• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Curious to know...What foods can you no longer eat after your bypass ?

emma-louise

my new life!!
There's been a few programmes lately about weightloss surgeries and whilst watching them,I've noticed the foods they eat.
And I'm just curious to know how they manage to eat these things after having a bypass done.
The people I watched was eating foods like bread/chicken nuggets/pizza..not healthy options I may add,but I was wondering more how it didn't get stuck?
I sometimes read people's diets on here,and I'm amazed how much variety you have daily.
I struggle a lot with it getting stuck!. So my foods are quite limited..I eat a lot of salad stuff and lots of fish and beans/peas...and sometimes naughty crisps(as I know they don't get stuck)...does anyone else struggle like this?

I'm only 9 weeks out and can't imagine eating what people eat on tv! And why abuse your pouch like that? It's there to help you. Makes me cross!! X

To be honest, I have yet to find something I can't eat. I'm 11 months out now, so it seems unlikely I will. I have always had a very varied diet, I'm fortunate that that has continued Post op. I love cooking, never have had much in the way of junk for meals (it was the snacking/binging that was my problem). Food rarely gets stuck, and if it does its normally because it's too try or I've swallowed too soon. I am a habitual slow eater, always have been, so have often wondered if that has helped. I don't think that the occasional 'naughty' food or take away is abusing our pouches, we have these surgeries to live a normal life, and normal people have these foods.

Last edited:
I have found. that I can eat most things but I do also eat very slowly and can only eat a very small amount .
I Have found over the last week smells of food have made me feel a bit sick when I have been out and that was chicken cooking in sainsburys must be my belly. I can not have any sugar at all as that made be sick so its always best to stick to the rules as the only person we we would be cheating would be ourselves good luck.

I have constant craving for sweet stuff, I can only have a bit of it but still enjoy and think about it. I still get excited if I am going somewhere and there is a meal provided, sounds silly but my body did and still does that. Only real thing I have problems with is white bread, too much and I get a bad tummy. Most other things are fine. Had problems with fish in the 1st year but can eat it now, I never have ordinary crisps only usually quavers, o n x's and pom bears. xx

I can and have been able to eat everything from day one. I mostly stick to healthy food, but sometimes I do eat at the dreaded mcds with my family etc. but it really is sometimes. I don't abuse my bypass and am fully committed to the change in lifestyle. I hope my weightloss speaks to that. But life does go on postop.

Can't touch white bread,pastry,rice, mushrooms, white fish, meat ( can manage a bit of chicken, oranges. I can eat crunchy things.
I mostly eat pulses,vegetables, nuts, berries and fat free greek yoghurt. I like all of them.
Oh, and despite it having white flour in , for some reason I can eat cake !

I am almost 9 weeks post op, the only thing I find I can't eat (it fills me too quickly) is mashed potato, they are still things I've not tried yet such as bread and rice, plus I've not had any things like cakes biscuits sweets etc but I don't have a sweet tooth. I am mainly living on home cooked fresh foods.

I am almost 9 weeks post op, the only thing I find I can't eat (it fills me too quickly) is mashed potato, they are still things I've not tried yet such as bread and rice, plus I've not had any things like cakes biscuits sweets etc but I don't have a sweet tooth. I am mainly living on home cooked fresh foods.

I have that with mash potato too. Makes me feel really uncomfortable after just a forkful

I have that with mash potato too. Makes me feel really uncomfortable after just a forkful

Its the only thing thats made me sick so now I avoid it, I can have a few h/m wedges tho :)

The only thing I struggle with is bread. I am fine with wraps or sandwich thins though. I can eat everything else, but in small amounts obviously. So I still have to exercise some willpower when making my choices. Having said that, sweet food such as chocolate and cake makes me feel very sick if I eat too much so I limit these xx

I can eat anything but I avoid white bread unless it's toasted.
Still love food but can't eat as much.

Can't touch white bread,pastry,rice, mushrooms, white fish, meat ( can manage a bit of chicken, oranges. I can eat crunchy things. I mostly eat pulses,vegetables, nuts, berries and fat free greek yoghurt. I like all of them. Oh, and despite it having white flour in , for some reason I can eat cake !

So like me...lol apart from I love fish(tuna I've had near blockages with that stuff!)
I eat loads of beans/peas...but sometimes I'd kill for a small sandwich or bacon butty!

I have veggie bacon between two slices of wholemeal crackerbread (or Lidls own version which is even better) with a hint of brown sauce. Yumificent !, xx

I have veggie bacon between two slices of wholemeal crackerbread (or Lidls own version which is even better) with a hint of brown sauce. Yumificent !, xx

Are you vegetarian?
I have a lidl near me..so does it taste bacon and not get stuck?
Sounds nice

There's been a few programmes lately about weightloss surgeries and whilst watching them,I've noticed the foods they eat.
And I'm just curious to know how they manage to eat these things after having a bypass done.
The people I watched was eating foods like bread/chicken nuggets/pizza..not healthy options I may add,but I was wondering more how it didn't get stuck?
I sometimes read people's diets on here,and I'm amazed how much variety you have daily.
I struggle a lot with it getting stuck!. So my foods are quite limited..I eat a lot of salad stuff and lots of fish and beans/peas...and sometimes naughty crisps(as I know they don't get stuck)...does anyone else struggle like this?

Me too Emma although I do treat myself to about a quarter of my hubbies carry out chicken chasni once in a while or should I say I take about four or five chicken pieces out of the sauce and have a tbs of rice. It's enough for me and so far I haven't dumped on it. Makes a change from the endless piece of sauceless fish/meat with salad option that I'm usually left with. The only dessert I have been safe with is sugar free butterscotch angel delight which thankfully I love. Most sauces or gravies make me explosively you what :eek: as does most baddy foods. Pizza is just too doughy for me while while bread, unless it is toasted, sticks and just sits there. Yes it's boring but I am coping and not scared to try new things but unfortunately there is very little that floats my boat any more. How I will feel in 3 years time will be another story.

So far there is nothing I can't eat. I don't dump even on sweet things, but the quantity I can eat at any one time is exceptionally limited so I allow myself treats if I'm in the mood. I don't have a sweet tooth, mostly due to being trained off it as a diabetic.

But I can eat a slice of pizza, pasta, bread, steak. All of that goes down without issue.

Be easier to say what I can eat, to be honest.

I can't eat bread, meat, pasta, rice, noodles, pizza, corn, parsnips, tuna, coleslaw, fish fingers, pies, pastries, list goes on.

However I've only dumped twice, These are just foods that come back up three fold if I touch them.

Back