• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery Disappointment

Wandering_Stars

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice on a WLS matter. There is something I would really like to gain opinions on from others who are waiting or who have had WLS.

First off I am NHS Funded and planned for a Gastric Sleeve.

I had the pre-op, got my date, and followed the pre-op Liver Shrinking Diet for the 12 days before hand, having got the date 12 days before surgery. I was extremely excited and ploughed myself into preparing for the op before and after. From pre-op assessment to surgery date, I followed a low carb / low fat diet, there was no way I was going to screw up any chance of surgery being cancelled. I wanted to be as fit and healthy as I possibly could.

I was asked by the Weight Loss Surgery Team after my pre-op assessment bloods to start some additional medications, mainly Iron, Adcal D3 and recommence on Victoza, a diabetic med I have previously stopped five months earlier. I followed all instructions, and I also introduced an additional Multi Vitamin Tablet into my daily routine.

I even worked out I could have some pureed foods on Christmas Day!

All was going well, and when I weighed myself at home the day before surgery, I was pleased to find I had dropped 18lbs since my pre-op assessment weigh in some 5 weeks earlier. I knew all was going well weight loss wise, because my clothes were looser, and my blood sugars on the low side, I also felt better and certainly less bloated! I took my blood sugar at home at 6am before heading to the hospital for admission and it was 5.2, perfect. It had been spot on for several weeks since re-introducing Victoza and cutting out the carbs.

I get a lift to the hospital, and I am dropped off and get to where I need to be at 6.30, I have to be there for 7am. I went to a normal surgical lounge and was told on check in I was 3rd on the list and that would be afternoon. I found this rather strange as I was initially led to believe diabetics would be first on the list. Eventually the other bariatric patients arrive, and I presume they are 1 and 2 on the list for that day. Number 1 get’s called in.

I am called in about 20 minutes later and I am introduced to the anaesthesiologist, a very nice man who asks varying questions about my health, and relatives health – this is the first time for me to have a general anaesthetic. At the end of our chat, he tells me he has concerns about my HbA1C and that it was a little on the high side when it was checked. I tell him I am aware of this, but since that blood test in October, I have been taking Victoza as recommended by the surgeon. I even point out what my blood sugar was that morning. Despite this, he says my surgery might be cancelled and he needs to speak to the surgeon.

I sit and wait, reading my book... eventually a member of the surgical team arrives, not the top surgeon who I met in the clinic, but another Doctor. He informs me that having spoken with the team they were in fact cancelling my surgery, the only reason given was because of the high HbA1C – no actually date of the blood test was mentioned, but I was aware it was the middle of October.

I feel upset, to upset to really question it, and I call someone to come and pick me up. By half 9 I am back at home, confused and angry. I was not even asked by staff at the Surgical Lounge if I could get home ok or whether I needed hospital transport.

Now because this is rather long winded I will aim to keep this bit short. I will say I communicated via email with the surgeon’s secretary, but the information I got was sparse although she was extremely helpful. In all my communications (I have copies) I pointed out about my weight loss, blood sugar control, and there request to start certain medications, all of which I did. I was even more confused when I was copied into an email by a dietician the next day saying ‘does this lady know if she refuses to see me she won’t get back on the waiting list’ That was the point I learned I had been removed off the waiting list for surgery...

Eventually by the end of the week (the op date was a Monday) I had a copy of the letter the surgeon had written to my GP.

It clearly said I had been discharged, 'As there was some concern I had gained weight since my pre-op assessment thus indicating I had not stuck to the Liver Shrinking Diet.'

Now you can imagine my frustration and anger at reading that! The letter also referred to the HbA1C blood test result, but the date taken was out by six weeks... it was done the middle of October, and they had down it was done 3 days before the op date!

On the morning of the op, no observations were done, no blood pressure checks, no blood sugar checks, no blood tests, no check of my pulse, temperature and finally my weight was not checked!

