• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going back to work Post Op

Going back to work was

• Quicker than hoped

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Longer than planned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As the doctor advised

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I have the luxury of working from home / N/a

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ryanrara

RyanRARA
Hi All,

My Bypass is next week Friday (God it feel's good to say that). I am nervois, excited and now totally focused. Can not wait. Going through the motions alone is quite a journey.
Last week at the hospital I wa stold 6 - 8 weeks of work. Some have told me 4 weeks, I've met a few who went to work three weeks later. I would just like to hear from all of you how long you were off work for.
Assuming I have no complications, I hope to be back at work just under four weeks. For now I am booking 25 days sick leave. Surgery on 20 September, back at work on October 25th. I dont do heavy work, I sit at a desk (work in an office in city centre). It is a 24 hour office though and ,y hours change from days to nights. 4 days at 10am to 9pm, 4 days off, 4 nights at 9pm to 8am and then 4 days off again.
I am having open bypass and realize I may not be able to drive, that part is fine, as family members can help with lifts. And as it's 4 days work and 4 days break I am hoping that I can manage it.
Of course my health comes first and if at all I feel I can't manage it I will stay off work longer.
It's just I don't have a huge amount of sick pay, November begins our silly season and I am up for A VERY BIG PROMOTIONS (interview this week). So fingers crossed I can be back on 25th.
I would love to hear how long you were off for, any advice or thoughts?
Thank you!
:eek::D:);):rolleyes::p:(:):eek::D;)

Hi Ryan - Firstly Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow and look forward to seeing you on the losers bench!

I am not bypass but band, fairly straightforward and went back as expected. Guess though with bypass as its major surgery it will take a longer convalescence.

Did`nt want to cut and run. Hope you get a good response.

Have a speedy recovery hun x

Love Kat x

Hi Ryan - Firstly Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow and look forward to seeing you on the losers bench!

I am not bypass but band, fairly straightforward and went back as expected. Guess though with bypass as its major surgery it will take a longer convalescence.

Did`nt want to cut and run. Hope you get a good response.

Have a speedy recovery hun x

Love Kat x
Thanks for the support Kat. This site is just awesome for that. xxx (Bypass next Friday though, the 30th) xxx

Hi Ryan

Good luck with your op :)
I had a sleeve and was off for 8 weeks. I did have some complications early on.
I'm worrying four weeks for you is too optimistic? Xx

I agree that 4 weeks seems very quick for an open procedure.

Be guided by your body, sitting at a desk for 10 hours a day (or night) can be draining on the body. You don't want to rush things and cause a setback in your recovery!

Tatiana

I had my bypass 6 days ago and thought I'd be back to my office job after two weeks from the date of surgery, does anything think that will happen? I didn't have open surgery though just key hole.

Couldn't vote as there was no "Went back as soon as you could drive" option :D

Plus unless they have had an open procedure the experiences of the rest of us are useless for you mate, as the open procedure is a completely different kettle of fish with a far longer recovery period.

I went back after two weeks as soon as I was allowed to drive, but the surgeon gave me a total recovery time of 12 weeks for a lap op.

Good luck and don't rush it

Again I would think that 4 weeks is being optomistic. I had key hole surgery on 13th August and went back to work after 4 weeks. I too have an office job working 4 days a week and to be fair I found last week (my first week back) really hard and only managed 3 days, this week I'm trying to do 8.30 til 3 everyday this week and work til 4 next week.

i was told by the hospital expect 6 weeks off (i dont have a desk job)so that takes me upto my next appointment with the surgeon and the dietitian in 3 weeks time

Back