• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what to say to my doctor so he will put me forward for wls

Cat57

going to see my doc this morning to ask if he can put me forward for wls, i have a bmi of just over 50 and high blood pressure , on the nhs site it says that these are 2 of the 3 conditions you must have... but how do i ask my doctor for this... i have asked before and he said i have to have type 2 diabetes to be considered which i dont have, but have recently read up again and it says high blood pressure has now been added to this..... so desperate to have this done, just want to go about it right so as not to ruin my chances of being considered.. thanx

You have a high enough BMI and what they call co-morbidities. You probably already had your appointment and I hope it went well and you were able to speak openly and honestly about how your weight impacts on you day to day and also show the other ways you have tried to lose weight previously.
If you have run into any problems then try and find out what your local NHS guidelines are as these sometimes vary. The route you take when the GP is on board seems to be different for all of us too. But finding out what the criteria is and arming yourself with as much information as you can is only ever a good thing.

Good luck!

Just be honest is my advise talk about how been overweight has impacted on your life,high blood pressure,bmi,other health issues how you feel when out and about how you generally get about with everyday tasks do you struggle with things that most people take for granted ie walking the dog playing with the kids,walking anywhere, has it affected your mental wellbeing? what kind of eater are you, over eater,contant grazer,emotional? All this and much more gets some of us to where we were before we sat with our gp and truly opened up so I say it again just be honest and if your gp knows you it could be the start of something amazing!
All the very best do let us know how it goes x

You have a high enough BMI and what they call co-morbidities. You probably already had your appointment and I hope it went well and you were able to speak openly and honestly about how your weight impacts on you day to day and also show the other ways you have tried to lose weight previously.
If you have run into any problems then try and find out what your local NHS guidelines are as these sometimes vary. The route you take when the GP is on board seems to be different for all of us too. But finding out what the criteria is and arming yourself with as much information as you can is only ever a good thing.

Good luck!
Thank you.. last week I got 2 appointments through for the same day in march next year ( this will be my first appointments at the hospital). 1 for the morning and then a 2nd appointment in the afternoon.... but this morning I
Had a letter saying the 9.45am had been cancelled and a new App for December this year.... the 2nd app is staying the same(march next year) so things are mooing along.... I know just because I have these appointments it doesn't by no means guarantee I will have it done... but roughly how far down the line is it before I would find out if I will be accepted for the surgery thank you carol x

Great :) Let us know how it all goes x

Good news on the appointments. You will see from peoples posts that each area does things differently. For me, I was referred by my GP in January, first appointment at hospital was March (consultant, dietician, pyschologist) I think, then I had a group dietician apt in April and then another 1:1 with dietician in June and consultant in June where I was told that I was put on the list for surgery - current wait for surgery is about/at least 8 months. I opted to then go privately with the same surgeon. So here at least it is about 14 months from first referral to surgery. That is if you are referred direct to surgery without tier 3. Good luck!

Just be honest is my advise talk about how been overweight has impacted on your life,high blood pressure,bmi,other health issues how you feel when out and about how you generally get about with everyday tasks do you struggle with things that most people take for granted ie walking the dog playing with the kids,walking anywhere, has it affected your mental wellbeing? what kind of eater are you, over eater,contant grazer,emotional? All this and much more gets some of us to where we were before we sat with our gp and truly opened up so I say it again just be honest and if your gp knows you it could be the start of something amazing!
All the very best do let us know how it goes x
Thank you for that .. yes it's the Normal things that we take for granted when we aren't affected by our weigh .. I have had hip replacement on both of my hips as the wear an tear on my joints because even though I was obeise (hate that word). I was still very active .. up until my joints let me, then eventually I was housebound as I couldn't walk further than 10-15 steps .. they did replace my hips one 2015 and the other march this year ...but unfortunately my weight isn't letting me get the benifit of the ops I have so tried to loose weight,but like you all it's so hard when you have so much to loose..... I wish u all well with whatever stage you are at and thanks for the kind and helpful words

I saw GP in Jan 15 to ask for a referral. Got seen for first appt in May 15 and then psychology assessments and more dietitian appointments up to March 16 when they had a multi disciplinary team (MDT) meeting where i was then accepted onto the waiting list. Was told within 18 weeks (NHS guidelines) but it actually took 7 months (Sept 16) to get it done.

A lot will depend on how committed you are to attending the appointments, trying to lose weight (I was able to get two and a half stone off) and whether psychologically you are up for it, and of course NHS waiting lists!!

thanx sam you're doing brilliant almost 5 stone in a few months, must make it all seem worthwhile... can I ask was it just your BMI that you were referred or do you have other health problem, ( i dont expect you to say what they are) its just i have a high BMI and blood pressure, but no diabetes, also I have heard people on here talking about doing various different tiers, 1-4 i think... what are these did you do them,

I saw GP July 15 first appt was Sep 15 at homerton and op was in April 16 x
wow you have done brilliant starryeyed, have you found it hard going or not to bad, 11+ stone already I cant wait to do this.. well hopefully have the chance to do it..xx

I have my 2nd appointment tomorrow....im so annoyed with myself, this operation I have wanted ever since i first heard of it about 30 years ago, i have been lucky enough to be put forward to hopefully have it done and what do I do, behave stupidly and no weight loss for my consultant meeting what a idiot....I hope I get given another chance to show them this would be a dream come true for me, and i have at last realised that i have to help myself , and prove to them I can do this... wish me luck i am really worried that they will turn round and say thats it you missed your chance...:-(

Back