Now you might understand why I am so frustrated, they claim I had gained weight, thus indicating I had not stuck to the Liver Shrinking Diet... How would they know this unless they got me on a pair of scales! I know my weight was 18lbs down!

I should also point out that number 1 on the list that day overheard the surgeon talking to me and later told me when I was leaving that they had cancelled on her a month earlier citing her blood pressure was too high.

Now officially I have a complaint in with the hospital, mainly over the lies in the letter, and inaccurate recording of information, such as the blood test date. I actually had an apology of the surgeon via a SMS, but unfortunately, I had already posted off my complaint hours before hand. Now I appreciate his apology and the kind thought to contact me and my issues are not with him, but his surgery team in general and the errors and inaccurate information which remains on my medical records.

To be honest a lot may think I am making a fuss over nothing, but to have surgery cancelled is one thing, to have it cancelled and be lied to is another. :eek:

Some weeks on now, I have gained the weight back I lost through comfort eating over Christmas... and I am beginning to realise how much this has affected me. I tried to convince people I was fine, but the reality is, it has knocked me into a depressive state, one I was gradually coming out of... I am now struggling to get up, I want comfort food all the time, I am unhappy and find myself crying at the slightest thing, – Weight Loss Ward last night on TV was the final straw! :cry:

I am still waiting to hear back from the hospital, had initial contact with the manager of the Weight Loss Surgery Team.

I feel guilty because I have not been strong enough to remain on track. I had so many ideas and plans of what I was going to do after the surgery, 2014 was going to be the year I finally lost weight and went back to work... instead I am left wondering if the WLS will ever happen. If I am truthful, I am doubting if having surgery at this hospital is a good idea... after all if they make simple mistakes and lie in letters, what else could go wrong.

I had so much trust in this hospital and surgeon, but I feel I have lost that now.

Sorry for the rant! :cry:

hi there i am also waiting for surgery i was originally told it would be in feb but then i got a letter saying they are holding off on it until i complete some more blood works that they wasnt even aware of until i mentioned i had some done a couple of weeks previous although its not anything close to what you have gone through i can say i do feel for you and know how disheartening it is

hi there i am also waiting for surgery i was originally told it would be in feb but then i got a letter saying they are holding off on it until i complete some more blood works that they wasnt even aware of until i mentioned i had some done a couple of weeks previous although its not anything close to what you have gone through i can say i do feel for you and know how disheartening it is

Thank you. I hope you get sorted with your bloods soon. It's hit me more than I imagined it would, been in a bit of denial for the past month... today though I contacted the hospital to chase up the complaint, and it seems I am having to see the dietician again... I am ok with doing this but it just seems to delay things further!

Oohhh. wandering star - I am sending u a big hug!!!! What an awful time you have had! My original op planned for 25th nov 13 was cancelled a week before due to a patient needing a theatre slot for a whole day. I was gutted at the time! I was rescheduled for fri 3rd jan 14, and all went ahead as planned, I am now 6days post op, all I can say to try and help is don't give up!!! I know it's easy to say, but try to think of how much you want this op and how bright your future will be afterwards!!!
My mum always says my brothers could fall in a pile of 'poop' and come up smelling of roses, whereas I have had to fight for everything I ever wanted - career, children ect..........nothing has ever come easy to me, so keep your chin up and try and be strong! Lots of love xxxx

I was horrified reading your post. I had a similar experience recently but it was nothing to do with WLS. How let down you must have felt. That would have brought me to my knees too.

The one good thing about having your surgery done at this same hospital is that they are going to make sure all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. I doubt they'll mess up again.

If I were you I'd show em. Get back on that pre-op diet and get that weight off again. You show em girl.

Good luck

Flaming heck, what a mess!!!

I wouldn't even bother with the head of the weight loss surgery team - I would go straight for the head honcho at the hospital, speak to PALS, approach Citizens Advice.

