• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping ?

lottie:)

Hello boys and girls,

Could somebody explain to me a bit more about dumping please, what is it ? And how do I know if it will affect me ?

Thx

As far as I know it's caused by foods which have a high sugar content.
Apparently, you can go hot and cold, feel clammy and dizzy and have diahrroea, luckily I've avoided it so far.
Em xxxx

You won't know if it's going to affect you 'til you're post-op and try something sugary. I don't dump which means I can eat anything - not good when you've got a terrible sweet tooth!

Just bypass, not band, it occurs because when they bypass the new stomach or 'pouch' doesn't have a pyloric valve, which means the contents falls much faster into the bypassed intestine. It hits lower down in your digestive system, much more quickly than before and it hasn't been mixed and broken down with lots of stomach acid like it would be without the bypass. It can happen with food high in sugar or fat x

That was a really good clear explanation of dumping shelleymarie, that even I understood.. I wondered whether they made a new valve at the stomach exit or if food just went straight through and now I know xx

For some reason I dumped sugar with my band? Don't understand why, but since my bypass 7 weeks ago i dump and feels exactly like when my band did it? Also the smell of McD and fatty stuff make me dump! Maybe my mind is keeping me on the straight and narrow .... At last!

anyone know if sleevers dump, i am guessing no due to the valve thing, but though i read somewhere they do?

I can assure you we do!

I dumped very early on on Options hot chocolate, and on an occasion where I drank too soon after eating.

Lol glad I could help :)

It's strange that sleevers dump, although I think I'm right in saying that it's less common that bypassers? Must be something to do with the size of the stomach too, not just the valve and bypassed intenstine. All I know is the thought of dumping certainly make you watch your sugar and fat content :D x

I dumped twice in the beginning with my bypass,but dont dump now so have to be calorie concious.I can eat anything now but smaller amounts.BTW dumping makes you feel like death!the second time it happened I was sat on the loo with squits,wretching into the sink, going hot and cold,head spinning and fading in and out of consciousness.lay on my bed and remember kicking of my boots ,the dogs joining me and passing out!It was horrible.Hubby was very worried.

Dumping syndrome is common after gastric surgery. It is a group of symptoms that may result from having part of your stomach removed or other surgery involving the stomach. The symptoms range from mild to severe and often subside with time. Although you may find dumping syndrome alarming at first, it is not life threatening. You can control it by making changes in what and how you eat. By controlling dumping syndrome, you will also be avoiding the foods that tend to make you gain weight.

Causes of Dumping Syndrome

After gastric surgery, it can be more difficult to regulate movement of food, which dumps too quickly into the small intestine. Eating certain foods makes dumping syndrome more likely. For example, refined sugars rapidly absorb water from the body, causing symptoms. Symptoms may also occur after eating dairy products and certain fats or fried foods.

Dumping Syndrome: Symptoms of the Early Phase

An early dumping phase may occur about 30 to 60 minutes after you eat. Symptoms can last about an hour and may include:

• A feeling of fullness, even after eating just a small amount
  • Abdominal cramping or pain
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Severe diarrhea
  • Sweating, flushing, or light-headedness
  • Rapid heartbeat

Dumping Syndrome: Causes of the Early Phase

Symptoms of an early phase occur because food is rapidly "dumping" into the small intestine. This may be due to factors such as these:

• The small intestine stretches.
  • Water pulled out of the bloodstream moves into the small intestine.
  • Hormones released from the small intestine into the bloodstream affect blood pressure.
Dumping Syndrome: Symptoms of the Late Phase

A late dumping phase may occur about one to three hours after eating. Symptoms may include:

• Fatigue or weakness
  • Flushing or sweating
  • Shakiness, dizziness, fainting, or passing out
  • Loss of concentration or mental confusion
  • Feelings of hunger
  • Rapid heartbeat
Dumping Syndrome: Causes of the Late Phase

The symptoms of this late phase may occur due to a rapid rise and fall in blood sugar levels. The cause of this rapid swing in blood sugar may be due to eating sweets or other simple carbohydrates.

The first time I dumped was off porridge 2 days post op I hadn't made it smooth enough. Git the squirts within ten mins and sweating like I had run a marathon. 19 months post op and now if I dump I fall asleep almost instantly so always very careful what I eat when I know I have to drive x

can just falling asleep be a symptom of dumping ???? i have been so worried because nothing makes me dump so far, but sometimes after eating something I just sleep, never thought that could be dumping!!!

Back