• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much is too much???

didi

Hi there

Can anyone out there give me some advice please.

I've been reading lots of threads and information from other web sites and I'm in need of assistance.

I understand why too much sugar, fat etc is a no-no after bypass surgery and causes dumping (I'm waiting for a date) but can anyone tell me how much is too much so that when you shop and look at packets you can avoid things that have say more than XX gm/100gm or is it all very much an individual tolerance level that is just trial and error until you get it right.

Hopefully someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

I think it's 4grms per 100 - not too sure, diet yoghurts etc. seem ok. Mind you, everyone is different and some people can't touch it whilst others seem to find it ok. I just haven't wanted to risk it. x x

Hiya hun - yeah everyone is different. I am only just able to eat fruit as it made me dump and im now 11 weeks post op. others can eat fruit fine and some sugar but bread makes them dump?! Its mad but its just trial and error.

Good luck xx

Yeah thats right everyone's different and what works for some doesn't for others.
I dont dump, or at least have full dumping syndrome, you can get very mild or full on dumping, just depends on your tolerance.

Yeah thats right everyone's different and what works for some doesn't for others.
I dont dump, or at least have full dumping syndrome, you can get very mild or full on dumping, just depends on your tolerance.

SS is right. I have found I can eat pretty much what I want sweet-wise, which is a b*mmer for me so I have to use old-fashioned willpower! Honey knocked me off my feet though! One of my friends on here is such a sensitive dumper that even a few tastes of a sweet chilli sauce on the end of her fingertip sent her into a full-blown dump!

I am quite sensitive to sugar as red mentioned and have found that if I stick to less than 5g sugar per 100g then I am fine. With milkbased products you will find a higher sugar content due to lactose sugars so you need to look at where sugar is in the list of ingredients and use your own judgement. And watch out for sugar in different forms too.

Thank you all for your help. I'm trying to wean myself off sugar before I have to but do like fruit so at least I know to watch out for that. It's the hidden sugar that will probably cause problems - tricky that one but I'll be on my guard now thanks to you all.

6 months down The line and I can torerate everything apart from veg. Sometimes I wish I did dump, like Red said its willpower when you aint a dumper and some of the slider foods start to slip back in if you aint careful. It is hard but everyone is diffeant I was told pre op that bread was a no go but I have no probs with it at all. Good luck in finding what the road you are gonna have to take its all trial and error

Back