• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping Syndrome / Sugar Substitute

ok, sorbitol if eaten to much can effect your bowels, terrible wind and diarrohea (imtype 1 diabetic) i used to when younger eat diabebtic sugar free sorbital based products and i used to have horrendous side effects...... i was told at the time by my endichronoligist to avoid diabetic products and just have a little of what you want from every day foods including the odd bit of sugar. hope this gives you an insight xxx

No, artificial sweeteners don't cause dumping.

I have been having the odd diabetice chocolate of toffee over the last 2 weeks and have had no side effects - thorntons dark diabetic chocolate's is very nice and the 4 small squares is enough to stop the craving for chocolate. If you stick to small amounts ev ery now and again you should be fine. I am very sensitive to sugar and have experienced no side effects so far. X

Dumping syndrome can not happen from sugar substitutes because only sugar causes dumping. However some people even with only a small amount of sugar alcohols (malitol, sorbitol, any sweetner with 'ol' on the end) can have wind, intestinal cramps and diarhoea. This is not very common but can happen, it is more likely to happen if a large quantity is eaten at one time.

I've been sucking on the odd packet of sugar free mints to get my bowels moving a bit, its a little bit nicer that crushed up senna but would advise eating too many.

Dumping syndrome can not happen from sugar substitutes because only sugar causes dumping. However some people even with only a small amount of sugar alcohols (malitol, sorbitol, any sweetner with 'ol' on the end) can have wind, intestinal cramps and diarhoea. This is not very common but can happen, it is more likely to happen if a large quantity is eaten at one time.

Oh yes! I once ate two packets of Thorntons diabetic toffees. Phew! I learnt that lesson!

Back