• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone know if my food 'CRAVING' is bad for me!!....

emma-louise

my new life!!
I've got a real bad craving for chickpeas,I've been buying them in slightly salted water in a tin.

The thing is I'm eating a tin a day,but sometimes I'm eating 2 a day,does anyone know eating this quantity is bad?
I'm not sure if I've read somewhere that beans/peas are high in carbs but is this fattening?

Surely eating these are better than eating crisps and crap ...can anyone shed any light...before I turn into a chickpea!

As far as I'm aware they are high in carbs, so large quantities they won't be great for you. As long as you are having plenty of protein too, they should be ok.
Like you say, they have to be better than crisps etc.
I would maybe have a look at the calories, just in case

I suppose too much of anything is not good for you. However as cravings go, dont think its that bad really! I think they have something like a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein.

Not sure how many in a pack but they are about 380 calories for 100g. With about 46g of carbs and 20g of protein. Recommend portion size is 25g. I think it's a healthy snack but too many wouldn't be great. Like most things I guess but definitely better than crisps.

Well...I just ate a whole tin for breakfast...it's weird as I've never really ate chickpeas before till recently.
Trying to find out on the Internet if they are fattening....they are a good protein at least.

When you have a craving for something look at what it contains and you will find your body may be lacking something. After my op and about 3 months in i got a really bad craving for mussels (iodine) and tomatoes ( i think tjis was a salt craving as i had to have them with lots of salt- you will find it go sfter a while when your body has topped up.

When you have a craving for something look at what it contains and you will find your body may be lacking something. After my op and about 3 months in i got a really bad craving for mussels (iodine) and tomatoes ( i think tjis was a salt craving as i had to have them with lots of salt- you will find it go sfter a while when your body has topped up.

It might be I'm craving carbs..lol
I've cut them out of my meals..I mean they mostly get stuck with me and I'm in agony after eating,especially bread!
And as I'd gained a little weight cutting them out helped shift it again.
But chickpeas go down a treat!

I love chick peas too!

I don't eat meat so for me they are a good source of protein and fibre as well as vitamins.

I have them once a day during the week, either with a salad at lunch or curried for my evening meal. Chana massala - yumm!

Is it a large tin you are eating?

I love chick peas too!

I don't eat meat so for me they are a good source of protein and fibre as well as vitamins.

I have them once a day during the week, either with a salad at lunch or curried for my evening meal. Chana massala - yumm!

Is it a large tin you are eating?

Hi Mazza,
I'm eating around 270g drained...but it's a normal size tin.
As meat,pasta,rice,bread gets stuck I'm eating these,but the quantity is a bit worrying..lol
So you eat them once a day too?

Chick peas are good quality complex carbs and have a good amount of fibre as well as providing protein, they are low GI so should also keep your blood sugar stable,
You should consider thowing the salt water off and rinsing it as this salty water contains the byproduct that causes gas.
Chick peas will not harm you in any way but may slow your weight loss in large amounts as they are very nutritionally dense. Here in the middle east we make hummus out of it with some lemon juice, tahini paste, garlic etc there is also olive oil in but I make mine without the tahini and oil and use it as a dip for raw veg sticks.

Chick peas are good quality complex carbs and have a good amount of fibre as well as providing protein, they are low GI so should also keep your blood sugar stable,
You should consider thowing the salt water off and rinsing it as this salty water contains the byproduct that causes gas.
Chick peas will not harm you in any way but may slow your weight loss in large amounts as they are very nutritionally dense. Here in the middle east we make hummus out of it with some lemon juice, tahini paste, garlic etc there is also olive oil in but I make mine without the tahini and oil and use it as a dip for raw veg sticks.

Thanks for that...I find hummus a bit hard to stomach due to the garlic in it.
But there's no slowing down on the craving yet!
2 tins I've had today..and I realise this is not going to help with weightloss.

Hi Mazza,
I'm eating around 270g drained...but it's a normal size tin.
As meat,pasta,rice,bread gets stuck I'm eating these,but the quantity is a bit worrying..lol
So you eat them once a day too?

I don't eat meat and I'm wary of fish unless I've cooked it or opened the tin myself! lol

So yes, at work its my protein choice at the salad bar :D

Back