dose of metformin as thats what the new advice is. Apparently it's to help your body long term.

i will definitely mention it next time i speak to them :) maybe because i had DS which has highest rate of getting rid of diabetes it's diffferent, i had to take my blood level every morning for 10 days after i got home and send them the results . When i had my 6 weeks check they didn't say anything either xx

im type 2 diabetic and was taking two metformin a day, then i was told to take one a day two weeks before my op as my glucos was fine, then after op i havnt had any tabs at all x

I am diabetic, Hba1c was 5.4 a month after surgery.You are always classed as diabetic as it's a life long condition. You will still need an annual review and regular bloods and eye tests. Also the new advice is even if your bg is low you should still take your meds after surgery for life, just half the dose you were on pre op. I am now back on one 500mg of metformin a day.
In answer to your question, I don't think I dump, however I have only tried one biscuit.

Once a diabetic always a diabetic, but without the meds... I was interested to read that their is new advice regarding taking the meds.....

I know being diabetic we get free prescriptions however my gp said this stops when you get to a year with no medication so if we do need to continue with meds then that's good surely?

I know quite a few diabetics, none of whom dump x

i hope i dont dump... but my hospital has made me so scared of even eating anything let alone trying anything new so i have no idea

I was on ever increasing doses of insulin before my op and now take nothing and yep I dont dump either!!! :(

If you were diabetic before your op, you are still diabetic now but classed as "diet and exercise controlled" :D (unless you still take lower dose meds that is lol)

Ive read that taking Metformin has all sorts of benefits so continuing to use it wouldnt be a disaster. The only thing I want to dump is this Diabetes:p

Ive been taken off my insulin and been told as long as my blood sugar is below 9 I dont need to take it and its been below 7 since op.
9 sounds quite high. My last 3 Hba1c were 6.5, 6.5 and 7.5, and I still have early retinopathy (hence my decision for WLS as a "cure" ) Im on metformin.

I hope Im not breaking any rules in putting up a link but there is more information here about the effects of Bariatric surgery on Diabetes

Great help for decision maing too if youre looking
(last third is the bit to read)
Long-term effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrec... [Surg Endosc. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

as said already im not on my metformin anymore..but saying that i have a fasting blood test in 4 weeks time for my diabietis so i will see then if i have to take it again x

Back