• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone else experience...

Lippyloirston

sneezing and a runny nose when they get food stuck? If you do, do you know why this happens? Thanks

Yes!
Sneezing and runny nose are symptoms of overeating (or something stuck in bypassers, I suppose).
Have you tried slowing down your meal and chewing VERY well? It usually helps.
If you get stuck often, then may I suggest you speak to your team about this issue?

Yes!
Sneezing and runny nose are symptoms of overeating (or something stuck in bypassers, I suppose).
Have you tried slowing down your meal and chewing VERY well? It usually helps.
If you get stuck often, then may I suggest you speak to your team about this issue?

Thanks Bally, it will be 4 weeks on Tuesday since my bypass, so I'm still a rookie. Today's episode was definitely my own fault. Should still be on puréed food, but really fancied a scrambled egg. Learnt my lesson :( x

Thanks Bally, it will be 4 weeks on Tuesday since my bypass, so I'm still a rookie. Today's episode was definitely my own fault. Should still be on puréed food, but really fancied a scrambled egg. Learnt my lesson :( x

I was done 3 weeks three days ago and I'm supposed to be on soft foods, but any more than four tea spoons just sits there not going anywhere and giving me pain. It's put me off eating altogether.

It's strange how surgeons seem to give different advice. I was told 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks puréed, 2 weeks soft, then start adding 'normal' foods. I have to say I really can't imagine eating normally again. Puréed food gets stuck sometimes and I've 'dumped' on foods that aren't high sugar or fat!

Trying not to get too ahead of myself, and just stick to the plan. I'm sure we will get there in the end :) x

I am four weeks and four days post bypass and although I am not getting any food stuck I can really sympathise with you about the dumping. I have dumped on all sorts that are not even high fat/sugar ! But I can eat full fat macaroni cheese/cauliflower cheese with no issue at all - it's like a lottery !!

Feel too apprehensive to eat out as feel just shocking when I dump and it always ends in VIOLENT diarrhoea (sorry but TMI !!)

sneezing and a runny nose when they get food stuck? If you do, do you know why this happens? Thanks

No I don't but if something does gets stuck I have to do the rabid dog sick thing and I can't talk/speak until I do ...it would prove embarrassing otherwise :rolleyes:

Lippy - when I was at your stage I was sick everytime I tried to eat anything. So frustrating. And funny enough my first time was scrambled egg! It does get better after about week eight-ish. I'm not sick anymore, and if I eat too much or don't chew properly it just feels like I've swallowed a golf ball and is deeply uncomfortable. It is very hard I've found to not revert to an old habit of trying to wash it down with a drink. In fact not drinking with a meal is probably the hardest challenge I've met - espesh Diet Coke. Oh, and no I have not sneezed. x

It's strange how surgeons seem to give different advice. I was told 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks puréed, 2 weeks soft, then start adding 'normal' foods. I have to say I really can't imagine eating normally again. Puréed food gets stuck sometimes and I've 'dumped' on foods that aren't high sugar or fat! Trying not to get too ahead of myself, and just stick to the plan. I'm sure we will get there in the end :) x
Yeah, mine said one week liquid then 2-3 weeks puréed, then a week of soft food. I've only dumped properly once but I've had lots of incidents of violent diarrhoea (excuse me). Lots of stuck food and sickness. Having said that I've lost a lot more weight than I thought I would, being quite small in comparison to a lot of bypassers before my op. So I'm happy, it's not like we feel hungry so it's not torture when we can't eat. Yep just doing what I'm told and waiting it out x

I don't get sneezing. But when I've had too much or get something stuck I get an uncontrollable build up if saliva in my mouth(tmi). That's when I know I've passed my limit and its time to stay near the toilet in case I'm sick.

At 4 weeks I was not too bad but I was sick regularly between weeks 6 - 10.

Hope all is going well?

Are you going to come to the group at Albyn at all?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Fatboyslimin, good to hear from you. When, and where is the next support group? Vaguely remember getting information about this months ago but can't find it now.

Hi Lippy

It's at Albyn block 23 I think. Next meeting is December 2nd @ 7.30.

The woman's email address is [email protected] she can keep you up to date.

Cheers
Gregor

I don't get sneezing. But when I've had too much or get something stuck I get an uncontrollable build up if saliva in my mouth(tmi). That's when I know I've passed my limit and its time to stay near the toilet in case I'm sick.

At 4 weeks I was not too bad but I was sick regularly between weeks 6 - 10.

Hope all is going well?

Are you going to come to the group at Albyn at all?

Yes I get this too (rabid dog :eek:) and the more I try to swallow it the sicker I feel. There's no controlling it... Apart from not getting into that situation in the first place lol

Back