• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

does a bypass really work?

Marky007

Hi guys, newbie here, just joined up. Im seeing a surgeon on thursday 25th june ( Professor Michael McMahon, Nuffield, Leeds. ) My head is in a spin. I have watched almost every you tube video on gastric bypass, been to almost every website. Im making this huge huge decision to have surgery, but keep comming up on stories about gastric bypass does not work for everyone, i mean not everyone looses weight. Just wondered what anyone thought about this, as i will be making a life long commitment to something that might not work. If i could not diet for ever before the op, how do you diet for ever after the op? My head is now spinning, im desperate to loose weight, at 440lbs and pain now in my knees and ankles, is it the right choice to have surgery? I was looking so much to being thinner in 12 months time, but reading stories of it not working for all people has me worried, that i will be one of those it does not work for. Many thanks guys. Mark

Hi Mark
I hope to God they do work because I hope to be getting one if not the sleeve . I`v been on other sites and the people I`v read about have done very well with the bypass . I know of one family the mother and her three children have had bypasses and they've all done great . But you do have to work with it . I`m 300lb and I also have very bad pains in my hips back and knees and I hope when I get mt surgery it want be as bad . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

yep they certainly do work, the more effort you put in the better the results at the end of it x

Hi & welcome. Not really sure where you are getting your information but I can tell you that I did not find that info to be true while doing my own extensive research over several years. I guess you would have to define 'doesn't work' for me. The surgery always 'works' as I understand because it reduces your portions and creates malabsorption. It works faster for some and slower for others for many various reasons. Also some people once they get back on 'normal' food work against the surgery (eating too often, eating mostly high calorie foods, snacking, drinking while eating which allows more volume to be eaten). The surgery can only alter your insides, not your head so if you are not prepared to make a complete lifestyle change which includes healthy eating and exercise then you should not go forward with any type of wls, you'll be waisting your time & money.

I have yet to meet or even hear about anyone who had the surgery, complied with the guidelines for success and was unable to shed weight. Now, if by 'doesn't work' you mean they don't get to their goal weight then I have heard of that, some people due to health reasons or non-compliance will stop losing weight before they get to a desired weight. Most surgeons say you can expect a loss of 70% of your excess weight which is well below what most people set as their goal. There is alwys the chance of complications with any wls, so please do your own research so that you know the risks. In very rare cases people will have their surgery reversed if it has serious health consequences, but it is never a case of the surgery not working.

HTH,
Nic;)

HiYa Mark, I felt exactally the same as you, all the way up to my Op and even on the day, Will it work? Thinking that it wouldn't work for me, But I am now just over 6 months Post Op and have done really well with my weightloss, So far I've lost 6st 1lb & only have 6 lbs to go.
Its not an easy journey, but you can do it! You have to work with the tool that they give you, The harder you work the better the results. If you really really want to change your life and lose the weight it will work for you. The hardest part is getting your head around it all and having a positive outlook on life. It is very Mentally hard in your head but it does get easier every day.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck with your desision and on your weightloss journey.;)

Mark...Could not agree more with Nic's comments and I'm down for surgery on the 10th July and your spot on about all the "IF THIS and IF THATS"....BUT for my little bit of advice simply take a good look around this site and listen to those who can talk with some conviction about surgery.That said like Nic commented on they DONT operate on your head it's your body BUT without the mind etc IT ALL MEANS VERY LITTLE....we all get scared and confused but push through all that and look at the positives....
M

Hi Mark

I'd echo whole heartedly what the guys here have said, its entirely up to you if it will work or not, and like the others i thought the same, though i knew i'd have to work with my bypass to lose the weight.

It does work and you can read my story here which includes pre and a recent post op pic

Richard loses 10 stones in 9 months

Be under no illusion though, its not the easy option that the popular press would make you believe, but it does have the desired results.
There's a few WLS guys here on minis and we've all had a reasonable amount of success so far.

I have only read about cases where people don't lose weight as they do not follow the rules and don't change their lifestyles (in fact some people even regain their losses). There are also different types of bypass as well - your surgeon will advise you, as some offer much higher ewl, and can be done in stages depending on initial size/weight/risks/health probs etc.

Speak to your surgeon - he will know exactly how to best help you.

Good luck.

I have only read about cases where people don't lose weight as they do not follow the rules and don't change their lifestyles (in fact some people even regain their losses). There are also different types of bypass as well - your surgeon will advise you, as some offer much higher ewl, and can be done in stages depending on initial size/weight/risks/health probs etc.

Speak to your surgeon - he will know exactly how to best help you.

Good luck.

Whilst i agree with most of what you have said here, please remember that Mark is looking at a bypass, follow a few basic rules and he wont fail ! a band though is a completely different tool and has to be worked at a lot harder.
It is possible to regain weight long term, and it does happen, but once you re eaducate your eating habbits it is controllable whilst still having a life, and in no way an endless diet !

Like all the others have said, get your head in the right place and follow the rules and you have nothing to worry about. Best thing I ever did :)

Any weight loss surgery is a tool to be used wisely. If you don't follow the guidelines and rules then like any other tool ever made of course it wont work. The first few months are the ideal time to change your eating habits and change them for the better. Already at 6 weeks post op I am so aware of the sugar content of things as I am really sensitive to sugar and do suffer from dumping syndrome and with a 2 year old at home this is something that I can't afford to happen at all.

