• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you think I have stretched my pouch?

Ines4C

Hi all, have posted this in the daily menu section but thought I would ask here as well in case some of you guys don't read those. I went out tonight with friends to a Spanish tapas place... I didn't want to eat anything I shouldn't so stuck with paella. To be honest I was hoping for a normal size portion which I was going to share with my friend, but instead they brought two big trays. In hindside I would have only ordered one portion for us both but I really didn't know. Anyway I was really enjoying it... Actually way too much, as I was full after a few tablespoons full but didn't stop and pushed it till I ate about three quarters of it. I felt overly full but okay, however I felt sick and nauseous five or ten minutes later. I had also tried a few bites of flatbread... Bad idea. Now I'm panicking that I may have stretched the pouch... Sadly this is not the first time I've eaten too much... Although I really rarely do. Any reassurance, and butt kicking, is appreciated. Also, I was thinking of doing a liquid day or two to get my stomach settled... Do you think that's a good idea?

Hi, you'll be fine. You can't stretch your pouch with one meal. It takes constant over eating for a long period of time to do that I've heard. X

Don't worry, we still have to enjoy life, even though we have restriction now. You know you won't eat like that every night so you'll be fine, and you won't mess it up. You're doing well x

Yes, exactly. Annie is right. It is pretty elastically so yes you prob did stretch it by eating so much this evening but it will shrink back again after the occasional over-indulgence. However, constant large portions may lead to a permanent stretch.

Maybe the nausea you had was dumping from the high carb content of the paella?

xx

No, consistent overeating, especially in the early weeks post op is how its done. Understand your anxieties, sometimes it feels like my portions just keep getting bigger. Have to keep telling myself I wont go back, but its difficult to believe it sometimes.

No, consistent overeating, especially in the early weeks post op is how its done. Understand your anxieties, sometimes it feels like my portions just keep getting bigger. Have to keep telling myself I wont go back, but its difficult to believe it sometimes.

What do you mean by in the early weeks post op? I'm now four months out, that's still quite early... right? I am normally very careful how much I eat, although I sometimes eat a bit too fast, but I do normally tchew very well. It's just when I go out that I sometimes don't stop early enough. Makes me so angry with myself, I feel like banning myself from ever going out to eat... Silly I know, but it's one of those self punishing modes I guess I still need counselling for.

What do you mean by in the early weeks post op? I'm now four months out, that's still quite early... right? I am normally very careful how much I eat, although I sometimes eat a bit too fast, but I do normally tchew very well. It's just when I go out that I sometimes don't stop early enough. Makes me so angry with myself, I feel like banning myself from ever going out to eat... Silly I know, but it's one of those self punishing modes I guess I still need counselling for.

The first 6-8 weeks are the dangerzone, when you can do the most damage. Its when you are healing and the pouch is swollen. Don't ban yourself from going out, you have to live a normal life! Normal people also over indulge when they go out. I have to removed food from my plate before I start eating, because I still try to clear my plate.

Going to do the same thing from now on, or maybe ask for a normal portion but a side played on the side and put the rest in a tupperwear box to take home... Just need to develop a coping mechanism. Thanks for your support and advice. X

When you've reached a 'sensible' point and don't want to (or can't) eat more then pour the salt pot over the remaining food on your plate. That will prevent you from revisiting and finishing it off. This is a coping technique worth trying if you need to x

Or pop an extra strong mint in your mouth. Nothing tastes good after that! x

Lol I'd be careful with sucking mints after surgery... Have never been a great fan of them anyway. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

I always take a box with me, I went out last week with friends an we had a set chinese meal, Must of mine came ho,me with me for my hubby!!

I always take a box with me, I went out last week with friends an we had a set chinese meal, Must of mine came ho,me with me for my hubby!!

I do too usually, but as I thought tI was only going to have tapas, I didn't think to bring the box this time. Will do next time just in case.

I think it is perfectly normal to worry about this, 2 years on I still worry if I manage an extra spoonful. Think this fear will always be with me but maybe not a bad thing as 99% of the time it keeps me on track.

Back