• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery Disappointment

I don't wish to name them, it wouldn't be fair on the surgeon as he was not at fault.

UPDATE:

This morning I just had a large bouquet of flowers delivered from the hospital trust with an apology... Completely shocked me! I am just waiting on the official letter now with an explanation.

http://s10.postimg.org/okah2ar2x/flowers03.jpg

It certainly would be !

But as another member asked you to and to pm them if you didn't want to. I'm just making it clear to all :D

It certainly would be !

But as another member asked you to and to pm them if you didn't want to. I'm just making it clear to all :D

I feel it wouldn't, I feel the fault lies with someone on the surgery team - not the actual surgeon.

I just need desperately to get back on track... :eek:

Fingers crossed they come back to you with something really positive (like a new op date). I think i would also have gone off the straight and narrow after the treatment you've had. you certainly deserved better than that, especially as you had done absolutely every thing you could have to make sure the surgery went ahead. I will keep a keen eye on your posts. heres hoping its dealt with properly very soon.:wave_cry:

UPDATE

I got a letter in the post today, with a apology, in fact they apologised several times over. It is quite a lengthy response and I have not had time yet to absorb or take in all they say, but the main answer is 'Yes' they are sorry for the errors that they made, for instance they claim nursing staff on the surgery ward should have took baseline observations before I even saw the consultant and was discharged, and they should have especially recorded my weight. It seems also my weight should have been recorded on my notes at least 2 weeks before the surgery date, whereas it was done almost six weeks prior to the surgery date.

They also admit that I should not have been given a date for the operation until my HbA1c was below 75%, my was 78% at the pre-op clinic six weeks earlier. They also have a rule in place that for safety during and after surgery the recommended HbA1c should be 65% and less.

I should have also been told that I was being discharged from the surgery list when they cancelled the surgery and sent me home the same day, and a plan should have been made before I left the hospital by nursing staff on the surgery ward, i.e. a follow up appointment - none of which happened, I was just left to leave and arrange my own transport back home! In fact thinking back the nursing staff seemed distracted that morning and certainly not up to doing the job they were suppose to. Of course none of the nursing staff on duty that morning recall 'me' ...

I can go back on the list when my HbA1c is under 75%. And for now I will continue to see the one of the dieticians at the outpatient clinic.

I feel now I have some answers and certainly an apology from them - the flowers yesterday from the hospital was a lovely surprise, but certainly had me in tears for most of the day... :cry:

I do feel now I can close this chapter and complaint and begin to move on and get back into 'the zone' I was in last November, and work on getting back on track, controlling my blood sugar's and getting back on the list. I think I will try and forget the past 8 weeks have happened!

I am starting 'New Year' again on Saturday!

Thank you to everyone for your support!

If I can get around to it, I shall copy the letter / reply here, omitting of course any names / places etc. If that is ok with the moderators on the forum?

Fingers crossed they come back to you with something really positive (like a new op date). I think i would also have gone off the straight and narrow after the treatment you've had. you certainly deserved better than that, especially as you had done absolutely every thing you could have to make sure the surgery went ahead. I will keep a keen eye on your posts. heres hoping its dealt with properly very soon.:wave_cry:

Thank you! x

That sounds promising wandering star!!! Well done, I hope this is the start of a new chapter for you!!! I am sure you will soon be back on track, and you will have your op date before you know it, and you will be in and out and sat on the losers bench!!! Take care xxx keep your chin up!! Xxxx

I feel it wouldn't, I feel the fault lies with someone on the surgery team - not the actual surgeon.

I just need desperately to get back on track... :eek:

Ooooh no I meant it certainly would be unfair! You said it wouldn't be fair :confused: - and as I said we don't do that here anyway ;)

I'm glad you got a letter with some answers and an apology and yes it would be fine to post the letter, minus your personal details and any other names :D

glad you got somewhere with this bad situation and things are going to get moving again for you all the best wishes

Happy for you!!! At least you know it is not the end of the journey! Just a new begining! And i am sure everything is still in the future for you.

Good that you finally got the answers, explaining all the details for you.

Take care and stay strong!

Just an update still waiting, I seem to be stuck in Limbo, heard nothing official off surgery team, but I have seen dietician twice, back again next month.

Have to be completed honest January and February were difficult months in terms of depression, lack of motivation and food, but once the sun popped out, I am eating more healthily...

To top it off I have been getting a lot of pain upper right side, and as I suspect GP suspects Gallstones... great, have an scan booked next week to check it out!

I kind of feel like I have been left on the shelf...

How awful your experience has been I am not surprised you feel as you do ! hopefully you are now on the road to progress and the officialdom will catch up x

Any news? Hope you're okay xxx

Back