• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Uncertainty... baby or WLS!?

MumsTums

Hi lovelies,

I recently went to the doc to ask about WLS and to be put forward, my BMI is 52ish (I think - over 50 anyway!) so I thought I’d be entitled to referal immediately without having see a dietician as I’d read NICE briefly. Anyhoo turns out I have to be sent to see the dietician who will instead refer me. I have been told the surgery is nearly 2 hours away (oh joy), but my main concern is after reading today that you shouldn’t try to conceive/have a baby until at least 18months-2years post surgery. I didn’t know this and stupidly didn’t think about any of this when going to see the doc. I want to have a baby in the next 6 months to a year ideally as my youngest is 22 months, I do not want a big gap like my previous child and am now in a dilemma of what to do and what to say when I’m referred. I don’t want them thinking I’m messing them about, I want the surgery, but having another child is important to me too (is going to be my last). Prospective baby will be a Caesarian due to previous 2 caeserians. What to do, or think... it’s all a bit of a whirlwind in my mind right now. Need some advice x

That a tricky one, I think you need to consider that you could have to wait a year give or take for surgery when you consider dietitian and waiting for referral then the assessment period followed by the waiting list, add to this the time you have to wait following surgery before conceiving it would definitely be a larger age gap than you originally wanted.
Only you can decide but if you have a baby first you can begin your wls journey when you’ve recovered from the birth and had time to adjust and enjoy your new baby at least you know your family will be complete so you can concentrate on wls.
I’m sure your team will understand and would indeed be pleased that you’ve considered all of this before you begin
Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Going to be a bit controversial here but a pregnancy and ultimately a c-section birth is going to be high risk at your current weight (I'm sure you know this already by the way). Surely it would be better to have the op, get to a healthier weight and have a less high risk pregnancy/birth?

It can take a number of years to go through the process but if you are having second thoughts or doubts then talk them through with your partner and when you see them, the dietician.

I completely understand you wanting another child and get the not too much of an age gap thing too but maybe its time to think of you for the next couple of years? xx

Back