• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

do ur friends support ur choice of wls?

claudia24

hoping to be a mummy soon
well i have told my friend that i have had a letter from the hospital about havin a gastric band fitted and i have sent them my reason of wanting it, all she could say was, why am i doing it, she really wishes i wouldnt as it a very dangerous opp. my other friend says she hopes i get it as it will help me a lot. i have only told 2 friends. i told her i have done loads of research and about this site, i understand her concerns as i had the same until i looked it up, just wished she would support me a lil more, as i support her through anythin, she has just found out she is pregnant and as much as i wish it was me havin a baby, (losin weight is my first prioty) i was so happy for her.

#sorry just a lil rant xxxx

I'm sure your friend will come round to the idea once the ball gets rolling. Try and involve her so she knows exactly whats going to happen. Sometimes its the fear of the unknown that causes them to be like this. If she really is a true friend then she will stand by you and help you through this. Good luckxx

my friends/family still don't fully understand why i'm doing the WLS path, when quite obviously i can lose weight naturally if i turn my mind to it....the problem is maintainance of that weightloss, which for whatever reason, i can't do.....did get a compliment off of one of my OH's friends who i haven't seen in a fair while, on the amount i've lost, but my thoughts are this, i'm doing this for my reasons, no-one elses, and if they don't or won't understand, then tough, they'll see the new me over the next 12-18 months, bet they won't moan then, when it's all been worth it ;)

Just to echo Gaynor's words. I, too, am sure that your friend will come round. There is so much negative press around weight loss surgery and this is the information that your friend is thinking about. Once she investigates it a little more, I am sure she will be right behind you. Your surgeon will assess any risk factors very carefully and there are things that you can do to prepare your body for surgery.

I hope you don't have to wait too long! I had my bypass under 6 weeks ago and feel really great already!

Lx

I have only told my very best friend and one of my sisters and of course my hubby - my sis is used to me doing 'crazy' things (I decided, booked it and had it within 10 days), hubby just wants me to be happy and thinks bodies are just bags to put the bits in and my friend is thrilled as the extra weight was causing my arthritis to play up merry hell and other bots and bobs and thus she wishes my pain free. I don't see it as anyone elses business. Oh - and TPT Jnr of course - I tell her everything! She is totally supportive.

I'm sure your friend will come round soon. It can be difficult for people to understand why we do this particularly if they don't have weight issues. I am very lucky as my OH,friends and family are very supportive and pleased for me.

Also GP, cardiologist and dermatologist all think its a great idea and are very supportive too.

Last edited:
Do what's right for you, I'm sure once your friend see's how happy you are being slim she will understand your reason, take care & good luck

Hi
I havnt told any friends hence I have to be careful on facebook that no one catches on, I know they will be *****y so wont be telling anyone if I can get away with it. My hubby knows and my mum and I want to tell my dada but my mum wants me to wait till nearer the time as he will worry.
my husband wants me to tell my in laws but i dont want to.
i will have to probably tell my brother
but people just dont understand they only see that you are fat and you when you are jolly and life and soul not at home unhappy or when you are trying to get something to wear or not able to do something etc... so only true close friends i think that know you inside and out know why you are going for wls.
good luck xxxx

Hi
i had the same reaction initially from one of my close friends, she has shared all my lows my obesity has brought me, but she did'nt take too long to come round and admitted her initial reaction was down to worry and had i really thought about this carefully. Any negavtive reaction i had was all from worry. I'm now two weeks post op(bypass) and relief is all around so support is in abundence. As Serenity says this is about you and what's right for you!. Good luck and i hope you don't have too long to wait x

The people I have told so far are.... my parents, sister & brother (& their partners) my best friend, my mum in-law, sis in-law and my aunt oh and not forgetting the man in the chinese, he wondered why I wasn't getting my chicken & black bean with chilli since I have been getting it every week for God knows how long :giggle:

I only told my best friend, the rest of them dont need to know, she was fab about it but I laughed when she said 'oh you'll be a skinny b*tch next summer thats not fair' I had to laugh as she's only a size 14. the only reason I told her was the 4 of us (us and hubby's) always go out for meals so she would have known something was up if I only ordered a starter and was hardly able to eat anything else, we dont have the same friends so she has no-one to tell anyway.
My parents were fine about it but my daddy thinks its a bit drastic and thought if I really put my mind to it I could have lost the weight on my own which is true but would it have stayed off???
My brother hasn't asked me anything about it, thats just him, I think I would die if he came across as all concerned :eek:
My sister was brill, thinks the weight im loosing is fab, she's all for living life to the full after being in a terrible accident and almost loosing her leg so anything that makes your life better gets a big thumbs up from her
My aunt has been the best, she thinks it brilliant and said she would do exactly the same if it was her

Your friend will hopefully come round, if she doesn't is she really worth it?

As far as I'm concerned , it's my business, not that I have a huge circle of friends to tell anyway. The people who knew first are the people who matter most and need to know, my partner and my kids. My inlaws and my own parents, sis and my brothers I told after the op.
My mum is still critical of me , I daresay will be wondering why I'm not size 10 already when I see her this week...but I think , my body my business....same as with any other operation I might have to have.
People will have their opinions and some will be negative. Not much you can do about it, do what you need to do for your health and happiness.

I think your friend is being very supportive and is right to be concerned about the dangers surrounding WLS. Bring her on here and let her see for herself just how many people have successfull WLS and hopefully it will ease her mind a bit. Sounds like you have a good friend there who really does care.

I had lots of support and also had one or two close relatives and friends that questioned the safety aspect of what I was doing, and to be honest I was glad of them because it made me take a long hard look at what I was doing prior tp the operation and certainly made the post op complications easier to deal with. Hope that make sense.

I have told my best friends, husband and mum. I can't bring myself to tell anyone else but I am amazed I haven't just blurted it out.
My best friend is amazing, and believes I should do what it takes to be happy and comfortable in my skin, my husband and mum think that its drastic but they also know how long I have been bothered with this, so are reluctantly supporting me.
Good luck xx

i have only told my boyfriend as i live with him lol, my dad and my close friend and one of my best friends, i havent told my other best friend as i love her to bits but sometimes she just gets on my nerve, its all about her problems (if u have friend like her u will know what i mean), i still havent told my brother, he is training to b a counsellor so i know i can trust him with everythin, i think i just wanna hold on to this till im 100% certain im havin the surgery. i dont think im even gonna tell people at work, as i will have time off for the surgery then book another 2 weeks off just to b on the safe side so im fully recovered when i go back to work.

thank u everyone xx

Back