• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How are you supposed to feel after first fill?

wildthing

Hi guys,

Had my first fill under x ray last Sat and despite being on liquids for 3 days (about 600 cals a day) haven't lost a pound, infact been same weight for 2 weeks or so am bit despondent. Also does it take time for band to settle dowm after first fill as I feel as if I have to burp after each tiny mouthful and wait for it to go through band before next mouthful. Just wondering if this is how the band is supposed to feel as before fill I could eat almost normal portions. Bit of heartburn too.

Wildthing,

600 calories a day is very low and your body could be hanging on to reserves....

Can you drink water normally?

Hi Cazbandy,

Yes water seems to be going through, trying to drink lots as read what Liz said about dehydatrion but get a kind of indigestion feeling and burping. Just tried some egg mayonnaise from a tub and that has gone down ok although could only manage a couple of tablespoons, find it hard not being able to glug water after eating to wash it down!

hi wildthing, what size band do you have and how much fill is in it ?

Hi Liz,
They put 4mls in a 10ml band when I had the op almost 5 weeks ago and when I went for the x-ray they put 3mls in.

hi wildthing 7 mils in a 10 mil band this early could be to much to soon, as restriction is usually built up slowly with smaller fills, you may only need 1/2 to 1 mil de fill and it can make a big difference, bands can ease off in time but usually over a 3-6 month peroid as some fill is naturally lost.

if you still find it difficult in a couple of days time i would recommend that you give your providor a ring as it just sounds like the fill needs fine tuning to the sweet spot.

liz x

Thanks Liz, I thought 3mls was a lot actually, if it still feels tight by Friday I'll give them a call. You'd think the weight would be falling off me wouldn't you:confused:

Hiya
I'd have to agree with Liz, I think you have too much in too soon. I had 3.5 mil in my 10 mil band after the op. I have had a total of 4 fills and am at 6.6mls, which is even less than you. I had my band done 11 months ago, and have the 4 adjustments done within that 11 months. It is a good sign that you can get liquid down, and keep it down, but I think you should double check with the people who did the fill, that they havent put too much in for the first fill. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.:)

hi wild thing..i also had 2 mil place in my band on sat which took me up to 7mil and i to have been struggling with mushy food and had been sick a few times...i call the nurse and she said it could still be swollen from having the fill and because ive been sick has caused more imflammation i was advise liquids again for a further few day to allow the imflammation to settle but to try solid foods after that and if i was still getting pains she said i would need a de-fill

Thanks all - Cherry Baby, I've been feeling the same as you but have found I'm managing soft egg ok, had few spoons of egg mayo yesterday and this morning had very soft mushy scrambled egg, try that.....

hi wildthing im still struggling im still on yogs and really thin soups i managed a bit of cornbeef ash yesterday but im still getting a bubbling feeling and regurgating some food....how r u getting on,
cherry
:wave_cry:

Been reading this thread and am a bit curious..

My 1st fill has been booked for july 2nd.. (band was put in may 12th) at the min am thinking I may need to ring my dietician as am feeling hungry quicker (had a shake for breakfast and soup for lunch with mashed potato and chicken sandwich filler mixed in for tea waiting) but am finding that after maybe hour and half - I feel hungry..

so once have had my fill - will I feel fuller longer and will I have to revert back to liquids/sloppy for how long afterwards?

Hiya cherry baby, still managing egg the best, don't get that feeling its going to come back up with it but tried some cottage pie yesterday and felt it was going to come back up with every mouthful. So at the mo, I'm sticking to soft scrambled eggs for brekkie, soup for dinner and today I'm gonna try fish and parsley sauce for tea but trying to drink a lot too. Wannabeanewme - You definately can't manage much after first fill, such a difference!

Wildthing,

How are you doing with your food intake? I hope you are able to eat a reasonable choice now and without discomfort.

:)

Hi Cazbandy,

Still struggling to get certain things down, but think I'm getting more calories in the last couple of days,as eating scrambled egg and soups easily. Supposed to be back on 'normal foods' today but can't see me managing much. Still stuck on the same weight though, so a bit confused and worried I'm going to be one of the percentages the band doesn't work for!!

Hi Cazbandy,

Still struggling to get certain things down, but think I'm getting more calories in the last couple of days,as eating scrambled egg and soups easily. Supposed to be back on 'normal foods' today but can't see me managing much. Still stuck on the same weight though, so a bit confused and worried I'm going to be one of the percentages the band doesn't work for!!

hi wildthing, this will work for you but i will stand by what i originally said that your bands to tight to soon and this is why your struggling, your experencing restriction that you shouldnt have to deal with until later in your journey and they havent let you learn to live and come to terms with normal restriction levels 1st. they have basically thrown you in the deep end and left you to cope with a band thats to tight, lack of calory intake will stop you loosing weight.
at the end of the day all i can give is advice from experience, i wish you luck if you decide not to have a de fill.

liz x

Last edited:
Hiya,

I agree I but I think I have to pay for a de-fill and am so skint and the moment. I'm not sure why but today it seems a bit better, I managed 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast, fish and parsley sauce for lunch and have just been shopping so am going to try fishcake for tea. Have managed all of the above today without that feeling of it rising back up my chest after I've eaten a few spoonfuls.....Does the band swell after a fill and then ease off maybe?

hi wildthing im glad today has been better for you, sometimes the band can ease off yes, if your relaxed the food will go down easier, just a tip try not to eat if your stressed, i cant eat when my son is annoying me at the table as the stress tightens my pouch, and eat slowly as well this helps alot.

Back