• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just got referal to gastric band

bumnelly

Hi i'm new to this but i have just read some of the forums and thought you'd be of some help.
I've just asked my doctor today if i can be refered to get a gastric band and he is sending a letter of.
I'm 31 yrs old and got a bmi of 37, i have read up on this alot and know that you have to have some medical reason when your bmi is low like mine, so i woundered if i could explane whats my reasons for this and see what you all think.
I've been getting weighed by my doctor now for 3 to 4 years, i've been on Xenical and Raducil for about as long, none of them have worked and i seem to be putting weight on more and more.
I have recently had surgery on my legs through shin splint, but my weight isn't helping this as it's putting more pressure on my tibia bones, i can't sleep through the night and haven't for many years, i wake up every couple of hours, and i can't sleep on my side with my knees touching cause of the pain i get in them.
I work as a picker which cosists of walking around a warehouse for 5 - 7 hours a day and going up and down stairs, so i am really active and everyone at work tells me to slow down and i get to the gym nearlly every day.
I have medical problems in my family as well, my dad has diabetes and has had angina, as well as all his siblins and there's 11 of them, my nan also had these.
I have been on depresion tables about my weight and am still on them and i start to panic when i go out because i think everyones talking about my size.
It's now effecting my marrige, i don't want sex because i think how can my hubby want to come near me looking like this.
Sorry to go on but does anyone know if i'd have a chance.
Thanks for reading and hope i havent board you to much x

Hi and welcome to minis....the medical criteria will be laid down by your local PCT...for example mine was BMI of 35+ with co morbidities. I had high blood pressure and cholestral and was turned down first time....I only got funding when they tested me for sleep apnea...each PCT is different and you need to check with them what they are looking for...good luck..xx

Welcome to Minis..you will be surrounded by very helpful friends here and it such a great feeling.

I'm having a band fitted but self funding so cant help on that side of it..but wanted to say hello welcome and good luck with your WLS journey:gen126:

Hi Nelly, you will get a lot of help and advice here. I was self funding as my area doesn't do WLS. It sounds like you are really quite depressed - could you ask to be referred for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - as this might help with your anxiety, low mood and paranoia about going out.
Find out about your blood pressure and cholesterol because as said by charliegirl, you will need co-morbidities at a BMI of 37. It sounds like you get a lot of exercise. If you can't get it on the NHS, is there anyway you could scrape together, beg, borrow etc£4,950 which is the cheapest I found. I know it's hard - my husband and I spent everything we had plus extra in shape of loan.
I really hope you feel a little brighter soon and that you have joy - one way or another- with getting WLS.

Hi Nelly, welcome to minis.Ask your gp to test you for a few things like the sleep apnea, diabetes,cholestral, high blood pressure as these things you may not know you have untill tested but if you have then it will help with getting funding.I didn't know I was diabetic till my pre op.Good luck on your journey and look forward to reading how it goes. Take care xx Gaynor xx

hi nelly, i have just been refered today for my gastric band so we will be in the same boat my BMI is 43 but i dont have a clue haow the criteria works either ! Alot of my problems are the same as yours to i have tryed xenical, reductil leagal and illeagal weightloss jives but nothing has ever worked i hope we can be friends and go through this together im new on here so hi to everyone and you all sound like you are doing fantastic keep it up ladies and gents !!
xxxxxxxxxxx

nelly & haylez welcome to minis xxx

Back