• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dont know if im coming or going ....in Birmingham

Hi all,

Im 28 years old 5ft 7, 23 st (and some) and a BMI over 50. I also have nerve pain from the waist down limiting the amount of exercise i can do (doctors dont know what caused it but are hoping weight loss will help it).

Ive tried everything to lose weight for years now but nothing works so I have finally got up the courage to go to my GP for referral to weight management at the hospital for consideration for a Bypass.

GP ran test to see if there was a medical reason why I wasn't losing weight... nothing showed up abnormal.
GP then said he would refer me for help but I needed to see a health trainer for up to 6 weeks first... however during the first meeting the health trainer said he didn't think he could help as I'm already doing everything he would normally suggest and sent me back to my GP.

I don't know what will happen next, I'm hoping my referral will go through but I'm not sure whether I will have to wait for ages and re-try different strategies through the hospital or even if I will get the funding for it. :sigh:

Other than your weight did you have any other medical conditions that they considered during funding talks ?

long did it take you from referral to surgery?

what sort of hurdles did you come across?

Sorry for the long message and all the questions. would love to here from anyone, especially if you had a BMI of over 50 and possibly in a similar area.

My BMI was 57 I started my journey nearly two years ago. There was a bit of confusion at the beginning as tier three was just getting started in the north east. However once that was sorted I was told that as my BMI was over 50 I only had to do a 6 month minimum - I went for my seminar in August 2014 and had my op in May 2015. I'm now over 9 stone lighter and can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done! Good luck with your journey! Xx

hello chunky
I cant recall my bmi level but at 28.5 stone at the start I can only guess it must have been high I badly damaged my knee ,work related so that and been overweight plus having had a major health scare(thankfully given the all clear) was the final kick up the bum I needed.
today ive marked 17 months post op and my life couldn't be any more different I'm around 15 stone walk every day Zumba once a week had a walking stick due to my knee not used one since sept
my whole journey from talking to gp to getting on the operation table was approx. 18 months I'm guessing that my health scare may have speed things up a bit but it may also be my neck of woods things were that quick(even at times it didn't feel like it )but I understand the rules have changed and it take longer so I got in at just the right time
I wish you all the luck in the world

My BMI was 57 I started my journey nearly two years ago. There was a bit of confusion at the beginning as tier three was just getting started in the north east. However once that was sorted I was told that as my BMI was over 50 I only had to do a 6 month minimum - I went for my seminar in August 2014 and had my op in May 2015. I'm now over 9 stone lighter and can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done! Good luck with your journey! Xx
Wow what a great loss, your doing so well.

What did you have to do in that 6month minimum, did you have any loss?

hello chunky
I cant recall my bmi level but at 28.5 stone at the start I can only guess it must have been high I badly damaged my knee ,work related so that and been overweight plus having had a major health scare(thankfully given the all clear) was the final kick up the bum I needed.
today ive marked 17 months post op and my life couldn't be any more different I'm around 15 stone walk every day Zumba once a week had a walking stick due to my knee not used one since sept
my whole journey from talking to gp to getting on the operation table was approx. 18 months I'm guessing that my health scare may have speed things up a bit but it may also be my neck of woods things were that quick(even at times it didn't feel like it )but I understand the rules have changed and it take longer so I got in at just the right time
I wish you all the luck in the world
You're doing fantastic, I think I have a little over 12st to lose and I'm hoping the wait isn't too long but once things start moving with my GP I'll be happy, it's just at a weird standstill at the moment as the health trainer gave up on me in the first meeting and it was meant to last 6 weeks for me to get the ball rolling.

