• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whittington hospital anyone?

GBforraz

im a complete newbie here, thanks in advance for reading this.

I'm slightly confused and the process and what will happen. I was referred by my doctor to the Whittington hospital in London in March 3016, I received a letter in August 2016 to say I had an appointment to see the lead surgeon (Dr Sufi) in September 2016.

I went to the appointment where I filled out a questionnaire regarding my eating habits was weighed and measured then saw the surgeon who said I qualified for surgery but would need to lose a stone, provide fortnightly print outs of my weight, join a weight loss program, attend at least 2 bariatric support group and have a list of assessments. He has booked an appointment to see him in 8 months time.
I've done a lot of research on this website and a lot of people have mentioned funding and being turned down, the surgeon I saw did not mention funding at all. Now I'm nervous that I will do all of the things they have asked me to and then I won't qualify for funding.
Has anyone had a similar experience to myself?

Hi, I also did my surgery at the Whitt and there was no mention of funding at all throughout the process (except the nurses mentioning that there is no funding for revision or plastics). Your process sounds pretty much similar to mine - Mr Sufi operated on me, I was day case and everything went brill, no problems with the surgery itself. Good luck, try and attend a few support group sessions, I found them useful.

Thank you nafnpd, that's very helpful. I'm going to attend a support group this week, hopefully il get more information regarding funding and so on.
When did you have your surgery?

01 June 2016.

Early days are hard I must admit and there's a lot of changes to deal with - learning to 'eat' again and the pain (which is not as bad as i thought it would be) but slowly with time it gets better and better and now I am back to 'normal'. Pop over to my diary...

Back