• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone else miss veg.

Mrs Quiggle

I've always been such a big veg eater. I love veg. When I do a roast I do about 5-6 different veges and eat loads. I really miss them now. I know we can have veg obviously but getting the protein in is a priority and the tiny amount of veg just doesn't seem much. What about the 5 a day thing.

Do you think it would be harmfull to have a veg day once a week where I ate loads of veges for lunch and dinner and just had protein snacks.

I'm off to Surrey St. Market in Croydon this morning which is teeming with all kinds of fruit and veg and I will have to keep my hands in my pockets to stop me buying it and it going to waste.

What's girl to do!

Kate x

i feel tha same Kate i love fresh veg especially cabbage and broccoli carrot and turnip mix yum yum i have bought them and they've just gone to waste on my plate i still do them for family because they all like fresh food home made and my hubby does beautiful soups , i felt the same about fruit i love bananas apples and kiwi fruit but can't get them in :( i did have some melon cubes when i was feeling really rough and enjoyed them but now it's just protein protein protein x

I still eat veg with most meals ... just not piles of it. Moderation in all things these days but what I have keeps me happy :) :) xxx

it's just hard at the moment fitting it in and i'm sure in time i will be able to enjoy it again :) i still put it on though just in case :)

As big veggie growers who had 2 allotments this is something i will miss BIG time, we gave the lottie up due to hubbys health and now have raised beds in the garden which will grow all we need, guess it will be a case of savoring the flavors and not stuffing masses, going to try some very rare and expensive to buy stuff. Love fruit and will be gutted if cannot manage a small banana sometimes :(

we have a green house and veggie bit in garden too :( i have had small banana but only half a children size one x

I do miss the various tastes that fruit and veg bring.. I try and have a taste when I cook meals for the family and enjoy the little I have. I do have satsumas and melon as snacks when I feel like some fruit though.

That will be great, we have a greenhouse to and i love warm tomatoes straight of the plant !!!!! and m a chilli nut i grow loads of rare varietys and doing melon this year as i love it yummmmmmmm (ok i have a food problem lol).

does it make you mad at yourself all the lovely fruit and veg etc we grow and really enjoy when we eat it but end up needing surgery because of all the other rubbish we eat :)

Try the children's pre prepared snack portions from the supermarkets ... just enough to satisfy any craving you may have & there are a lot of different kinds. As for banana's I have at least 3 a week. I am strange & love banana on wholemeal bread, mmm. Only 1 slice & half a banana but it sure hits the spot :D:D xxx

I'm vegetarian and I love fruit and vegetables. I still have some fruit and veg every day. It's a problem finding, and wanting, the amount of protein I'm suppose to be eating.
Don't talk to me about wls being the easy option because I am finding it hard going trying to work out my daily meals - maybe I am just totally lazy - could that be due to lack of protein, I've got no oomph.

i'm struggling too trying to get protein in and i'm not vegetarian that's why at the moment it's all i'm trying to focus on , i do write myself menus for the week and try to cook the same for the family eg cottage pie stew etc i do make sure i get at least one milk drink a day ovaltine at night or milky coffee in afternoon :)

the protein is important, i love veg too so i have some veg.... just a little bit of everything... a few sliced carrots, one bit of broccoli etc... if you are growing it... freeze it xx thats what i will do. i love veg so im not gonna cut it out x i have only tried banana so far... but since ive been on soft foods a havnt really had any snacks just the 3 meals... its says on my diet sheet i can have a desert ater lunch and dinner, but i dont know if i have that straight after or do i have to wait.. its confusing as if i wait then thats less drinking time lol

I am 7 weeks post op and I have eaten fruit and veg from 2 weeks out. at first i could only manage half a small banana but now I can eat a whole small one, I have a couple of clementines or satsumas most days, I can eat a whole apple, including the peel. I have green beans, sweetcorn, carrots, parsnip, carrots etc. I am having beef and veg stew for dinner. I also add spinach to curries and yoghurt. I don't feel like I am missing out on any veg. I have been eating salad since Christmas day too. I've had no problems with anything. But I don't eat bread, rice or pasta, and I eat things wrapped in lettuce instead of spread on crackers etc. Eg Paté x

i don't know then if i'm just too scared to stretch my tummy ? as soon as i feel anything i stop and there is no way i could manage pud and dinner even if they were both small :( think i will have to make myself have a bit more :)

somebody suggested Cheese triangles wrapped in chicken slices for lunch..sound nice so might try that lol... sorry that wasnt anything to do with veg...so here would be my add veg option...

Chicken Slice, spread cheese spread over the slice, cut some cucumber up into strips and put on top of cheese spread, add a bit of grated carrot... then roll... you could have a few of these for lunch.. lots of protien, low fat and some veg... ooh may get some chicken slices today..and a carrot lol

ooh just thought i would add... i had them for lunch...well late lunch about 4.30!!.. 3 slices of bernard matthew turkey, 2 extra light laughing cow triangles and cucumber... they were lush and came to 19g of protein x

Wow Rayne that sounds lovely, will give them a try. I have some really nice ham on the go at the moment.

I've been eating veg right from the start but it just seems so small an amount especially with the campaign to eat 5 a day etc. There are so many good antioxidants etc in veges but I suppose that's the pay off isn't it. The five a day rule is a minimum in reality.

Well I've been to the market and for a tenner I got.
2 big hands of bananas
2 large and 1 small swede
2 punnets of huge strawberries
1 medium mixing bowl of sprouts
1 m mixing bowl of onions
1 m mixing bowl of carrots
6 good sized leeks
1 huge bunch of green seedless grapes
2 mangos
1 large punnet of mushrooms.

Not bad for a tenner I think. I've chopped some up to go in the chicken chasseur that's simmering in the slow cooker for later and will make chicken and veg soup with some more and cock a leekie soup. Trying to keep protein in there as well as plenty of veg. Will creamy the cock a leekie up a bit with marvel to add a bit too.

Everyone eats loads of veg here so hopefully I'll need to go again next week.

Kate x

Well I've been to the market and for a tenner I got.
2 big hands of bananas
2 large and 1 small swede
2 punnets of huge strawberries
1 medium mixing bowl of sprouts
1 m mixing bowl of onions
1 m mixing bowl of carrots
6 good sized leeks
1 huge bunch of green seedless grapes
2 mangos
1 large punnet of mushrooms.

Not bad for a tenner I think.

Kate x

That seems a hell of a lot for a tenner... what a bargain :)

Back