• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctor won't refer me

vickilady

Hello all, need some advice. I am very angry with my GP as he offered to refer me for funding and did loads of tests but has now said its not worthwhile as he has had similar patients turned down.

MY BMI is 52 and I have high blood pressure and live in Hampshire. But he says I need to have diabetes etc to qualify. I want to make sure this is true before I go down the private route.

Any advice much appreciated as I am so upset.

hi hun well they say if you ve a bmi of 35 plus medical issues then you qualify or a bmi of over 40... you tick all the box;s so i would push for a second opinion it seems abit mean and abit throw away for him to say 'o well other paitents got a no' everyones different and he should treat you each indivually sorry im not much help x

Thanks it does seem unfair but I've had a look at the guidelines for my area and it does clearly say I have to be over 60bmi or have co-morbidity which as my blood pressure is controlled then I don't have. I would need to put another 4 stone on or find £8,000!

im the same, apart from i had no medical conditions..only my BMI is 47.

she told me she would then refused after i had dieted. ive ended up going private because im that fed up of waiting round.

if you want to battle it out though, maybe change your doctors

xx

Hi,
So sorry that have had your hopes shattered but don't give up.

My GP, like yours, initially refused to refer me because she had never had a patient excepted for WLS and therefore considered referral as pointless.

I phoned my local hospital to find out what (medical) conditions qualify; so perhaps you could do the same.

I presented the info to GP and she still stalled. I asked to be referred to dietician as this was only thing that stopped me from qualifying- this she did.

I spoke to the consultant who manages my sleep apnoea - he wrote to my GP recommending I be referred.

Hallelujah! ... The GP then referred me.

My point is please don't give in...I'm sure there others more knowledgeable who will be able to give you more specific advice :hug99

Last edited:
it depends on each individual pct....you need to look up your pct and see what their criteria is ...if you then believe you fit the criteria put it in writing to your gp telling them you wish to be referred and why , how its effecting things the way they are are effecting your life, and that you believe you fit the criteria in your area

good luck with your journey and certainly dont give up x

Hi Vickilady, i am sorry you are having such trouble . It really does depend on your what your pct criteria is, this you need to try and find out. I wish you all the luck in your journey, Marie.:D

Hi Vickilady if it were me i would ring my pct direct and ask what the criteria is for referral. Then check all the comorbidities and check you don't have them. My husband had sleep apnoea and had lived with it for years without knowing, it was only when i mentioned he stops breathing he got it checked out! Get your gp to check for the diabetes too. Also is your blood pressure controlled because its good or are you on medication for it? It is all really relevant. If after finding all of this out and you should be referred then i would go to your gp armed with the information and say you are respectfully requesting he refer you.

I would say that your gp is not the only person who can refer, my husbands sleep apnoea consultant actually referred him for wls!

Good luck xx

HI Vickilady. How very frustrated yo must feel. I would echo what everyone else is saying but just add another suggestion - if you can persuade your GP or get someone else to refer you - my GP suggested (as he was also extremely negative and unhopeful about my getting funding) that I also write a letter to the pct exemptions board, putting forward my reasons for wanting/ needing WLS - I did so and I got a yes within a fortnight...because as my GP said, no-one can put it as strongly as you can.
Good luck with it.
Charis

Hello to everyone and I am so relieved to find this website.
After a long battle for funding I have been approved but would be pleased to join any support group for Dr. Ammori's Clinic, at the Royal Salford Hospital.
Does anyone have any information please?
Sincerest thanks, Beverlie

Last edited:
Try the BOSPA website for PCT criteria.

Controlled blood pressure doesn't mean it is not a co-morbidity - if you didn't have the treatment your BP would rocket.

I'd find out what is required, think about whetner you may have sleep apnoea and whther you have arthritis/mobility problems.

Then fight before you book privately

Good luck

Angela x

I would rather enjoy putting 4 stone on than trying to find £8000! Seriously though, do not give up. Try another doctor, nag the same one, move area! To be honest, I know the suggestions are not practical, but you have to consider all options. It depends how much you want the operation and how your life will change anyway! Best of luck - Paul x

Move area yes! Wolverhampton and Staffordshire fund automatically :) x

Thanks all - you've given me a bit of hope so I think I will nag my doctor as he is a good bloke really and genuinely wants to help. Annoyed really as I only moved to Hampshire last year so I could have had it done before i'd moved if I'd known i'd have this trouble. Bloody postcode lottery!

Hello all, need some advice. I am very angry with my GP as he offered to refer me for funding and did loads of tests but has now said its not worthwhile as he has had similar patients turned down.

MY BMI is 52 and I have high blood pressure and live in Hampshire. But he says I need to have diabetes etc to qualify. I want to make sure this is true before I go down the private route.

Any advice much appreciated as I am so upset.

Hi, Just a quick note after reading your post to say, your GP cannot refuse to refer you to be assessed by a bariatric service. It is your right as a patient. Once they have assessed you they will report back to your GP and then he should apply for funding.

Don't be fobbed off by a GP who should know better. xxx :)

Hi, yes I agree, dont give up. i wouldnt have thought a GP could refuse if you meet the criteria. Im from Yorkshire and it was my GP that suggested the wls to me. I was shocked because even though i had thought about it over the past years it wasnt something I had considered. I went home to think about it and went back to see the doc the week after and here i am pre - op next Wednesday. My very first appointment with the doc was back in Febuary. Dont give up keep trying lovey. I know it was easy for me but i would have gone to the end of the world for this. Thinking of you x

Here I go again - been back to my GP another 3 times begging for referral but they just won't. I then went for a private consultation and my bP was sky high so they sent me back to my GP to get referred through NHS and sort out my BP and guess what - the new GP was vile to me, looked at me like I was rubbish and said that she wouldn't refer me for surgery as I obviously wasn't taking my weight loss seriously enough judging by the state of me - so i've had enough - its definitely going to be private for me as I can't take any more of this abuse and jumping through hoops.

I just have one question for you?

Why don't you change gp's?

Oooh and who monitors your blood pressure to send you back to the gp? If it's a hospital consultant there's no reason they can't refer you for surgery. My hubbys' apnoea consultant sent him for the op, our own (okay not our regular gp, but still our surgery) told him to try and lose weight!

Just a thought xx

Back