• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does this feeling every go?????

topsy

I am 11wks post op and all in all not bad on the food front - i am able to eat most things (although eggs are still a bit iffy).

The last couple of weeks i have a feeling in my pouch that sometimes feels empty (although i've eaten) with a sick feeling and as if i'm not going to tolerate the food. I sometimes wonder if i am eating enough in one sitting but i am obsessed with over-eating and i hate the full feeling as it leaves me feeling so bad for ages.

So will these feelings eventually go or will they always be here because if they are then i know eating food will be a chore.

Hope someone can shed some light on this - thank you xx

The feeling will go, dont forget you still quite early on and your tummy is getting used to a new way of life. I always think it's good when you are taking notice of what your body is saying because that shows it is working and you are doing what feels best.
lesleyxx

Hiya - going to be a bit hard on you here, but i mean it in the best intentions.

You have to start learning to eat to full restriction, avoiding the tight uncomfortable feeling in your chest when you fill your pouch isn't good, you'll end up avoiding harder foods and eating softer which allows you to eat more as it slides through the stoma, eating more will eventually lead to weight gain and isn't what you really want to be doing. Also consistantly eating slider foods will over a long period of time allow your pouch to stretch, again allowing more food down in a single meal and in turn longer term weight regain !

Your pouch is a tool and you have to learn how to use it properly, as i said on a different thread - those of us that are successfull understand restriction and how to eat to restriction each meal.

Dont worry to much about the sick empty feeling, thats goes and its going to take your body time to adjust and get used to everything, remember your pouch holds an amount of food that empties through the small stoma fairly quickly, when its empty it really is empty, for some the empty feeling takes ages to return for others its almost immidiately post op.

;)

I do eat the harder foods - not much of the slider foods (or as little as possible). I am experimenting with allsorts of food had a lamb roast dinner yesterday and i even managed a chinese (takeaway not man) on Saturday. I do understand it can be easy to slip back onto slider foods but i am trying to use my pouch as much as possible with everything really - it's just that horrible hollow, sick sometimes dagger pains and at the moment i have no pleasure in eating really. But i am pleased that the feeling will eventually go and my pouch and tubes will have a normal existance after all. Thanks for that SS

Sending hugs and fairy dust xx

Sorry I can't help as I'm pre-op. Just wanted to wish you good luck in sorting it all out!! Have you spoken to your dietician? I'm sure she/he will be able to help you out!!!

xxx

Topsy it does go and food will stop being a chore. Last week for me was tesament to this I actually enjoyed the food and enjoyed eating in other peoples company and didn't worry about being sick as I listened to my body and it just felt right if that makes sense.
Thanks Terri - eating is a chore but i do it as it's required and i am really lucky as i have only been sick once so really i don't have room to complain. It's nice to know the feeling will go and that eating will take on a more normal pattern - i've been out and ate in other people's company so that hasn't bothered me and i have listened to my body extremely well probably to the point of obsession as i don't want to be sick etc.

Your looking good Terri and the weight loss is great too - sending you hugs with fairy dust to keep up the good work xx

I'm sorry your still struggling Lesley. Can't give you any advice because I'm having problems myself still. I can't even get liquids down without feeling sick at the moment.

Hope it gets better for you soon.

xx

hello honey YES it gets better it just takes a long time to for you and your body to get used to your new pluming system,your doing great keep your head up and you'll start enjoying your food again soon x x x sarah

Thanks for that Sarah - it's just silly things really but if you don't ask then you never find out.

It is nice to know that this horrible feeling will go and just leave a normal feeling behind ahhhhhh.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments they are really appreciated - Bonita keep on smiling you will get there you are doing things i can't do like walking and swimming (although hoping for the go ahead from my GP later this month). Sending you all hugs and fairy dust xx

Topsy you are always so lovely sending words of support and encouragement to everyone.

May i suggest you send yourself some hugs with fairy dust, i really think you deserve it.

Good luck with your pouch xxx

Thanks for that Sarah - it's just silly things really but if you don't ask then you never find out.

It is nice to know that this horrible feeling will go and just leave a normal feeling behind ahhhhhh.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments they are really appreciated - Bonita keep on smiling you will get there you are doing things i can't do like walking and swimming (although hoping for the go ahead from my GP later this month). Sending you all hugs and fairy dust xx

I do hope that you get the all clear to start swimming etc soon. Just noticed your weight loss... WOW!!!! Thats brilliant love, keep it up.

xx

Just a thought - but are you taking antiacid tablets ? i've been prescribed them for two years ! the antiacid tablets stop the old part of the stomach from producing gastric acids which is what causes the sick feeling ! if not it might be worth talking to your consultant or GP about it.

No not taking any antacid's as they disagreed with me and i keep trying other's but they all make me feel sick so next time i see GP in the next week will ask to try some more. I take a sf polo after eating and i feel fine after this - thank you for the thought SS xx

Just thought I would share this with you all had a couple of desert spoons of home made egg fried rice tonight with my tea - plenty of chilli with it still can't do plain old boiled rice, bread or pasta. It was lush and just adds to the feeling that food normality does return and it's not all slops and boring taste less food.

No not taking any antacid's as they disagreed with me and i keep trying other's but they all make me feel sick so next time i see GP in the next week will ask to try some more. I take a sf polo after eating and i feel fine after this - thank you for the thought SS xx

This may be the problem your having here, most surgeons prescribe a strong antacid post op, you need to go back to your sugeon or provider and tell him/her your having this problem and see what they say ! you need to be on something like Laporazone, which will stop you feeling nausias pre or post food.

I'm not overly sure a sugar free polo will do you any good !

Back