Just wanted to say hi, I had my op in Solihull (Damson Parkway) I self funded my BMI was over 50, now its under 25 :) Good luck xxx

Hi all, Im 28 years old 5ft 7, 23 st (and some) and a BMI over 50. I also have nerve pain from the waist down limiting the amount of exercise i can do (doctors dont know what caused it but are hoping weight loss will help it). Ive tried everything to lose weight for years now but nothing works so I have finally got up the courage to go to my GP for referral to weight management at the hospital for consideration for a Bypass. GP ran test to see if there was a medical reason why I wasn't losing weight... nothing showed up abnormal. GP then said he would refer me for help but I needed to see a health trainer for up to 6 weeks first... however during the first meeting the health trainer said he didn't think he could help as I'm already doing everything he would normally suggest and sent me back to my GP. I don't know what will happen next, I'm hoping my referral will go through but I'm not sure whether I will have to wait for ages and re-try different strategies through the hospital or even if I will get the funding for it. :sigh: Other than your weight did you have any other medical conditions that they considered during funding talks ? long did it take you from referral to surgery? what sort of hurdles did you come across? Sorry for the long message and all the questions. would love to here from anyone, especially if you had a BMI of over 50 and possibly in a similar area. Thanks :)

Hi Chunky I had my surgery with heartlands hospital on the NHS I had a BMI 54 when I started out and nothing else wrong with me, I was referred January 2015 by the level 3 dietitian who I saw for 6 months before she referred me and I had my surgery July 7th 2015. Good luck with it all if you have any questions just give us a shout I'm more then happy to answer them x

Hi Chunky I had my surgery with heartlands hospital on the NHS I had a BMI 54 when I started out and nothing else wrong with me, I was referred January 2015 by the level 3 dietitian who I saw for 6 months before she referred me and I had my surgery July 7th 2015. Good luck with it all if you have any questions just give us a shout I'm more then happy to answer them x
thats fantastic,my referral to weight management at heartlands went through today. Pleased and a little nervous that im finally moving forwards.

Did you have any problems with funding going through?
what was your experience like of heartlands and Dr Super?

what has your weight loss been like?

Just wanted to say hi, I had my op in Solihull (Damson Parkway) I self funded my BMI was over 50, now its under 25 :) Good luck xxx
you have done fantastic with your weightloss. how did you find your skin responded afterwards, did it snap back?

did you have any trouble with any foods afterwards?

I had to lose 8kg - to be honest I lost more then put some on then lost again, so was still yo- yoing even then! Xx
i lost 3st a few years back and it flew back on, but other than that my weight sneakily climbs or stays the same.

im glad that even with yo-yoing at that point you still managed to get the help you needed and have been losing. it gives me hope. :)

From referral to bypass it took 2 years. I have only just had my bypass done on wed24th Deb 2016 .
It seems like a long time but to me I had been enquiring for many years but never fitted the criteria. There is allot to take in and it's not a quick easy fix. So enjoy your time and embrace all the help and information, you will meet many fantastic people along the way. I also have mobility issues. Xxx

From referral to bypass it took 2 years. I have only just had my bypass done on wed24th Deb 2016 .
It seems like a long time but to me I had been enquiring for many years but never fitted the criteria. There is allot to take in and it's not a quick easy fix. So enjoy your time and embrace all the help and information, you will meet many fantastic people along the way. I also have mobility issues. Xxx

did you have it done local to birmingham??what was being done in the 2 years? what criteria did you meet in the end?
how are you finding your bypass? have you had much loss so far?

ive been looking into this for a very long time and im ready, and very sure its not a quick fix.

thats fantastic,my referral to weight management at heartlands went through today. Pleased and a little nervous that im finally moving forwards. Did you have any problems with funding going through? what was your experience like of heartlands and Dr Super? what has your weight loss been like?

I had no problems with funding, my experience with heartlands has been brilliant the day I had surgery the staff from the student nurse right up to Mr Super was great, I was last on a list of 6 people and half way through the day Mr Super found the time to come out to me and explain the reason why I was last which I thought was nice. I seen Mr Super in March for the first time I was 22st 9lbs, day of surgery I was 19st 13lb today I'm 15st 8lbs, I've still no restriction in my band and every day is hard and some days I do struggle.

what was the price like there? i looked into there but they make you pay for the consultation even if you don't have the surgery,.

