• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

dressing gown and slippers

BeaBea

Hi everyone, I receive a letter today confirming my date for surgery.

It's many years since I trained as a nurse and I don't practice anymore. The letter I received just stated basics e.g time to arrive etc., where to go, contact numbers and then what to bring ... this letter, current medications and dressing gown and slippers. There is no mention of wash bag, towels, nightie or a pre op assessment clinic or pre op diet etc., just when to stop eating and drinking prior to surgery. It almost sounds like a day surgery visit. Would be grateful to know how your surgery was planned.

I wasn't told to bring anything (although I obviously did). I was told I'd be out day after my surgery which I then found to be untrue. You'll be on fluids only the day after then puréed/soft food day after that & if you're okay then you can go home.

However, this differs from area to area & depends on your surgeon. I got separate letter for my pre-op assessment.

I took towel, toiletry bag etc.

Congratulations on getting your date & good luck.

Hi Beth im from Sheffield and although it differs from city to city, im very surprised that you havent been given a pre op.

I was ordered to lose 1 stone in 4 weeks, before i was put on the waiting list. Then i had my pre op which went well, and now im waiting for a letter for my date. Then i will have to follow a milk and yogurt diet to shrink my liver.

Iv been told it will be around 16th December.

I would be inclined to ring them and ask anything that you want to know lovey because to have this op without having had a pre op doesnt sound good to me because they check your bloods ect ....... Let us know how you get on xxx

I had my pre-op assessment a few weeks before my actual op..peak flow, ECG, MRSA swap, bloods, & I saw the consultant, anaesthetist, dietician & general admittance nurse all in one appt. I then received my letter regarding the actual op a few weeks later. I took my meds in, dressing gown & slippers, but also wash stuff, clean clothes & underwear etc, as I knew I would be staying at least a couple of days. I would suggest ringing to find out about the pre-op because your letter certainly sounds like it's for the op doesn't it...

Last edited:
Good luck with yours, BeaBea. My pre-op assessment is this coming Monday on the 18th. I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for this 'liver diet' thing cos i'm so used to eating meat and other normal foods.

Good luck Beth and hope the days fly past for you whilst you are waiting... it will soon come and go... sending love and hugs as always xxx

Back