• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking with food?

minxtress

I've been reading a lot in here that drinking with your food after a bypass is a no no and it's made me question whether drinking with meals pre op is a no no too.
I can't eat a meal without drinking but wonder if this isn't helping with my weight same as post op that the food isnt getting broken down properly in my stomach and calories going straight through?
Any ideas? Il try stop drinking with meals if this is the case

pre op its ok hun as you are eating enough and your body absorbs your calories etc..
post op.. the reason for not drinking before and after... as you are only eating small amounts your body needs to absorb all the nutreunts in the food... if you have a drink during eating the fod will just go straight through you and your body wont absorb what it needs and that can lead to malnutritian. im only five weeks post op.... but im nt sure at the later stages ie a year later if you can drin a little with food... that would need to be answered by someone in the know... and im sure they will be along soon xx

I am 18 months post op and very rarely drink with meals. Also if you drink with your meal you push your food through your stomach quicker which makes you hungry again sooner...

Pre op it makes no odds, but it is a good habit to get into now xx

I wouldn't dare drink with a meal,my little tum just wouldn't be able to hold food and drink.
I tryed it once when I was desperate and thirsty and boy it hurt my tum and made me feel sick.

That is definitely going to be the part I struggle with after my bypass then as I struggle to eat now if i cant drink aswell.
Il have to start changing my habits now I think

post op i would only really have a drink when i was eating... you will find after your op you wont struggle with this as you dont really facny having a drink wth your dinner... infact because you have to drink a lot of fluids inbetween meals... its nice having a bit of a break from drining lol xx well where i am now at 5 weeks post op it is lol x

Wish I could drink enough that's my problem bad since bypass

i was only drinking about 250ml a day and ended up in hospital a couple of weeks back with dehydration and a water infection.. 3 weeks on im still on antibiotics until wednesday. so please try an keep a dink with you at all times apart from meals obviously.
i told the hospital i was struggling with fluids and they said as long as i drunk 100ml (1ltr) a day then that is ok.
so now i have a tea when i wake, then i make up 500ml of nas squash in a bottle and drink that through the morning... i may have another cuppa later on and so on... i now find im having about 1200ml a day..plus my milky drink i have in the evening xx

Can you count coffee/tea as water intake?
I try to make up my sports bottle of juice and sip when I remember!
This year I need to make a few changes x

yes fluids are tea, coffee, bovril, nas squash, water, cuppa soups... im confused with the milky drinks though as some people say they dont count as fluids but some say they do... so i dont count them although i only have one (hot choccy) x

ooh there are other fluids aswell... im sure someone will come along and add some more x

I don't ever feel like drinking post op, pre op I used to have a pint of squash with every meal and take one to bed too! Now I am lucky if I get in 500mls. I actually went days with out any fluids but realised it's not good for you. Today I have had about 150 mls coffee and about 150 mls nas squash. I'm just going to get my bottle now!

a big telling off to you Marie... where is Gary when i need him!!! lol

I know, I am a nightmare with the drink, but one or two sips and thats me done, it gives me pain too.

you need to get that checked out hun... i worry cos i dont want anybody to get as ill as ive been the last 3 weeks... im a lot better now but im still on antibiotics xx

I'm fine, I would be straight down the Dr's if I had even a hint of water infection x

i didnt know i had one until i was admitted to the hospital.... i had shakes, shivers, hot and cold sweats, there was no sign down below.. no stinging, no soreness nothing... that didnt start until christmas when the 2nd lot of antibiotics stopped working. xx

I asked my surgeon yesterday about drinking when eating, he told me its because the food plugs the stomach and you could stretch your pouch or make yourself ill, he didnt say it washed the food through, more that you will fill up on fluid and food and could get sick.

phatmomma is spot on. It is a habit I have tried so hard to break and has probably been the biggest culprit in my comparatively slow loss (7.5 stone down, but still at least 2 more to go).

Many advocate 'water loading' some 1/2 hour before eating and then drink nothing for an hour after.

This is still a struggle for me but I do stick to it. If I drink too soon after eating I feel very full and uncomfortable. I'm also very scared of malnutrition as this is a very real possibility if we dont look after ourselves. It would be beneficial to get into the habbit sooner rather than later. Good Luck x

Back