I went through The Hospital Group, I didn't pay a consultation fee I took a cancelation and haggled and got it for £9k

you have done fantastic with your weightloss. how did you find your skin responded afterwards, did it snap back?

did you have any trouble with any foods afterwards?

I have lost 12.5 stone I was 22st 7 now 10st I do have some loose skin but its not as bad as I thought it'd be especially as I was over 50 when I had the op, as for foods I can eat most things just in smaller amounts I think rice is one of the few things that I don't bother with as it sits like a lead balloon in my tummy :)

I went through The Hospital Group, I didn't pay a consultation fee I took a cancelation and haggled and got it for £9k

I have lost 12.5 stone I was 22st 7 now 10st I do have some loose skin but its not as bad as I thought it'd be especially as I was over 50 when I had the op, as for foods I can eat most things just in smaller amounts I think rice is one of the few things that I don't bother with as it sits like a lead balloon in my tummy :)
that's amazing. im hoping not to have to go down the private route, but its something ive considered for if i cant get funded.

im 28 so im hoping to have some snap back, i thnk my problem area will just be my stomach.

i had heard you can eat pretty much anything on the bypass but the band has alot more restrictions food wide. but i guess there are pro-s and cons to both.

was there anything in particular that made you lean towards bypass instead of band?

I had no problems with funding, my experience with heartlands has been brilliant the day I had surgery the staff from the student nurse right up to Mr Super was great, I was last on a list of 6 people and half way through the day Mr Super found the time to come out to me and explain the reason why I was last which I thought was nice. I seen Mr Super in March for the first time I was 22st 9lbs, day of surgery I was 19st 13lb today I'm 15st 8lbs, I've still no restriction in my band and every day is hard and some days I do struggle.
that great, I'm hoping for Dr super as I've seen his statistics and they are really really good. im looking at getting the bypass rather than the band but i know its not an easy fix and that its going to be hard at times, it will all just be worth it if i can lose the 13st ive got to get rid of.

Hi all,

Im 28 years old 5ft 7, 23 st (and some) and a BMI over 50. I also have nerve pain from the waist down limiting the amount of exercise i can do (doctors dont know what caused it but are hoping weight loss will help it).

Ive tried everything to lose weight for years now but nothing works so I have finally got up the courage to go to my GP for referral to weight management at the hospital for consideration for a Bypass.

GP ran test to see if there was a medical reason why I wasn't losing weight... nothing showed up abnormal.
GP then said he would refer me for help but I needed to see a health trainer for up to 6 weeks first... however during the first meeting the health trainer said he didn't think he could help as I'm already doing everything he would normally suggest and sent me back to my GP.

I don't know what will happen next, I'm hoping my referral will go through but I'm not sure whether I will have to wait for ages and re-try different strategies through the hospital or even if I will get the funding for it. :sigh:

Other than your weight did you have any other medical conditions that they considered during funding talks ?

long did it take you from referral to surgery?

what sort of hurdles did you come across?

Sorry for the long message and all the questions. would love to here from anyone, especially if you had a BMI of over 50 and possibly in a similar area.

Hey i was referred last year and still not got to the point where i seen the surgeon its a very long process i have been doing 9 months i joined the group called slim (monthly group sessiontalking anout different ways to lose weight) as it was the only way to see someone or you have to wait for appointments, now i have completed slim and awaiting my next appointments

Hey i was referred last year and still not got to the point where i seen the surgeon its a very long process i have been doing 9 months i joined the group called slim (monthly group sessiontalking anout different ways to lose weight) as it was the only way to see someone or you have to wait for appointments, now i have completed slim and awaiting my next appointments

Hi, Ive just completed my SLIM, going to seminar this month they meet consultant and go on the waiting list. hows your journey going?

Back