• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What a difference a week makes.............

Meggie

Ok, ok I have taken a few days to finally get around to writing my tale but here it is!!!

I went to the hospital by 6.45 a.m. on the 19th of February. My Mum and lovely friend Roch came with me. I want to the 3rd floor and had to wait in the reception area of the Patient Admissions Unit as it wasn't open until 7. We just sat there with some other nervous looking people, and we were all trying to work out whether there were any other WLS patients there as everyone who has surgery are admitted to the same area.

We were then asked to sign in and taken down to the PAU ward. It wasn't the ward we'd finally end up on. Just an area to have all pre-checks etc before the op. I was last to leave the PAU and I didn't leave for my op until about 12 so lots of waiting around!! It was also really cold so i crawled into the tiny bed and had a little nap!! During my time at the PAU I was given blood tests, weighed, told all about my op by at least 3 different people, saw two anaethetists, and probably a few other people I've forgotten. I was also given a blood-thinning injection. Then I changed into my gown. I originally asked for a bigger gown but was given one that was way too big (for those of you nervous that the gowns won't be big enough, don't be!! I'll post a picture tomorrow to show how big the gowns get!!). Then I walked down to the theatre.

Firstly I sat in the anaesthetic room until they finished setting everything up. The nurse stayed with me until one of the anaesthetists came. She just started chatting about my life and work etc. I had been really calm up to this point but I nearly started crying and had a little mini-panic here!!! I'll be honest, even up to this point I was convinced I was going to die!!! The anaethetist explained what the room looked like so I felt prepared when I went in. Then I went through and saw the bed in the middle of the room. The actual room wasn't as I'd expected. It was far less clinical and more relaxing (obviously apart from the big bed in the middle!!) than I thought it would be. I had to sit down and they spent a few minutes reassuring me. Then started putting in all of my canulas etc, all of the while talking to me and reassuring me that its all good!! I had an oxygen mask on the whole time and I felt a bit nauseous at this point!!! They also told me I was going straight on Victoria Ward at this point instead of going to HDU. There were a few other people buzzing around but it was mainly very relaxing. Then they knocked me out (with drugs!!!).

I woke up in recovery and was quite nauseous. I was only semi-conscious at this point. Then I was wheeled onto Victoria Ward. I saw my Mum who has since said was shocked at how awful I looked!!! They chucked me in bed, explained about the Morphine pump etc then left me to it.

Everything up to this point was absolutely fantastic and cannot be faulted!

I have debated putting the next bit as I know there are a few upcoming Whit patients but I have decided to mention it so if they have the same problems then COMPLAIN STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!

Victoria ward is not great!! It is clean and the nurses are generally pleasant. But they are massively overworked. The other patients on the ward consisted of slightly senile older patients, one of whom kept on asking where my baby was as she was convinced I came onto the ward to give birth. Sadly many of these patients were not able to use the toilet so had many accidents.

My morphine pump stopped working at about 8 on the first day after and no-one managed to sort it out so I was in agony all night and for some of the next day. They didn't even give me paracetamol at this point, depsite me asking many times. I also still had my catheter in and it didn't work properly. They also didn't sort this out until they finally removed it two days later! I got the impression that some of the things that are done on the ward is for convenience rather than for the good of the patient!!! The nurses on the ward clearly have no idea of what we're allowed to eat/drink. I was offered fruit juice, chicken pie, toast (every morning) and various other things. I obviously had to point out that I wasn't allowed any of these things. I was finally allowed some soup after insisting I was allowed some!!!

Overall, apart from an unnecessarily painful 2 days, my experience was positive. Everything up to going onto the ward was great, and I would highly recommend the Whit for this. However, Victoria Ward seriously need to sort themselves out!!! I have been lucky to been doing well since leaving and getting better by the day!! Had a really tired day but otherwise am feeling great!!!

Sorry this is so long!!!!

Nice read for me whilst I'm on nights!

Sorry you had a bit of a mare but glad it's all over for you and you can settle down to the hard work :)

Be great to see your progress

Glad to see you back here safe and sound. It just goes to show that it's not just picking a good surgeon that's important, it's going somewhere with nurses experienced in wls too.

