• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help...

Scarlet

OK so I am not liking me very much at the moment -

3 weeks ago my scales stopped working and after a week i brought a new set, OK so i know scales have differences but when i got on them i was expecting to be around 13.6 and they read at 14.2 lbs. This made me a bit upset and despondent - so since then i have been doing 30 minutes of wii fit a night and have spent most weekends doing stuff (last weekend it was 3 hours of digging my veg patch) and nothing is shifting....

I have hovered around 14 stone for the past 3 weeks. Now i am only 6 weeks post op i couldn't have hit a plateau already?

What can i do ?

Maybe i am eating to much my daily diet is

- 1 weetabix
- 1 Bannana
- Protein Shake
- Laughing cow light Dairy Triangle
- the insides of a spinach tart - or quiche about (2 tablespoons)
-maybe some grapes

is this too much?
i dont know

With all the problems with my bowels (which i am still in agony with) it seems so futile :-( Why go through all this if it isn't going to work?

is it too soon for a 5 day pouch test?

Sweetheart, that doesn't sound like much to me... try myfitnesspal and register what you are having, it's hard to get 600 calories I find per day but find I'm eating in the main protein, just changed my breakfast to a protein shake...

It's possible your body is just hoarding and waiting for the next weightloss burst.

Well done on all of your motivation and exercise... xxx

i wonder if your eating enough i am 5 weeks post op i have oaks so simplwe 1/2 pkt with some protein powder and semi skimmmed milk for breaky
i have laughing cow triangles spread over slices of ham rolled or a salad with chicken
and for tea i have shepherds pie about half a ready meal size and veg and fish pie same amount with veg ................ i seem to of lost every week but one, the dieticians say what i eat is fine x
also are you drinking enough ??
i had terrible trouble with my bowels but the lactulose soon started workingx
you have had a good weight loss though and some people do plateau though at all stages and i have heard of some who plateau early on x
good luck xxx

I agree Tracey, I'm eating quite a bit more than Scarlet... I know it's hard though without fancying food or having little appetite... try concentrating on proteins first precious and record your intake... xxx

thank you Bev and Tracey .. its nice to have such nice encouragement and advice, i have been scared of comign on here as i feel such a faliure at the moment and like i have let myself down...

i am just so down at the moment - maybe i need to concentrate more on my intake - i am so scared of eating to much though - talk about swings and roundabouts... :-(

i have a ipad app i can record my intake on i will start using that again..

anyone know what ideally i should be aiming for

800 - 900 calories i believe hun
some days i can eat more than others if i feel hungry o have a babybel or banana
your not a failure it is swings and roundabouts untill you find whats right for you x

Hi Scarlet I have just bought myself a set of scales that weigh body fat and stuff as well as your weight and they weigh me 9lbs heavier than my old scales - my old scales weighed me the same as the hospital ones.
Why don't you try to weigh yourself on the ones in Boots or somewhere and then at home and see if they are accurate ?

Don't give up on yourself - you'll get there.

Tracey, never ever feel a failure... we are all learning and it's a new experience for all of us Angel.

I doubt I can eat 800 or 900 calories a day, but I do fill up like Tracey says with a banana or babybell lights... in between meals, I never go too long without eating...

I've just rearranged my breakfast routine and it's worked better today... it's trial and error for certain Angel.

Hang onto us, we'll all get through one way or another, love and hugs precious xxx

Tracey - you're definitely not eating enough love. Up your intake - especially protein - and I think you'll find the weight will start coming off again... I know it sounds crazy, but believe me ! Your body is hanging on to everything you're giving it at the moment 'cos it can't survive otherwise...

I have yet to have the bypass but I am told (and from what I have read) - at 6 weeks post op you should be looking at 4 meals a day high protein so say a 3oz steak/fish with veg . . . eating the protein first then as much of the veg until you fell comfortably full.

Milk and dairy are very important, choose low–fat cheese and limit amount to 1–2 oz. Choose skimmed milk and low fat yogurt varieties. Three portions of dairy food a day will ensure that you are obtaining sufficient calcium from your diet. Remember, fruit and vegetables (7 portions per day, so they say). Salads tend to be easily digested, and green vegetables are also generally easy to digest. Carbohydrates (slow release energy)– bread, potatoes and cereals – 2 portions per day. For many bypass persons, this group is somewhat harder to digest so you develop an in–built mechanism to reducing your carbohydrate intake! Replace soft bread in your diet with granary or wholemeal, or crisp breads which are more easily digestible. One small portion of 2–3oz at each meal will be fine. Fats and sugary foods – should be avoided.

Alcohol – you can drink as much as you like as alcohol is good for you and has no calories whatsoever, oh hang on, that should be water !!

Last edited:
scarlett is your real name Tracey too ??
cause i am now getting confused lol

LOL! Scarlet (yes definitely Scarlet!) you aren't eating enough and there isn't enough protein in your diet either by what you've put on here.
You need to be aiming for 6 portions of protein per day
a portion is
1 egg
2oz lean meat/chicken (I think)
1/3 pint milk
1oz hard cheese or 2oz cottage cheese (choose low fat)
2oz white fish or 1oz oily fish (again, I think)

then eat 2 portions fruit
2 portions veg
2 portions carbs (rice, potato, pasta, bread, cereal)

drink 2-3 litres water, don't drink 1/2 hour before of after meals.

Even if you stick to all the rules you could hit a stall early on; some people do.
You're definitely not failing.

I'm almost 7 months out now, and one thing I have learned: even on a week where you have stuck to all the rules, you may have little or no weight loss. like me this week)
Your body will lose at its own pace.
Stick at it and you will soon be seeing results again.
Oh and try to avoid weighing more than once a week, max. It can get very obsessive and demoralizing.
Grace xxx

Hi all. I am unsure what to eat and whether I am eating too much.

Yesterday I had:

Breakfast babybel light and 1/2 a low carb protein bar

Lunch 2 small hot poached salmon pieces with feta salad with chick peas, cucumber, rocket and avocado

Dinner smoked salmon wrapped around low fat cream cheese with salad (from earlier)

snacks - 2 large strawberries

I find meat and prawns don't stay down. So I am mainly eating fish and cheese for protein.

I dont eat bread just rivita sometimes with low fat cheese spread. The only other complex carb I can manage is sushi rice.

Any suggestions on what else I should try or if I need to cut down what I am eating would be great! Thanks xxx

OK so I am not liking me very much at the moment -

3 weeks ago my scales stopped working and after a week i brought a new set, OK so i know scales have differences but when i got on them i was expecting to be around 13.6 and they read at 14.2 lbs. This made me a bit upset and despondent - so since then i have been doing 30 minutes of wii fit a night and have spent most weekends doing stuff (last weekend it was 3 hours of digging my veg patch) and nothing is shifting....

I have hovered around 14 stone for the past 3 weeks. Now i am only 6 weeks post op i couldn't have hit a plateau already?

What can i do ?

Maybe i am eating to much my daily diet is

- 1 weetabix
- 1 Bannana
- Protein Shake
- Laughing cow light Dairy Triangle
- the insides of a spinach tart - or quiche about (2 tablespoons)
-maybe some grapes

is this too much?
i dont know

With all the problems with my bowels (which i am still in agony with) it seems so futile :-( Why go through all this if it isn't going to work?

is it too soon for a 5 day pouch test?

Hi honey
looks to me that you arent eating enough and certainley not enough protien, the bowel problems do settle try and get somemore fluid in xxx

Back