• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dressings question!

Stephysimbow

Hi all :)

How long after surgery can you take your dressings off? I really can't remember what they said, and I don't have my checkup at the hospital for another 5 weeks, and I didn't think it could be that long?

Ta! x

My provider recommended keeping them on for 7 days post-op, but I think I caved & gingerly started to peel mine off after 5 days....I was say have a peek in a few days, if the wounds are still weeping/oozing, keep them on, but if the wounds look like they have healed well & are itching, that's a good sign so you could consider taking them off a little sooner than 7 days if they are bothering you. If you aren't sure, then just make an appt & pop to your Drs/nurse to get them to check for you xxx

You'd be best booking a dressing change and wound check with your gp practice nurse and finding out their opinion, as it will depend on what closure method was used, type of dressing, how you're healing and where the wounds are situated. If they put waterproof ones on you can still shower etc but not baths which cover the wound.

Mine were staples and one was just under my bra so some came off when the staples were removed but the one that could rub on my bra stayed on longer.

Ahh okay.

Got dissolvable stitches, with steri strips and then waterproof dressings on top. I've changed the waterproof dressings a few days ago (I'm 9 days post op) so got some fresh ones on, don't think they're bleeding or anything. But I have got an appointment with my GP on Thursday so I'll just ask him!

I'm craving a bath :) and wanted to go swimming, hehe.

X

My wounds werent covered so didnt have that worry, lol

so long as your dressing is clean and your wounds do not appear to be weeping then you should be ok 2 keep it on until you see your GP and get his advise. x

I had mine checked and change firstly after 2/3 days at gps surgery and then when I had my first check up at the hosp and that was about 7 days later and then when they gave me the all clear I took em off most of the day , but I did put the main port sight back on when I had trousers on , prob fear of something rubbing or catching it......LoL Not for long though they was all off about 10 days post op . xx

i didnt have dressings - my wounds were glued together but i would assume ur nurses at ur docs practice should be able to help with dressings

I was told 5 to 7 days, depending on how I thought the wounds were healing. they healed really quickly, so think I had the dressings off within 5 days.

Ahh okay.

Got dissolvable stitches, with steri strips and then waterproof dressings on top. I've changed the waterproof dressings a few days ago (I'm 9 days post op) so got some fresh ones on, don't think they're bleeding or anything. But I have got an appointment with my GP on Thursday so I'll just ask him!

I'm craving a bath :) and wanted to go swimming, hehe.

X

I hope this was a joke... you are NOT going swimming at 9 days post op!

rosejohnson said:
I hope this was a joke... you are NOT going swimming at 9 days post op!

I just meant I couldn't with a dressing on at any point so hoped I didn't have to have them on for ages!!

Not that I have a clue how long I should wait before swimming. Hmm.

No swimming until wounds are healed due to the risk of infection ;)

Back