• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling down

Cat321

Shrinking
Hi everyone

I'm just after some advice really I think.
I went to see my surgeon last week and I have my date, which is the 29th of this month. However since then, I've been feeling really down - like an empty feeling. Find myself crying for no good reason and just feel not quite with it.
It's not that I'm not excited about my op - I am, I can't wait but I just have this feeling that I can't get rid of. I can't concentrate at work and sometimes my chest feels almost painful (not in a something wrong with it way if you understand? Just that it feels so empty.)
Has anyone else felt like this? Thanks

:hug99: hugs Cat x x

I found when I got the date I had a low patch. It made me consider my mortality and really sit down and think realistically about the risks. It was like I'd fought for this for so long and now it was finally going to happen it was suddenly real.

For me, it passed after a couple of weeks. Is there anyone in your life you can talk things through with? I found talking to my hubby, although hard, helped immensely. Alternatively, use the board here to talk through any emotions thoughts and feelings that you need to.

The surgery is a huge life event, and it is bound to have an effect on you psychologically. You can handle this, you can deal with the emotions and you can pull yourself through.

If there is anything I can do please pm me, can always have my msn or mobile number if you want to talk.

I'll be thinking of you x

Shel

I agree with Shel, I definately went through a lot of weird mood swings before my op, I did feel really sad and I couldnt make out why, but I think on reflection it was that the big me was going forever, and I had been that person for over 14 years...and its a huge chunk of life in some ways. Everything will be different, I felt I might miss feeling familiar and knowing what most days would bring because change can be scary..its hard to explain to others why you feel that way because of course the op is a huge positive force, increasing health , life span etc..but yes I got very down before..after though you will feel better, in mind , body and spirit. The countdown to the op is definately the worst for your state of mind. you'll be fine xx

Thank you Shell. Good luck with your op tomorrow! I bet you are really excited!

I don't think it's really directly relating to the op, I'm fine with all that part, just can't seem to shake this empty feeling.
Thanks Neen, I think maybe you are right. Seems like a good explanation for how I am feeling.
Thanks guys x

Last edited:
Hey Cat

It's perfectly normal, I had a wobble after I had my date but have been fine since, hope you feeling more upbeat soon

xx

I think try to distract yourself a bit , you dont have long to wait now, really honestly after the op is a lot lot easier than the killer build up, your feelings are totally and utterly normal and understandable.. when you wake up in recovery you will feel so much mental relief and really appreciate waking up and taking your first steps to this new part of your life xxxx Its all good honest x

I know how u feel cat, i had the same , i had my op Last monday and before then if i'm honest i was in Mourning ! Like a bereavement knowing my crutch , my rock and how i see food was going to go and it was really hard. like saying good bye to an old friend ......BUT........It has totally gone now i have had the op. Don't be hard on yourself, cry if u need to. Don't analyse it. Your human and whe we go thru major change , our emotions are not in control. You are soooo strong to be having this op. Let this feeling just ride over you....There is another side ...i can assure u . xxx

Hi everyone

I'm just after some advice really I think.
I went to see my surgeon last week and I have my date, which is the 29th of this month. However since then, I've been feeling really down - like an empty feeling. Find myself crying for no good reason and just feel not quite with it.
It's not that I'm not excited about my op - I am, I can't wait but I just have this feeling that I can't get rid of. I can't concentrate at work and sometimes my chest feels almost painful (not in a something wrong with it way if you understand? Just that it feels so empty.)
Has anyone else felt like this? Thanks
Hi, can really relate to how you are feeling. felt very up and down before my op and struggeld to think of anything else. Think it's the realisation that things are gonna change and the impatience to have it done. Just remeber you are not alone and there are lots of people here to support you. (that certainly helped me) as i felt like i was the only one who was experiencing the low points!!!! keep your chin up hun and keep me posted on how you are doing x

Back