I hope this gets sorted soon xx

Oohhh. wandering star - I am sending u a big hug!!!! What an awful time you have had! My original op planned for 25th nov 13 was cancelled a week before due to a patient needing a theatre slot for a whole day. I was gutted at the time! I was rescheduled for fri 3rd jan 14, and all went ahead as planned, I am now 6days post op, all I can say to try and help is don't give up!!! I know it's easy to say, but try to think of how much you want this op and how bright your future will be afterwards!!!
My mum always says my brothers could fall in a pile of 'poop' and come up smelling of roses, whereas I have had to fight for everything I ever wanted - career, children ect..........nothing has ever come easy to me, so keep your chin up and try and be strong! Lots of love xxxx

Thank you, and good luck with the Post Op Diet! :)

I was horrified reading your post. I had a similar experience recently but it was nothing to do with WLS. How let down you must have felt. That would have brought me to my knees too.

The one good thing about having your surgery done at this same hospital is that they are going to make sure all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. I doubt they'll mess up again.

If I were you I'd show em. Get back on that pre-op diet and get that weight off again. You show em girl.

Good luck

Thank you... I am now stocked up on 'good food' in order to get back on track!

Flaming heck, what a mess!!!

I wouldn't even bother with the head of the weight loss surgery team - I would go straight for the head honcho at the hospital, speak to PALS, approach Citizens Advice.

I hope this gets sorted soon xx

I did... I wrote to the Chief Executive of the Hospital on the Saturday after the cancellation (which was a Monday!) I happened to post the letter the morning I got a very apologetic SMS from the surgeon (I missed two calls from him, so he texted me!) I emailed him back via his secretary thanking him for his reply but also advising him I had made a formal complaint which I had mailed off that morning... With that he did not respond again... I assume it was because it was now 'officially' a complaint it was up to the management to take over the issue.

I chased up the complaint with the manager yesterday and I am waiting 'apparently' for a date again with the dietician. She did offer me one next Thursday, but I am at college on Thursday and I do not want to miss class. I told her this and I am waiting now on her sorting out another date!

I will got through the whole dietician, weigh in, blood tests again to get back on the list... but I do want an apology for the wrong information being recorded in my notes, ideally I would like to sit down face to face to discuss the issue, normally I would shy away... but this is something I feel very strongly about so I am ready to face them!

Hi there, I'm horrified by how you have been treated! I can only imagine how disheartend you must feel. Chin up and stay focused xx

Well done wandering star!!! Xxx

Thank You!

Hi there, I'm horrified by how you have been treated! I can only imagine how disheartend you must feel. Chin up and stay focused xx

Thank You!

I've seen my GP today, I last saw him a few days after the surgery disappointment. Thankfully I had a good relationship with my GP, and I was able to be open and honest about the downfalls of how it has affected me since the op let-down.

Felt good to offload to him...

I came home to an email, I've been made an appointment to see one of the Bariatric Team on Monday morning... so we shall see what happens!

This is awful. However I'd try and focus on getting re listed and pick up the complaint when you have all this behind you x good luck

Keep emailing and ringing keep on at them!
Sometimes we have to do all the chasing...but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck x

This is awful. However I'd try and focus on getting re listed and pick up the complaint when you have all this behind you x good luck

Keep emailing and ringing keep on at them!
Sometimes we have to do all the chasing...but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck x

Thank you both of you. I met with the dietician on Monday and he was lovely. I talked about how I had fell off the rails at bit over Christmas, more so in the weeks following the op let-down. Admitted things were not good, but how I am gradually getting back on track.

I am seeing him again in a couple of weeks, and I hope to be back down to what I was on op day! Back on low carb diet and back to gym for some gentle walking up and down the pool a couple of times a week.

Dietician told me that the waiting list is not big at the moment, but I don't think having surgery is going to be an option before the 2nd week of March as I am going away for a couple of days and I really do not want to postpone my holiday especially since I am going with a friend.

We shall see what happens at next appointment.

Meanwhile the complaint is still with the hospital trust!

