• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

duodenal switch

yasmine-samara

Hi,

I am having a duodenal switch operation on the 5th May and I was just wanting to ask if anyone else had had this done who could share their experiences with me. Everyone seems to have had the bypass and I can't seem to find anyone who has had the ds!!!!

hi yasmine, firstly good look with your op, could you explain the difference between a bypass and a ds for me i know they are similar but i do not know the itragate details of the differences regarding the plumbing of the 2 ops.

thanks

liz x

Last edited:
Hi,

As far as I understand with the DS you are left with a slightly larger pouch and the rest of your stomach is removed. the pyloric valve is left in place so there is little or no dumping and they almost completely bypass the small intestines, only attaching the outlet from the stomach approx 1 metre or so from the end so even less absorbption takes place. With the bypass only about the first metre and a half are bypassed. It is essential that you commit to following a high protein diet post op or there could be problems later down the line with malnutriton etc. I was told that genarally patients tend to lose 75-90% of their excess weight in around 18 months after surgery and the level of weight maintainence is better than the bypass. according to statistics 10% of bypass patients will experience some regain of weight.

I hope this makes sense and if I am wrong with the information please feel free to post and let me know!!

I am so excited about the op and looking forward to the rest of my happy, healthy, slimmer life once and for all!!!!

thankyou for explaining to me, its much appreciated, i hope you achieve what you want from your choice of wls xxx

Cant offer any advice hun. I am pre op waiting for bypass. Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck with your op and your weight loss xx

Hellooooooo :)

I can't remember any other DSers on Mini's, but there are a few who have had the sleeve recently, which is the first half of the DS procedure. The DS is relatively new over here, so there are far more bypassers around.

There is a group that meets monthly in Liverpool for wls patients, let me know if you want the details.

Shel x

Hellooooooo :)

I can't remember any other DSers on Mini's, but there are a few who have had the sleeve recently, which is the first half of the DS procedure. The DS is relatively new over here, so there are far more bypassers around.

There is a group that meets monthly in Liverpool for wls patients, let me know if you want the details.

Shel x
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in going to a meeting if that would be ok?
Do pre-ops go too?

Yes, will PM you the details. I don't go to that one, as there is one over here on the Wirral, but I looked at going a while ago and they seemed lovely when I enquired.

Shel

Shell so many congratulations on achieving a healthy BMI and your pregnancy!! I have followed you through your journey and am so very pleased for you x x x

Thanks Octavia :)

I had the DS 4 years ago. I'd be happy to tell you anything you wish to know. I can't PM you yet as I'm too new to the site. But feel free to ask me whatever you wish.

I had the DS 4 years ago. I'd be happy to tell you anything you wish to know. I can't PM you yet as I'm too new to the site. But feel free to ask me whatever you wish.

Great,

I have found someone else at last...lol!
I have so many questiions I don't know where to start!!
Did you have the full gastric sleeve aswell as the DS?
that is what I will be having.

How long did it take you to recover?
I am a student nurse and due back out on practice placement two weeks post surgery so I am trying to be very positive about getting back on my feet asap.
I love going to the gym (beleive it or not) and wondered how long do I have to wait before I can restart my exercise programme?

Thank you so much for your reply

Lins xxx

Great,

I have found someone else at last...lol!
I have so many questiions I don't know where to start!!
Did you have the full gastric sleeve aswell as the DS?
that is what I will be having.

How long did it take you to recover?
I am a student nurse and due back out on practice placement two weeks post surgery so I am trying to be very positive about getting back on my feet asap.
I love going to the gym (beleive it or not) and wondered how long do I have to wait before I can restart my exercise programme?

Thank you so much for your reply

Lins xxx
Sorry I never got a notice about your response. I know you had the DS already but let me see if I can answer these questions:

1. Yep, I had the full sleeve. They removed about 70-75% of my stomach;

2. I had a very hard, long recovery. Took 6 mos. till I felt 1/2 way like myself and 9 mos. till I felt like myself. I just couldn't figure out my stomach. Did I have to go? What did that cramp mean? Could I eat this or that? Once I figured it out, I was good. I was exhausted, of course, like everyone is. I'd say I was definitely out of the norm, tho. Most people I know feel pretty well by 4-6 weeks. Still tired (from the surgery, anthest. and not eating that much, of course) but ok. You have to remember you've been living with 1 stomach for ___ years and now have this new baby stomach for a matter of weeks. It's a whole new process of learning how your body works.

3. I didn't hit the gym till 9 weeks. My surgeon felt at leat 6-8 weeks before I should try to do lifting or anything like that. To be honest, tho, I'm not much of an exerciser.

Hope it's going well and let me know what I can do if you need more info.

Thanks for the reply.

I feel fine in myself, just still in a lot of pain as I am only 6 days post surgery but I am managing it with painkillers. I am dying to get up and do something but my body won't let me just yet. I am able to move more every day so in another week or so I am hoping to try and get back to some sort of normal life, ie. washing myself without help, driving, being able to walk normally etc.

I sent you some other questions via email through minis. I hope you don't mind?

xxxx

No, no problem. For some reason I can't get this thread activated. It says I'm subscribed, but I'm not getting the notices.

I'll check my email.

Back