• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help. Advice on how to get the Lap band.

Akra

Hello all, I'm new to the forum after lurking for a while. I've come to see that my problems are the same as all of you wonderful people. I'm singing the same tune as everyone here, I think.
But as a newbie, I need your help.
I'm 21, female, my BMI is about 37 (about 260lb) I don't drink, smoke or take drugs, I've been overweight and unhappy all my life. I've tried every pill, potion, miracle cure under the sun. I went through a period last year where I didn't eat more than 400cals a day for over 6months last year. I hated it and myself at the time and even though I lost alot of weight, I risked my health and I didn't care because it was working.
But now I've put the weight back on and I know it's affecting my health. I have hypertention (high blood pressure), my breathing is sometimes restricted and I feel generally unhealthy.
I am desperatly unhappy and i lack motivation. I'm not looking for a quick fix or a miracle, i need something that would force me to change by necessity and from what I know, this is what woud work.

Does anyone know of where/how I can get financing to get the gastric band fitted? This may come across as slightly desperate and maybe it is.
I'm fresh out of uni, can only get part-time hours simply because my firm has no more to give, I have no assets like a house as collateral and as such my bank can't give me a loan.
I'm at the end of my tether.
I have been diagnosed with depression and the kicker of it all is that my kneejoints are out of alignment so I physically cannot exercise properly. I'm by no means disabled, but strain on my knees is painful and ineffective anyway.
I can maintain a weight, but nothing I do seems to reduce it.
This is something I've wanted for a long, long time, but I don't know how to go about doing it. Or even if I can.
Could I get it on the NHS? Do any clinics offer financing that someone in my financial situation could be approved for?
Just because I can pretend everything is ok, doesn't mean it is. I disgust myself. I just don't want to relapse into that starving/binging/purging cycle.
If anyone can help, please, please do.

Hello all, I'm new to the forum after lurking for a while. I've come to see that my problems are the same as all of you wonderful people. I'm singing the same tune as everyone here, I think.
But as a newbie, I need your help.
I'm 21, female, my BMI is about 37 (about 260lb) I don't drink, smoke or take drugs, I've been overweight and unhappy all my life. I've tried every pill, potion, miracle cure under the sun. I went through a period last year where I didn't eat more than 400cals a day for over 6months last year. I hated it and myself at the time and even though I lost alot of weight, I risked my health and I didn't care because it was working.
But now I've put the weight back on and I know it's affecting my health. I have hypertention (high blood pressure), my breathing is sometimes restricted and I feel generally unhealthy.
I am desperatly unhappy and i lack motivation. I'm not looking for a quick fix or a miracle, i need something that would force me to change by necessity and from what I know, this is what woud work.

Does anyone know of where/how I can get financing to get the gastric band fitted? This may come across as slightly desperate and maybe it is.
I'm fresh out of uni, can only get part-time hours simply because my firm has no more to give, I have no assets like a house as collateral and as such my bank can't give me a loan.
I'm at the end of my tether.
I have been diagnosed with depression and the kicker of it all is that my kneejoints are out of alignment so I physically cannot exercise properly. I'm by no means disabled, but strain on my knees is painful and ineffective anyway.
I can maintain a weight, but nothing I do seems to reduce it.
This is something I've wanted for a long, long time, but I don't know how to go about doing it. Or even if I can.
Could I get it on the NHS? Do any clinics offer financing that someone in my financial situation could be approved for?
Just because I can pretend everything is ok, doesn't mean it is. I disgust myself. I just don't want to relapse into that starving/binging/purging cycle.
If anyone can help, please, please do.

Hi and :welcome:!! if you can't raise the funds for private surgery, then the 1st port of call will have to be your local GP, he/she will be able to advise you as to the availability of WLS in your particular PCT and what hoops you're gonna have to jump thro to get to where you wanna be...just hope your doc is sympathetic

yeah, thats the general impression that seems to be going around. I'll be seeing my new GP for the first time this week. New because this will be the first time I'll have seen a GP in england. Thing is, I'm from jersey and moved over here for uni and was just registered with the uni health center. Here's hoping my natural charm will help :)
Is there a quota for the surgery in seperate regions (eg Twicks, Sussex etc)?

hello, my gp actually asked me have i ever considered mayb havin surgery for weight loss, as i can not excerise myself, i broke my ankle 12 months ago had surgery, a metal plate and 3 screws, and i can harldy walk with out bein in pain so excerise is a no go. by the time i have finished work, i just cant do anymore. tell ur gp how u feel, and tell him everythin and ask him for a referall, i heard they cant refuse either (not sure just what i heard)

good luck xxxx

Last edited:
Hi Akra and:welcome2: to minis. Have a look on the bospa website and find out the criteria for funding in your area. If this state that you are elligable then go to your gp and ask him to refer you to a bariatric consultant and ask if he could apply for funding for you. Your gp may ask you to try other methods of weight loss first such as xenical.He may even ask you to go to the obesity clinic to get help there before he considers applying for funding for weight loss surgery. Some gp's insist you try other methods and will probably want to know what you have tried before.Good luckxx

Back