• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Duodenal switch ????

kandy

Hey everyone ,
I became a member of a DS forum as i was interested on the hows whys and wherefores of this surgery.

I have been in contact with a very nice lady in london who herself has had this procedure and it has changed her life .

My question is does anyone on here have any knowledge good or bad of this procedure .

Would love to know as i am feeling like i should have a consultation re this surgery but my family would be mortified !

Any response good/bad i will be grateful for !

XXX

Yes i posted a thread called - something like - Surgery then eat what you want about this

Etremely dangerous mon capitan.

Have a looksy on that thread.

Ivy

Hi Ivy,
Yes thats the thread i first heard about the procedure i have spoken to this women several times and she has lost 122 lbs in 8 mths she is very happy but there is also a man i spoke with who has been in hospital for a year since he had the switch done and he is suffering immensely has done alot of damage which is irreversible i know all surgerys come with risks but all opinions definitely taken on board thank you ivy xXXXx

????

Hi Kandy
Hope your ok taday?
I was wondering have you thought about Surgery 110%?I know we see alot in the press how great it is but it can also be extremely dangerous.
Have you tried any VLCD like Cambridge Diet,Lipotrim or Lighterlife?
How much weight would you like to lose?Let us know your story.
Just really think carefully about surgery as its a scarey option?:eek:
XXC

Hey i'lldoit,
I did CD , i ss'ed for just over 2 months and lost 3 stone i had aam which then turned into a planned day off and have never been able to get back onto the wagon since i have gained back 4 stone in 4 months since i came off to say i am desperate seems like an understatement at the moment trying to be strong and tackle things head on but i am suffering with depression at the mo ( i think ) and just cant see light at the end of this tunnel i would be satisfied to lose the 4 stone i have gained although to be a healthy bmi i need to lose nearer 8 stone and i just aint coping so good !

Have just binged to relieve the depression and at the moment i feel quite good but no doubt it will be back to bite me on the ass later !

Hey Roch thank you for that will PM you back and will check out the forum link x

Well today has been awful here we had very bad flooding here yesterday i have never seen anything like it in my life ! Horrendous ! As a result business has been very bad to day my car just failed its MOT £300 and my daughter needs a deposit of £70 for a school trip which is £460 so i feel like veering towards life threatening surgery will be light relief xxx

Hi Kandy,
Im sorry your feeling depressed ((((HUGS)))),I too suffer from depression due mainly to my weight.I did like you Cd last year lost nearly 3 stone in just under 3 months then regained it :( I also have tried and tried to restart Cd but have failed so im doing LL starting Wednesday as it teaches you how not to eat because of your emotions tell you too.
I hope you research weight loss surgery and find a TOP surgeon and we're all here for you whatever you chose :)
xxc

Thank you i'llldoit,
Good luck for wednesday i hope that LL is the answer for you i would struggle to afford CD at the moment although i aways find the money for choccy :rolleyes: i must be honest i fear taking the next step towards surgery but cant find a good place dietwise and everyone around me now has lost all faith in me so i feel like a failure even on the forum people kind of stop posti ng on your thread when you start to slide sad but true oh well off this pity trip and i hope you keep us all updated with your weightloss xxxxx :D

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]Hey Barb this pretty much explains it !!!!xxx
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
DSdrawing4.jpg
The BPD/DS combines restrictive and malabsorptive elements to achieve and maintain the best reported long-term percentage of excess weight loss among modern weight-loss surgery procedures. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Restrictive Component
The BPD/DS procedure includes a partial gastrectomy, which reduces the stomach along the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]greater curvature[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1], effectively restricting its capacity while maintaining its normal functionality. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Unlike the unmodified BPD and RNY, which both employ a gastric “pouch” and bypass the pyloric valve, the DS procedure keeps the pyloric valve intact. This eliminates the possibility of dumping syndrome, marginal ulcers, stoma closures and blockages, all of which can occur after other gastric bypass procedures. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]In addition, unlike the unmodified BPD and RNY procedures, the DS procedure keeps a portion of the duodenum in the food stream. The preservation of the pylorus/duodenum pathway means that food is digested normally (to an optimally absorbable consistency) in the stomach before being excreted by the pylorus into the small intestine. As a result, the DS procedure enables more-normal absorption of many nutrients (including protein, calcium, iron and vitamin B12) than is seen after other gastric bypass procedures.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Malabsorptive Component
The malabsorptive component of the BPD/DS procedure rearranges the small intestine to separate the flow of food from the flow of bile and pancreatic juices. This inhibits the absorption of calories and some nutrients. Further down the digestive tract, these divided intestinal paths are rejoined; food and digestive juices begin to mix, and limited fat absorption occurs in the common tract as the food continues on its path toward the large intestine. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]For more detailed procedure information, see [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Dr. Hess’ patient brochure[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]. For other detailed descriptions and illustrations, see the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]More Information[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] page for links to surgeon’s websites and more.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]History
The standalone Duodenal Switch procedure (without the accompanying gastric bypass as used in weight-loss surgery) was originally devised by Tom R. DeMeester, M.D. to treat bile gastritis, a condition in which the stomach and esophagus are burned by bile. In 1988, Dr. Douglas Hess of Bowling Green, Ohio, was the first surgeon to combine the DS with the Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD) form of obesity surgery. This hybrid procedure, known as the Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (or the Distal Gastric Bypass with Duodenal Switch), solves many nutritional problems associated with other forms of WLS, and allows a magnificent eating quality when compared to other WLS procedures. [/SIZE][/FONT]

I am still having regular contact with a lady from london who had her DS in April she has lost 100 lbs so far and is making a fab recovery i know i shouldn't think this way but i hve been told i cant ss and mustn't even diet (thyroid problems) so i am now playing what if again !

Why can't you diet because of thyroid probs? I have an underactive thyroid and understand it can make weight loss slow but have still been encouraged by GP to have a go!Love

Back