• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drs appointment tomo to ask for WLS

Romanyace

I’m a bit apprehensive about going and asking for wls, but if you don’t ask you don’t get?
I just think they will say no. But I have a bmi if 42, I have thyroid issues?I don’t smoke which I’ve heard is a good thing regarding the surgery ..... will this go for me??
I’m in Derbyshire

Can anybody give me any advice before my appointment tomo??

Thanks

Maria61

I’m a bit apprehensive about going and asking for wls, but if you don’t ask you don’t get?
I just think they will say no. But I have a bmi if 42, I have thyroid issues?I don’t smoke which I’ve heard is a good thing regarding the surgery ..... will this go for me??
I’m in Derbyshire

Can anybody give me any advice before my appointment tomo??

Thanks
Good luck Romanyace. My GP was so very supportive. I believe you have to have a BMI of 35 or over with a comorbidity like diabetes or high blood pressure or a BMI of over 40 with no comorbidity to qualify on NHS so you should be fine. Good luck xxxx

Romanyace

I’ve been and she is referring me. She was supportive, and said she can see I’m motivated for it which is good and that she will fully support me!!!!

I’m buzzing!

So she said that it can take up to 4 weeks to get my letter from the weight management team. What happens at that meeting. She said I will have to jump through hoops but I’m willing to do what it takes.

Does this normally mean I will get the surgery?

slimkim

Congratulations on getting your referral.

_Victoria_

My first appointment with the weight management team was just an appointment with the dietitian so you should be fine, it's nothing to worry about :D I'm in Birmingham though so i don't know if it would be exactly the same. But all of my appointments have been fine really.

Maria61

I’ve been and she is referring me. She was supportive, and said she can see I’m motivated for it which is good and that she will fully support me!!!!

I’m buzzing!

So she said that it can take up to 4 weeks to get my letter from the weight management team. What happens at that meeting. She said I will have to jump through hoops but I’m willing to do what it takes.

Does this normally mean I will get the surgery?
So pleased for you. Every hospital seems to do this differently but so happy your GP is so supportive. Good luck xx

Romanyace

Does this normally mean I will get the surgery as long as I do what they ask??

Thanks everyone, I’m just glad the ball is rolling now x

Romanyace

My first appointment with the weight management team was just an appointment with the dietitian so you should be fine, it's nothing to worry about :D I'm in Birmingham though so i don't know if it would be exactly the same. But all of my appointments have been fine really.

Have you had your surgery now? How long did u wait x

_Victoria_

I haven't had my surgery yet. I was supposed to have it on the 15th of this month but that got cancelled. Then i got a new date for today but then found out on Monday there was a mix up between two hospitals and now they gave me another date for the 29th of January but i'll believe it when it happens.
I had my first appointment back in November 2015 so its been quite a long wait for me but i don't think its that long in most other places.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Does this normally mean I will get the surgery as long as I do what they ask??

Thanks everyone, I’m just glad the ball is rolling now x

Yes @Romanyace, you have to jump through all of the hoops they throw at you and attend all of the appointments. You might also be given a target weight loss to achieve before they put you forward.

Good luck x

Romanyace

I haven't had my surgery yet. I was supposed to have it on the 15th of this month but that got cancelled. Then i got a new date for today but then found out on Monday there was a mix up between two hospitals and now they gave me another date for the 29th of January but i'll believe it when it happens.
I had my first appointment back in November 2015 so its been quite a long wait for me but i don't think its that long in most other places.

Oh my lord, that’s awful! What area are u in x