• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-op wound dressings

Lisa-Em

Hi all, when did most of you remove, and not replace, your dressings?
I was sleeved on Sunday and have just had my wounds checked by my practice nurse. She said that they were fine and should be left uncovered from now on. I turned into a wuss and asked that they be covered until 1 week post-op. She recovered them with the dressings I'd been given by the hospital, then told me I'd need to pay a prescription charge to get more!! Thankfully the hospital have said that they will give me another couple of days-worth. What was your experience? X

I had a bypass and only the drain port was dressed, the other 5 incisions were not covered after the op (they had thin steri strips which eventually dropped off) don't worry about them not being covered, they will heal up ok as long as you don't soak in a bath or scratch them. Just keep an eye out for redness or itchiness.
Such a worrying time directly post op, you will be fine.

I think one week for the dressings but I was given extra to change them with if they got wet and I had to leave my butterfly stitches on until they fell off which was ages! They will heal much better in fresh air x

Mine were off 3 days after my sleeve and my wounds healed really quickly. x

I'm glued, I'm just worried about them catching on clothes and becoming infected...not that there are any signs of infection, like I say, I'm just being a wuss! X

I kept them on (changed 2-3 times) for two weeks. I was sutured. Could have had them off after a week, but kept them on longer for my own peace of mind.

I've been allowed a shower on day 3 post op and never dressed them again. Surgeon was very pleased to find the incisions undressed at the day 7 visit. He said that undressed wounds heal faster.
On day 17 post op I'm still not allowed to soak in tub but hope to be soon!

I left my dressings on for about a week, I'm 2 n half weeks post op now and there fine :) you'll be fine hun either way! Hope your feeling ok x

I left my dressings on for about a week, I'm 2 n half weeks post op now and there fine :) you'll be fine hun either way! Hope your feeling ok x

Thanks Kelly, I'm going to leave them on until I'm a week post-op. obviously not the same ones though!! I feel like I've had nothing done, just a bit tired! x

Well I've been brave...the dressings are off!! All beautifully clean with not a speck of anything on them. Thanks all for your sound advice. X

Thanks Kelly, I'm going to leave them on until I'm a week post-op. obviously not the same ones though!! I feel like I've had nothing done, just a bit tired! x

That's exactly how I've always felt, tired! It amazing isn't it when u think of what we have had done!! X

I know, I am amazed at how pain-free I've been. I must admit to having a bit of a 'poor me' moment earlier today though, thinking of something to try for lunch. I can't say that I'm enjoying the purée experience. Some tomato soup sorted me out thought so normal service has been resumed!

Snap Lisa, I too ended up having tomato soup as I couldn't think what to have.. this bit is tricky isn't it? Just appear to have a complete lack of imagination at the moment about what to eat! One thing I haven't tried yet is yoghurt.. has anyone else this soon after surgery? Will it make me 'dump'? I tried one piece of chocolate last night and sucked it for ages and it went down ok with no side effects. Obviously I won't be eating much of that but I'm just testing things at the moment to see if I will suffer from dumping as I hear other sleevers have.

Snap Lisa, I too ended up having tomato soup as I couldn't think what to have.. this bit is tricky isn't it? Just appear to have a complete lack of imagination at the moment about what to eat! One thing I haven't tried yet is yoghurt.. has anyone else this soon after surgery? Will it make me 'dump'? I tried one piece of chocolate last night and sucked it for ages and it went down ok with no side effects. Obviously I won't be eating much of that but I'm just testing things at the moment to see if I will suffer from dumping as I hear other sleevers have.

Its the texture that makes me want to hurl!! I've not tried yoghurt, but I have had low fat custard. From what I gather/hear about dumping its sugar-related. I would think that if its a low-fat, low-sugar yoghurt you'd be fine. I tried ice-cream the other day, not something I'll be having again, it made me feel ill, whether it was psychosomatic or not I'm not sure!

Back