• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Driving after op

girly girl

Hi was just wondering how long befor you all started driving again after your op
I no i need to ring my insurer and ask team and see how i feel
just wondering how long you waited
xxxx

2 weeks for me.I was keyhole surgery

Yes you are right. You need to ask your insurers as you might not be insured. I waited the recommended 2 weeks.

Its 2 weeks standard at Salford hun as it is abdominal surgery its the time it takes you to be able to do an emergency stop x

2 weeks for me, thats what my insurers say but you also have to make sure that you can do an emergency stop before getting behind the wheel.

As above, 2 weeks for me although i felt capable earlier, i didnt risk it!

i was driving after 9 days had no choice

my sara jayne was sick and i had to take her the night dr's and carry her in, (had to be the only night my husband had a drink that week and my eldest was at his dads so my husband had to watch matthew)

but i didnt drive proper (by my choice) for another week and i didnt like having the little ones in the car whilst i was driving for a few weeks incase i had a funny turn untill i gained confidence i wouldnt have a dumping etc
infact i have become a fanatic for not eating any thing before i go out driving just to be safe and if i introduce anything new i only do so of an evening.

The hardest thing i found when driving was getting the kids in the car seats the bending over seamed to pull on me.

Also in the first few weeks you are more tired, so if you have long trips try and break them up with little breaks
i found jurneys over 20 mins to begin with very uncomfortable

I never informed my Insurance company, so I just went off Mr Ammori`s advice he told me 10 days. and on the 10th day It was ace just to go wherever I wanted (shopping of course):D

10 days for me on the advice of MR ammorie and my insurance company were happy with that.

Without wanting to sound as though im preaching but only saying it because i care about all you peeps. If you drive before no matter what the reason and you were to have an accident be it your faultor not your insurance could be withdrawn. No matter how well you feel or what type of emergency crops up think about how you would feel if you had a collision with someone who wasn't insured and you only had third party insurance. But even more so if you did have fully comp insurance and you caused an accident and you were driving before yr allowed time you would have to pay out of yr pocket for the other drivers losses which could amount to thousands and thats just for the car never mind injuries. Then there is the possiable prosicution for driving whilst not insured.
just something to bear in mind before getting behind that wheel.

i didnt ask the insurance company before my op to be honest i didnt plan on driving for a few weeks as i expected to be in too much pain (which i wasnt),

i dont remember what i was advised re driving after exactly but from what i remember it was flexible with out a fixed time frame the nurses said it was more important not to drive if it was an open bypass and mine wasnt.
I was also discharged before i got to see dr Ammori after my surgery by a mix up so i didnt have any current advice from him.
i just went on the memory of advice from the 2 previous operations i had that year

i do agree with what hopeless case says about be carefull and being insured etc. incase of being in an accident.
in my case my daughter was v v ill her temp was over 40 and they dont do drs visits here any more
so i drove her out of necessity not choice and i wasnt volentry driving for another 7 plus days.
If i am being honest i think i would have still drove her (as long as i felt physically safe enough) even if i had known i should have waited 14 days exactly as she was v ill.

i was physically safe to drive but because of the fear of dumping etc i was mentally frightened for quite some time after wards more the fear of the unknown

Please dont think i have took any offence as i havent but i wanted to explain my reasons why and i hope i havent caused offence love sewingbelle

Hi all ,

I know I not had wls, but am surprised to see that the time period is so little and yet when I had me gallbladder op last month I was told 6-8 weeks till I can drive again, just thought I'd share this (hope no one minds) , but I guess each surgeon operation varies......good luck too all

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi all ,

I know I not had wls, but am surprised to see that the time period is so little and yet when I had me gallbladder op last month I was told 6-8 weeks till I can drive again, just thought I'd share this (hope no one minds) , but I guess each surgeon operation varies......good luck too all

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi, I thought it was until your surgeon had said you were safe again (as MeJulie says normally 6-8 wks).
If you drive before then and your surgeon or doctor hasn't said you can then (from when I underwrote car insurance) I seem to remember you are in breach of your insurance conditions and therefore you arent legally driving on the road.
I do remember after having cesareans (however the word is spelt) that my doctor said you are actually healed within 2 weeks but 6 weeks did apply for some reason or the other.
Why not check up with your surgeon / doctor when you see them just to be on the safe side though?

Thanks every 1 i will be asking my doc i was the same it was 6 weeks after my c section but thats open so hoping key hole will be less
Thanks
xxxx

10 days for me as advised by surgeon and i felt fine otherwise I would have waited longer. I just don't feel it is worth the risk, you know whenyou feel ready, your body tells you so listen to it!

Back