Can anyone honestly tell me if you were sleeved, how quickly you where back up and running - so to speak... If I could get the surgery in Feb would say 2 weeks / 3 weeks be enough recovery time before I go away. It's a light holiday, not major walking just seeing some concerts, so it's rather relaxed!

This made me so cross reading this. I really hope it's sorted soon. I was diabetic but the surgery and subsequent weight loss reversed my diabetes within two weeks. To refuse surgery based on your hb 1 , is ridiculous...seems to me like they had to cancel due to l lack of beds or similar. Very upsetting. Stay positive if you can..don't let this pile on the pounds.

Wandering star, would it be possible to know which hospital was it? Pm me if you dont want to mention it here..

I can not believe a hospital would treat a person like this!!!! They are dealing with people not animals! (even though it is not acceptable to treat an animal like that too).

Good luck!

I cannot believe that this has happened to you and the hospital could lie or 'mix up' your data in this way. Which could be dangerous, if could impact doses of medication, pain killers anything.

Your post reads as though they have mixed up your information with someone elses - lets hope they look into it correctly.

I hope you get some answers and they apologise for this, at least.

xx HUG xx

This made me so cross reading this. I really hope it's sorted soon. I was diabetic but the surgery and subsequent weight loss reversed my diabetes within two weeks. To refuse surgery based on your hb 1 , is ridiculous...seems to me like they had to cancel due to l lack of beds or similar. Very upsetting. Stay positive if you can..don't let this pile on the pounds.

I agree, it makes no sense at all, especially since my HbA1c was perfect up until July, it only went 'off the rails' between then and re-starting the Victoza in November.

Wandering star, would it be possible to know which hospital was it? Pm me if you dont want to mention it here..

I can not believe a hospital would treat a person like this!!!! They are dealing with people not animals! (even though it is not acceptable to treat an animal like that too).

Good luck!

I can't PM you since I have less than 50 posts. Perhaps you can PM me... I think a lot of people on this forum would be shocked if I named and shamed the hospital and surgery team!

I cannot believe that this has happened to you and the hospital could lie or 'mix up' your data in this way. Which could be dangerous, if could impact doses of medication, pain killers anything.

Your post reads as though they have mixed up your information with someone elses - lets hope they look into it correctly.

I hope you get some answers and they apologise for this, at least.

xx HUG xx

Thanks that is what I believe has happened as well! The annoying thing is, I suspect if I was to go private with this surgery, they would carry out the surgery regardless of what my blood sugars was!

I am still waiting an official response to the complaint, I should have heard something back by the 22nd. Will see if something comes in the post tomorrow, if not will telephone the person dealing with it.

Diet wise still struggling to keep on track. Feel completely let down by the hospital for there lack of communication over this matter.

I just want answers from them. :cry: I had plans to have my first holiday in two years in March, on the basis I would have had the surgery and lost some weight, now I don't want to go on holiday, the thought of getting on that plane and trying to squeeze in the seat... :cry:

I can't PM you since I have less than 50 posts. Perhaps you can PM me... I think a lot of people on this forum would be shocked if I named and shamed the hospital and surgery team!

You won't be able to send / receive or read pm's until you are over 50 posts.

Also, naming and shaming isn't something we condone on the forum, especially if you are issuing a complaint against them. This part of the forum is in effect public - posts can be 'googled'.

Omg I am horrified reading this!! I'm glad you are getting yourself back on track and fingers crossed you get your op soon x

You won't be able to send / receive or read pm's until you are over 50 posts.

Also, naming and shaming isn't something we condone on the forum, especially if you are issuing a complaint against them. This part of the forum is in effect public - posts can be 'googled'.

I don't wish to name them, it wouldn't be fair on the surgeon as he was not at fault.

UPDATE:

This morning I just had a large bouquet of flowers delivered from the hospital trust with an apology... Completely shocked me! I am just waiting on the official letter now with an explanation.

http://s10.postimg.org/okah2ar2x/flowers03.jpg

Back