Yes there are people who abuse the tool and unfortunately they do put weight back on. I know of one such person who 2.5 years down the line is on slimming tablets from the dr, but anotyher lady who had her op at the same time has been at target for the last 18 months and has just had her first TT. Why such a difference you ask yourself? Basically because she didn't listen to her surgeons advice. She was eating pasties from gregs, chocolate and crisps as soon as was possible working against the tool and the other made the right choices and worked with the tool she had been given.

I am so glad I had this op and after everything I have put myself and my family through I intend to do my very best that I won't ever return to the person I am now. To me this is not a diet but a lifestyle change.

Hope this helps xXx

im having my bypass soon and i have all kinds of thoughts including this as ive failed so often . but yes it does work i have a couple of freinds who have had it done and they to were yo yo dieters but it has worked for them and they say its the best thing they have ever done and they both say their only regret is that they didnt have it done beforeand i bet after youve had yours you will be saying same i know i will good luck

Whilst i agree with most of what you have said here, please remember that Mark is looking at a bypass, follow a few basic rules and he wont fail ! a band though is a completely different tool and has to be worked at a lot harder.
It is possible to regain weight long term, and it does happen, but once you re eaducate your eating habbits it is controllable whilst still having a life, and in no way an endless diet !

I was only talking about bypasses - as I said there are more than one type of bypass. Bands are absolutely hard work, but bypasses aren't exactly the easy option! I know of (bypass) people who have followed the rules but are on Reductil or had revisions because they have not lost enough weight - these are fortunately not common place.

In my support group there are mainly bypassers and those that are a few years out definately have to watch their weight. Most have had little regains and do diet and count calories still. Yes, follow the rules, but it is not always that simple. All of them have lost loads of weight though, it is just the maintenance that can be a little harder, but change the lifestyle and this should be easier...

Of all the people I have spoken to about bypasses (and that's a lot!) I have only met one person who regretted her decision. Everyone else has been well chuffed with the results and their new lives.

Hi guys, newbie here, just joined up. Im seeing a surgeon on thursday 25th june ( Professor Michael McMahon, Nuffield, Leeds. ) My head is in a spin. I have watched almost every you tube video on gastric bypass, been to almost every website. Im making this huge huge decision to have surgery, but keep comming up on stories about gastric bypass does not work for everyone, i mean not everyone looses weight. Just wondered what anyone thought about this, as i will be making a life long commitment to something that might not work. If i could not diet for ever before the op, how do you diet for ever after the op? My head is now spinning, im desperate to loose weight, at 440lbs and pain now in my knees and ankles, is it the right choice to have surgery? I was looking so much to being thinner in 12 months time, but reading stories of it not working for all people has me worried, that i will be one of those it does not work for. Many thanks guys. Mark

Hi Mark

Welcome to MIni's.

I,like you have not had any surgery as yet...I just wanted to say that I have avidly ready every thread on here with regards to the in's and out's of bypass, as that is what I think will work best for me.

I have not heard yet, of a bypass that didn't work....You will lose weight...the rate will be different for everyone...but you will lose......

With regards to the comparison you make about not being able to diet for 12 months before surgery, so how can you diet for 12 months afterwards...There are many bypassers on Mini's who will tell you and give you the best advice...But I see it like this; it's the diet you can't come off of. And that suits me just fine. I know it will not be easy because I am expecting a big fight with my own head (head hunger) but because my stomach will be smaller, this time I know the little guy is going to win...lol

It is a huge decision, I know and scary too...But once you have seen your providers, nurses, consultant and surgeons and have collected all their advice and, don't forget the advice from everyone at Mini's...you will do well.

~hugs~

Hi Mark.

They all do work if you work them.

I'm curious if you've considered the DS? It might be a viable option as well for you.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys, just have negative thoughts now and then about the bypass. Im such a wus,never been to hospital for anything, so this is a massive thing to undergo. But you peeps are just soooooo amazing and postive, always encouraging each other. I went to nuffield on thursday for some pre-op tests, and passed out having blood taken, whats it going to be like on surgery day, they might not even need to put me under, i will do it for them lol. Proff mcmahon was out of this world, and the nurses was amazing. Said i would need to stay a forth night because of my size, but im at the point now, what ever it takes.
It would be a great help if anyone else had experience of nuffield, like the procedure of things, from day one.
Oncw again, thankyou to you all. I think i will be living on this site for a long time to come. Its good to have a UK site for by-passers

Hi Marky007!! I'm a bander so can't be of much help to you but did want to say :welcome2:to mini's. You'll get loads of advice from the bypasses on here and they know what they're talking about.Good luck with your deision on which surgery you have. xxGaynorxx

Hi
I'm a wus too Marky but i'm down for bypass surgery on Aug 7th. I have to do this as life is miserable for me at my weight.Never gave it a thought to be honest that it might not work but as i'm going private thanks to my late dad i will follow every rule not just for me but to honour his memory as i knew he always worried about my health. Good luck with your decision and you will certainly find plenty of wise words and support on minis xx

Back