Glad to see you back hun, sorry you had a bit of a bad experience, it should be up to the Bariatric team to make sure the nurses who are dealing with you know what you can and can't have, personally i think there should be a ward specifically for Bariatrics, that way the nurses will know what our needs are :p

Ah u make me blush girl, hun i was so pleased i was there with u and ur lovely mum on such a special day of ur life.
Ur doing so well girl and i cant wait for another 8 weeks or so and the 2 of us are feeling goooood and are on my first night out in many years but def not urs lmao.
I think its good that u posted the whole truth bout ur experiences as their might be others who are Whit patients but have not posted yet and just lurking and now they know the full deal.
It makes me so upset and annoyed to hear the pain u were left in but thank god ur out of pain and doing fab and soon at the rate ur going u will be a "skinny minny" lol.
Take care girl, will buzz u this afternoon, sorry not been in touch the past few days xxx

So pleased everything is going well now Meggie xxx

Sorry to hear about your probs with the ward. But it's great to post the truth so others know what to expect.

Your doing so well. x

Thanks for sharing your story Meggie - pleased to see you doing so well :D

Good to have you back Meggie, i look forward to seeing a lot less of you (weight wise lol) in the future. Hope you are soon back to your normal self with a spring in your step xx

Glad op went well cant wait to hear all the news of your weight loss soon
keep on keeping on

xx

Good to see you back on line after such a horrid time.
I wasn't allowed morphine but they gave me some other drug and that kept me resonably pain free, they should have gave you somthing!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's all in the past now,so just keep looking forward.
Sue.

Thanks all!! Too tired to respond to everyone individually! I am feeling so much better than I thought I would at this point. Am struggling to eat/drink enough but I know I will have to get my butt in gear!! Back to work in a week! I actually feel like I'll be ok to go back so thank god for that!!!

My Mum left today.........before she left she cooked enough little meals for the next 6 weeks (haha thats what it looks like anyway!!). Can't wait to get onto sloppies though as I'm getting sick of soup!! Can switch over on Friday. Yay!!!

Oh and I'm now 16 stone 8!! Haven't been this light in years and years and years!!! It's so nice knowing I'll never be this weight again either (as long as I put the work in too!!!).

Overall I'm finding things a bit easier than I thought I would. Maybe I shouldn't jinx myself though!!! I still look at food adverts and think ooooh that'd be nice but as soon as the ad is over with the food is forgotten about!! In the past I would've spent the next hour debating whether to get it and/or ordering a takeout!!!

Thanks so much for posting your story Ellen...I read every single word so slowly and carefully so that I could take it all in. It was so important to me as we have the same surgeon.

Generally it sounds like it was okay...but I'm horrified that they left you in that pain and didn't sort the pump out. That is terrifying. Poor you :( It makes me so sad.

I'm really glad you're feeling much better now - still can't quite believe you're planning on going back to work in another week though!

Speak soon lovely.

L x

No worries hun!! I've probably left out huge chunks of it!!! Those are the bits that I remember though!!

Don't worry too much about the ward! There are lovely nurses called Delia and Lily who will take good care of you! I will say this though............if something isn't right then speak up, or tell whoever is with you to speak up on your behalf!! I didn't want to be a nuisance at the time but looking back I should've complained!!! I think being on a ward with so many sick old ladies just made me think that whining about it when I'd put myself in that situation was just wrong!! However, now I obviously see that I should've said something!!

You will have LOTS of ups and downs over the next few weeks..........feel free to text/call if you need to vent/ask questions. So far it is the best decision I have made. I'm lighter than I have been for years and am starting to feel loads better, especially about my reflection!!! You'll have doubt. They are completely natural. I nearly cancelled my op 3 weeks before it! I know it is a decision I would've regretted!!

Welcome home Ellen! Glad things went well on the whole and welcome to the losing side! Now the exciting bit starts... :D

Cuppa xx

Glad you're home safe and sound and sorry you had such a harsh time on the ward afterwards. You can look forward to your new life though now. xx

Great to hear you're doing well now hun, although I'm not impressed at the way you were treated on the ward! Do we all end up on that ward or is it just for Heath's patients? Like you, I don't like to make a fuss but would hate to be left in pain for longer than necessary :eek:

Glad it appears to be quite normal to have huge doubts too! Keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing and having panic attacks at the thought of disfiguring my insides!! But then I think about how unhappy I am carrying this weight and can't see any way forward of losing it myself, but more importantly, being able to keep it off without having surgery. I want my life back!! :D

Looking forward to seeing your little car trundle on down the track as those pounds fall way too!! :hug99:

Back