• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do they put a drain in for a sleeve

bex986

Have been reading anything and everything on the sleeve as my surgery is on the 2/4/14
Have read that some people have had a drain after a sleeve is this a normal thing, havent been told about it, just so I can prepare if you know what I mean ;-)

Hi bex, I had a drain in after my sleeve, they took it out day 2 post op. Nothing to worry about, it was in one of the portholes and didn't hurt at all coming out x

Ok thanks just so I can sort of prepare incase I wake up and have a drain in, am a bit squemish! i faint at blood tests lol

I had a drain after my sleeve. They took it out Day 3 post op for me (there wasn't anyone around to do it before then!). I will agree it didn't hurt... but I will also say it was the WEIRDEST feeling I have ever experienced. Again, did not hurt... the closest thing I can think of is it was similar (for me) to when you're going fast in a car over a bump and you get that butterfly feeling in your lower belly? It was sort of like that... only different. :p lol Not a horrible feeling... just weird. Sounds odd, but it's what I would imagine peeing internally would feel like. lol Same area of muscles moving, but pulling in instead of pushing out. Like I've said... weird. But only lasts about 2 seconds.

It depends on your surgeon rather than surgery type. Some use them, some don't. Ask before you go down. I didn't like mine much, but it certainly did it's job well. I healed very well with no infections.

I had a drain as well for my sleeve, right hand side of my tummy, about half way down. Doesn't hurt at all and they'll usually take it out 2-3 days post op. They use it to make sure there's no pus or anything in the abdominal cavity. If you don't like the look of it, they'll have things they can hide it with so just ask for it. I'd say the main annoyance was having to carry it round with me for 3 days! xx

I had a sleeve and didn't have a drain,I went into HDU due to other conditions but was home 24 hours after surgery.

Nor did I have a drain!

Looks like it depends on person to person or the surgeon, will ask when I get there next wednesday,
Thanks for your replies x

He told me sometimes they need to depending on how the op goes. I was hoping I wpjldnt have one but to my shock I woke up with one- it was not nice and really bothered me. Begged them to take it out and they did so one day post op! Good luck!

Ok thanks x

I had the sleeve and had a drain, was removed after day 2, it's really not as bad as you think, although I was pleased that I didn't know about it before hand. Ask your team if they do this then you will be prepared.

Hi quackers

I'm
Good thank you, apart from feeling very tired constantly. Am meant to be having my check up this morning but hospital just rang and cancelled !
Oh well not to worry, rearranged for tomorriw night, how are you ? X

I'm pleased your doing well . At least you've got check up tomoz but you do get psyched up for it . I'm ok thank you. Doing a lot better with my eating now more sociable . X

I had a productive day in the end, went from
Being teary and pathetic to wrapping two ladies and signing one up to work in my team! Had to lie down fir 2 hours then tho !!! ? never been so Blumin tired xx

Back